Bolero head unit

Phil, I believe that is the latest version of gateway.

Ooh. Cool.

But does that still leave me with no PDC or climate no matter which version of Bolero I get or would these work on an early Bolero?

If they won't work then I won't bother and just leave the Stream MP3 in and find some nostalgic CD's to put in the changer and fill a CD with MP3s.

Phil

Will have to do a comparison next time I see you Simon. Trouble is it needs to be in the daylight really, which puts the next meet out of the equation!

Most noticeable is in the daylight, on a bright day (hard to come by at the moment, I know!)

There has to be a fix for this somewhere. Ive found a fw fix for dim screen on the 510 but nothing so far for the bolero.

Im on a mission to find an answer to this little problem

Ooh. Cool.

But does that still leave me with no PDC or climate no matter which version of Bolero I get or would these work on an early Bolero?

If they won't work then I won't bother and just leave the Stream MP3 in and find some nostalgic CD's to put in the changer and fill a CD with MP3s.

Phil

Phil, the gateway doesn't determine the Pdc or climate control I'm sure from what I have read. Ed or Wardy will be able to confirm

I upgraded my gateway to stop the battery drain after fitting the bolero. Used mine today in the sun and it was dim, turn sides on, screen lights up, turn lights off and stereo stays lit up :) easy, lol

Edited by zeffania
  • Like 1

Phil, the gateway doesn't determine the Pdc or climate control I'm sure from what I have read. Ed or Wardy will be able to confirm

I upgraded my gateway to stop the battery drain after fitting the bolero. Used mine today in the sun and it was dim, turn sides on, screen lights up, turn lights off and stereo stays lit up :) easy, lol

Exactly the same as the one I had.

zeff - i usually drive with my sidelights on (old habit) so does that perk up the brightness to acceptable daytime viewing?

Dave, it's more than bright enough in the sunshine. I normally have my sidelights on too as I find the trip computer too dull without being lit up in the sun

I have a bolero, aerial adapter and new revision gateway you can have for 200, drop me a pm if your interested.

as has already been said you Won't get pdc/climate info displayed and you may suffer the dimming issue?

Ok will do, I just thought it was a case of plug in and play...what does MY07, or 08 mean, thought it might have been a code in the service book but try as aim I ant see it...

Correct. Think I mentioned that earlier, as it seems to be presumed that the gateway upgrade will give the Bolero magical powers :D

PDC/climate display is related to their respective controllers. On a pre-FL, these controllers are not expecting, or designed to work with a headunit such as the Bolero or Columbus. When those controllers were originally designed, neither existed :)

So for example, if you fitted an FL climate unit to a pre-FL, it would then display climate adjustments on the Bolero display. PDC is more complicated, and expensive to do - but it can be done. Just don't see the effort/cost vs. improvement benefit myself!!

Ah right.

Won't bother then. The Stream MP3 works very well with a CD full of MP3's and very pleased with the sound (much better than the similar 8 speaker system in the Seat). The bass is actually pretty good and plenty of treble on the highs.

Also I still haven't filled the CD changer... time to dig out all the "Mix 97" and "Hits 2000" type CDs out! lol

And if that's not enough then there is the AUX to plug the phone in and stream internet radio etc (god I love all you can eat data!)

Phil

• Like 1

Ah right.

Won't bother then. The Stream MP3 works very well with a CD full of MP3's and very pleased with the sound (much better than the similar 8 speaker system in the Seat). The bass is actually pretty good and plenty of treble on the highs.

Still worth it Phil IMO. Better amplifier in the Bolero, more modern interface and the look lifts the appearance of the dash.

Still worth it Phil IMO. Better amplifier in the Bolero, more modern interface and the look lifts the appearance of the dash.

Echo Steve. Love the bolero in mine, sounds great and I like he features it has like traffic in memory or the memory card. Oh and it looks rather nice compared to the boring stream :)

There are 4 different Software versions on K version gateways, I think only one version is ok for upgrading the radio

I always worked on an L version. I had a K in my TFSI and that had to be upgraded due to battery drain issues.

So for example, if you fitted an FL climate unit to a pre-FL, it would then display climate adjustments on the Bolero display. PDC is more complicated, and expensive to do - but it can be done. Just don't see the effort/cost vs. improvement benefit myself!!

Steve, is that a straight swap or do you need to change any pins?