Wide mouth bumper. A rough guide.

there is no benifit i have never said there is. its just if you cut it that much there is no need for it to be there. It is personal choice, nothing wrong if you want to keep it there nor is there if you decide to remove it.

Besides this is a thread about the wide mouth bumper not about crash bars.

• Like 2

Nice guide!

One thing i will say tho is that there isnt any need for any adhesive atall

Along the bottom of the bumper there are 3 (or more) wedge type blocks. These are held onto the bottom of the bumper with two screws each. I took these off, folded mesh at the bottom then refitted the wedge block things to sandwich it down. All the rest does slot in quite nicely :)

Great post by the OP.

Wether or not to keep the crash bar is a personal opinion. I didn't.

Let's not drag down a great "How to" thread, as there was no mention of the crash bar in post 1.

• Like 3

Nice guide!

One thing i will say tho is that there isnt any need for any adhesive atall

Along the bottom of the bumper there are 3 (or more) wedge type blocks. These are held onto the bottom of the bumper with two screws each. I took these off, folded mesh at the bottom then refitted the wedge block things to sandwich it down. All the rest does slot in quite nicely :)

thanks jake. i think it was you who told me about these before but they are not on my bumper and doesnt look if there was a place for them either. what year is your car? it might be an age thing.

Guest BigJase88

Another tip -

When using stanley knife use a heatgun on the blade inbetween trimming to heat the blade up. Which makes cutting through the plastic soo much easier

Another tip -

When using stanley knife use a heatgun on the blade inbetween trimming to heat the blade up. Which makes cutting through the plastic soo much easier

I've got a gas powered soldering iron which you can connect a blade onto, should be easy with that!

Guest BigJase88

So what size intercooler would you need to keep a/the crash bar?

You can trim your crash bar so the intercooler sits behind it!

See my photo and thats a mahoosive seat sport on

thanks jake. i think it was you who told me about these before but they are not on my bumper and doesnt look if there was a place for them either. what year is your car? it might be an age thing.

Possibly matey. Mines an 06 plate

Guest BigJase88

Yes jase.... I'm asking what is the size of a universal fmic I need for it to sit behind either crash bar without having to chop it apart?!

Well as the seat sport one is humongous you can fit almost any twin pass unit in there. Best idea would be to whip your bumper off and have a measure as i no longer have a fabia

The crash bar will need 'trimmed' in certain places but its still better than running without thats for sure :)

Does anyone have any idea how much difference it makes having a wide mouth bumper over the standard one? I have a Forge FMIC, however have not found the car lacking in performance out on track. It used to be quite noticeable with a SMIC that you would quickly get a huge smog out the back, when things were getting toasty.

I'd like a comparison of a FMIC with and without a wide mouth really, anyone got any results? Not sure how much difference it would actually make, if any.

Guest BigJase88

It will keep intake temps cooler for sure...

A lot of the forge fmic is hidden behind the stock crash barrier. Wide mouth and air holes in crash bar would make a nice difference especially on track

Great guide Joe! I'm undecided at the moment, looks good on yours.. If someone with a wide mouthed black magic VRS could post a few photos up then I could be persuaded. SS FMIC, Darkside hard pipes and egr delete going on soon :D

Where are people mounting their number plate after doing the wide mouth?

I quite like the sticker one jase used. Any idea where to get legal ones?

Can't get legal ones mate... Only legal on certain cars like jag e types etc

Guest BigJase88

You wont get any bother with a 3/4 sized front plate sticker

As long as the rears legal a cop car will never really pull you!

Even after being stopped a couple of times it was never even mentioned