Bolero head unit

I have a 2010 octavia amd want to swap my bomero unit for a columbus sat nav unit. My local skoda dealer say itay not be compatible and need wiring adapters an a new facia plate can any kne help thanks

New faceplate - yes

Wiring changes - no, apart from you will have to get the GPS antenna as well as a Columbus

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all trying to sort out my dimming screen on the bolero and think it could be down to pre F/L octavia missing 2 wires for the gateway. Would someone be so kind with a F/L octavia with a standard bolero take a photo of there multi plug to see what is missing. Im going on the fact that the pdc upgrade needs 2 extra wires running from the control box. Thanks in advance for any pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Andy. After reading up on other car makes etc i think im coming at it from the wrong angle. It seems as if the head unit is permanently thinking its dark and so is showing a dimmed screen. So one of those wires must be telling it that its dark? Or... the dark setting is its natural state and theres a missing wire which tells it its daytime? If that's the case, i can't remember uf my stream display dimmed when the lights were switched on?

Could the fix be something as simple as finding which wire tells the Bolero how bright t should be and removing it? Then adjust the unit brightness down (a common complaint that is too bright) sit its bright(ish) day and night? Going to do more research ;)

IIRC Stream/mp3 displays aren't backlit until you put the lights on, then the brightness falls in line with the rest of the dash.

The brightness on Bolero is controlled by the CANBus. I put the lights on, wound the brightness right up, disconnected the Bolero, turned the lights off, wound the brightness down, reconnected the Bolero and watched the Bolero dim as soon as I put the lights on again. My conclusion is that CANBus says "set brightness level = x" instead of "Increase/decrease level by 1" - but this is very much just a guess.

It could easily be that, as Bolero wasn't part of the pre-FL setup that there is something missing or different to what Bolero is expecting.

However........

Have a look here

http://www.my-gti.co...pin-assignments

Shows the additional CAN connections.

It also shows:

3 - Multi-pin connector

.......11- Display voltage supply positive

When viewed as part of the ISO block:

http://en.wikipedia....ctor_pinout.svg

....it would seem that it corresponds to pin A6 (using A8 as ground same as 3.12) which is the illumination connection. It is shown as voltage and not data.

So maybe the voltage from the car is "too low" for the input on the Bolero?

However, my thoughts stop there as I no longer have a Bolero. My RCD310 (2012 model) doesn't have this issue.

• Like 1

Hmm. Pin a6 on the quadlock connector seems to be something to do with illumination. I think i might try and contact a skoda techy. Weird that early mk5 golfs don't seem to suffer when upgrading to a rcd510 which i believe is the same unit in every respect? Can the canbus be programmed?

Continuing my completely uneducated guesses about this problem... With the stream, turn the lights on and the unit lights up. With the Bolero, it (should) dim.

That would answer the question as to why it actually brightens (in some cases) if you turn the lights on. So... whatever controls that (can bus?) needs to be altered to make it the other way round - dim at night, bright during the day (ie. without lights on). Was there a touch screen option on early mk2 octavias? Wonder how/if the coding either in the can bus or gateway differs to a car that had the stream models fitted?

Determined to sort this despite not having much auto electrical knowledge!

Bit more info: http://www.isham-research.co.uk/quattro/wiring/Typ85/isopin.html

Pin 6 - illumination - +12v input to the radio when the car's lights are on.

In some radios this actually lights the display - in others it dims it, reverses the black-on-white aspect, or even changes the colour from green to orange. If the dashboard has a dimmer function, this pin should be connected to the dimmed part of the display. The wire to the cigarette lighter bulb - usually grey/blue - can be used.

More ramblings... Not sure if this is any use to anyone - I'm using it more as a repository for my own research into the matter!

http://volkswagen.workshop-manuals.com/golf-mk5/index.php?id=1831

This is the wiring diagram for the VW RCD300 which is a basic Stream-like HU which is back-lit only when the lights are on.

Looking at this and comparing it to the Stream on my desk, there are two differences. Whereas on the VW unit, pins 13 and 14 are unassigned, on the Stream these pins are for "RAD ON" and "MUTE EXT". All the other pins match the Stream.

So, bearing in mind that the RCD300 can be swapped straight out for an RCD510 with no dimming issues, I'm wondering now whether the Bolero/Octavia issue is down to these two additional wires the Stream uses which in the Bolero/RCD510 equate to "Display HV Can bus low" and "Display HV Can bus high".

Can't seem to find anything that sheds light on what these are but my (again, ill informed but best intentions!) logic says:

RCD300 with no assignments to pins 13 & 14 - rip out and replace with RCD510 and all works

Stream with (seemingly meaningless) assignment to pins 13 & 14 - replace with Bolero and get a dim screen. So I wonder what happens if I 'leave out' the wires for pins 13 and 14? Come 4PM I might go and give it a go!

• 2 weeks later...

You'll need to retrofit an OEM Bluetooth module.

So you'll need the module itself, mic, plus loom between the module and the back of the Bolero.

Plenty of kits available on eBay, or ask Eddie-NL on here.

• 1 year later...

There has to be a fix for this somewhere. Ive found a fw fix for dim screen on the 510 but nothing so far for the bolero.

Im on a mission to find an answer to this little problem

What was the fix for the brightness issue, I have a 2012 bolero in an 09 Octi and suffer this annoying issue, ALSO if you press and hold the setup you get another menu and it says aerial 1 off AND aerial 2 off... is that why I have such poor FM reception... (aftermarket amplified aerial fitted to roof but supplied with 12v from another source)

Can't seem to work out how to turn the aerials on OR is that to make them an active aerial ie 12v up the coax to power the amp ??

Thanks