rSAP to Hands free profile

I have a 60 plate Elgance which I have had from new and a Blackberry 9320 which until recently used to connect to the car kit in what I presume was HFP as I was able to transfer calls to and from the handest and car without dropping the call. Now all of a sudden I find this is no longer the case and the matrix screen now states that it is connected in 3G and Premium mode.

If I was casual user of the phone in the car this would not be a problem but as project a support engineer I have to use it lot whilst in the car and it really is not suitable if I have to sit there until I finish the converstation before I can either drive of or get of the car. The phone displays a message telling me that it is connected in rSAP mode and this prevents me from doing anything else with the phone even if I'm parked up with the ignition on,it completely locks the phone up, so I'm unable to read emails etc while talking which I could do before.

The phone has not had any software updates etc and neither has the car. Any ideas?

Edited by Graham Butcher

Hi,

You can try by disabling the SIM Remote profile from your phone.

1. Select the top section on the home screen, and click

2. Scroll down an select Bluetooth Connections

3. Click the Blackberry button and select 'Options'

4. Scroll down and uncheck SIM Access Profile

You may need to delete the connection between car and phone and reconnect again. Those steps will disabale the profile for all connections, I am sure you can just disable it per connection but I cannot verify the steps as none of my connections supports SIM Access Profile (rSAP)

Hope it helps

Hi Dusty,

I know what you mean, that menu was on the 8520 because I had to do that on my phone / car combo which was a Mk1 Superb and that worked, but there is no option to unselect rSAP or any other profile on the 9320. All I am presented with is an option to activate Bluetooth by ticking the box or unselecting it.

The Maxidot does offer an alternative SIM setup but fails to what the they are, but selecting either puts me back into rSAP mode again, so I'm still stuck.

Thanks for your kind suggestions though, I hope a resolution can be found before the car gets replaced in Novemember.

Graham, what network are you on?

Since Vodafone upgraded their system, whenever my Nokia 5230 disconnects, the phone now detects an error which is sent to Vodafone who then send me two texts to update phone settings. If I accept the changes, it no longer works as a smartphone, so I have to reset or ignore the messages (26 or more per day).

Vodafone's only suggestion is that I replace the module in the car, use a different hands free kit or by anotehr car! I then ask Vodafone for a job as they must obviously earn enough to be able to make such a suggestion viable.

Skoda have said I would be best changing network provider which is easier said than done when our phones are provided by our employers.

Graham, what network are you on?

Since Vodafone upgraded their system, whenever my Nokia 5230 disconnects, the phone now detects an error which is sent to Vodafone who then send me two texts to update phone settings. If I accept the changes, it no longer works as a smartphone, so I have to reset or ignore the messages (26 or more per day).

Vodafone's only suggestion is that I replace the module in the car, use a different hands free kit or by anotehr car! I then ask Vodafone for a job as they must obviously earn enough to be able to make such a suggestion viable.

Skoda have said I would be best changing network provider which is easier said than done when our phones are provided by our employers.

I'm on 02 and we have been with them for about 10 years and I have had the BB 9320 working seemlessly with the car kit and all of a sudden it stopped and since then the phone always displays a message about being connected in rSAP and sometimes it says SAP mode and the only way to remove that message is to confirm that I wish to disconnect the phone. What makes it worse for me as it is both a company car and phone and I'm the only person out a fleet of 14 who has a Superb as a company car and all my colleagues say that their phones work perfectly OK with their cars, I don't get any assistance from the company.

I shall be replaceing the car in November this year and would like to have another Superb but if the phone does not work I may be forced to look else where for a car which I don't want to do as I'm 6' 4" and and have 3 sons of similar heights I need a car of that size for safety reasons. My manager has a Audi A4 and even with the seats pushed all the way back, my knees are wedged against the dashboard in his car.

Problem solved,

In case anyone else is having the same problem here goes with the solution

1/ Make a bluetooth pairing.

2 go to "options", press OK

3/ go to "Networks and Connections", press OK

4/ go to "Bluetooth Connections" press OK

5/ select the paired device and press OK

6/ select "Full Menu" press OK

7/ select "Options" press OK

8/ scroll down to "Services and deselect the tick in "SIM Access Profile"

9/ Press return and select "Save" press OK.

The phone locked in Handsfree Profile and will work seamlessly with Columbus car kit, transfering calls to the car kit when entering the car and switching the ignition ON and again transfering back to the phone when switching ignition OFF.

Edited by Graham Butcher
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is going to sound retarded Graham but were those options selected on your phone or the Columbus?

Sorry but I have been to busy to visit the forum recently so I have only just seen your question. The answer is the options were all on the phone, there are no menus anything like those on the Columbus.

Edited by Graham Butcher

RS3100 - I have had the same problem of not being able to stop the texts from Vodafone.

I think that I have the answer:

The rSAP is a better protocol than basic hands-free as it uses the car hardware and antenna to make phone calls, hence better sound quality and less drain on the phone handset battery enabling it to remain in the pocket without the need to use a phone charger all the time. In the case of the Audi system, the connection is also used to power the data services which provides Google Earth satnav images, google traffic to enhance accuracy of TMC, etc.

For those unaware of the rSAP technology, the car has a fully fitted GSM compatible phone, with its own SIM slot in case it is needed. This hardware has its own IMIE number. For those with phones with bluetooth that can support rSAP, the SIM inside the phone is "virtualised", and sent to the car phone hardware via bluetooth which "virtually inserts" that SIM as if it was removed from the phone and inserted in the SIM slot in the car. In reality, the SIM remains in the phone, but the phone also collaborates the story by behaving as if the SIM was removed, showing "No SIM" on the screen. When the engine is switched off, the opposite happens, where the SIM is "virtually removed" from the car phone hardware, and "virtually returned" to the phone handset.

Since Vodafone believes the SIM has moved from one device to another, it sends this configuration message. When moved back, it sends it again. And again, and again, and again.

1) Call 191 and speak to Customer Services.

2) Select the menu option for Technical Support, possibly labelled as "Problems using your phone".

3) Explain to the operator that you need to be put through to Level 3 support to make a change on their "VDC" system.

4) You might need to be put to Level 2 Support first, so you may need to repeat the request.

5) Eventually, you will be in touch with Level 3 Support. Instruct them to set your phone number on their "VDC Blacklist" which is a list of phones that should not be sent the Configuration Messages.

Be insistent, and don't be fobbed off. they should be able to sort this once and for all.

Hope this helps

Dave

• 2 years later...

I have a 2010 Superb elegance and a Samsung Galaxy A5.

I have been having the same issues and have have had an unbelievably frustrating experience in dealing with Vodafone however I appear to have stopped getting the messages by deselecting the SIM access on my phone. 

I have had such poor service from vodafone that I have now raised a complaint with them. 

I will try and get the VDC blacklist bit done.

Interestingly much better explanation of the issues here than similar topics raised on the vodafone forum.