how to enter radio code on Symphony HU

Kevin_Mc

I needed to jump start the car last night as i've neglected it all week and left it out in the cold, i've taken it a run and all seems well. I'll get a new battery this weekend though just to be safe.

Anyway, when i started the car the HU displayed "SAFE" then "0000". I left it alone last night then this afternoon i grabbed my 4-digit radio code from my handbook. I can enter the digits correctly, ie. it displays "5678" for talking's sake, but how do i get it to accept that? I've tried every button and none of them seem to enter the code.

I did a search on here and could only find a three year old thread that said either, "leave it for about fifteen minutes and it'll reset itself" or "Skoda don't give radio codes and haven't since 2001, take it to the dealers". Leaving it doesn't work, and as far as i know i have the correct code from than handbook.

I'm driving down to my mum and dad's tonight, about 110 miles in total so i'd like some music playing so that i don't go insane.

Please help!

PS. my actual code is not 5678, obviously.

Depends how old tha car is - the newer ones will self-code (turn the radio off, then ignition on, then radio on and it'll sort itself) but the older ones need the code entering and then the fast forward or rewind rocker pressing for more than two seconds...

Extract from the manual below...

Remember in the following steps to observe the right sequence and to enter the correct code as directly as possible.

Read and observe page 4 of "comfort radio coding" also.

• Turn on the radio. The display shows "SAFE”.

• After about 3 seconds "1000” appears in the display.

• Use the station button number 1 to enter the first digit of this code number.

• Repeat these steps with the station buttons 2 to 4 until you have entered the code number completely.

• Confirm the entry by depressing the control button (for about 2 seconds) or by pressing the control button.

The radio is now ready for operation.

Incorrect code number

If you enter the wrong code number inadvertently, the message "SAFE” flashes in the display. After a few seconds the message "1000” will appear. Enter the security code number again as described. If an incorrect code is confirmed again, the appliance will be barred for about an hour. After approximately one hour, whereby the appliance must have been left on for this time, the code number can be entered again as described in the above. This cycle continues until the right code number is entered.

If you no longer know the code number, please ask your Skoda dealer.

Page 4 notes...

Comfort radio coding

• Your car radio is equipped with an appliance-specific security code. The security code need only be entered when the radio is used for the first time in the vehicle. After the first input of the code number, the radio "gets to know” its vehicle. Accordingly, it is not necessary to enter the code number after an interruption of vehicle voltage either. The radio automatically checks the vehicle’s data when turned on after the ignition has been switched on. It is only necessary to enter the code number if it becomes apparent that the radio is in another vehicle. If you did not receive any appliancespecific security code, your vehicle is equipped with a comfort coding system for which you do not require any code. If disconnecting and

reconnecting the battery, first switch on the ignition with the key in the ignition switch and only then turn on the radio. If you nevertheless still wish to have the code, please ask your Skoda Dealer.

Ask a question, get an answer. I tried the ignition on then put the radio on but that didn't work - the long-hold of fast forward sorted it out though. The screen also flashed up saying "LEARN" so hopefully that's it sorted for the future.

• 4 years later...