HID Aftermaket kit - Help for definitive how to

Quick question chaps, does the ballast get hot? I was planning on mounting them on the outside of the light housing with double sided pads then retaining with long cable ties for now. Thanks

I can double check these at the weekend.

But from memory - option 1 just front fogs did throw the bulb error, & I know that byte 17 bit 2 bi-xenon without additional beam is set to Zero

I think I see where your heading with option 2 - I'll have a test & feedback once done

Option 3 - I've tried that before - I seem to recall I had no full beam - but I'll double check.

Cool, yeah the idea is to confirm your ballasts DO ACTUALLY give a dipped beam(s) bulb error on the maxidot with the coding set to standard (they should do as they are non-canbus but we need to confirm)

And which bit and byte code the fault out correctly.

activating Byte 17 bit 2 shouldnt have any affect on the errors and any other light operation (just does nothing)

Activating byte 14 bit 3 on its own should code out the error but leave the DRL / side light inoperative

Activating Byte 14 bit 4 (manually) on its own is hopefully the winning ticket :-)

Let us know how you get on as it may benefit a lot of people

Quick question chaps, does the ballast get hot? I was planning on mounting them on the outside of the light housing with double sided pads then retaining with long cable ties for now. Thanks

Mine are slim ballasts (although not the slimmest / shortest ones I've seen) and they can all fit directly in the headlight under the projector, they are kept nice and dry there and they only get warm NOT hot. Been fine for ages now.

XPower, are you ever near Birmingham, Coventry or Warwickshire? If not would you code these bad boys on my Blackline if I came to you. Beer money included!

If he isn’t then I am up near there on the 23rd / 24th.

I live in Stourbridge which isn't far from b'ham but my girlfriend lives in Sheldon not from b'ham airport and often on weekends I can be there.

You should try ordering them and see if they generate a bulb light first. Which kit are you ordering?

Edited by xpower

Just bought these:

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1497.l2649

These are what a lot of people on here are using (the Londoncolour ones as above).

I did have a problem with mine (one of the ballasts didn't work). They sent a new ballast arrived the next day after reporting it. Very good service and all working great now.

Oh and go for 4300K... it's very OEM looking!

Phil

Phil the link you provided says these aren't canbus friendly, are you sure it's these ones at £28.99?

G

Phil the link you provided says these aren't canbus friendly, are you sure it's these ones at £28.99?

G

That's right.

The correct way to do it is get non canbus ones and then code the car with VCDS to tell it has xenons. There have been issues reported of the canbus "friendly" ones frying control modules!

They are the exact ones that I bought and that many others have bought. Now confirmed fully working without bulb errors etc on pre-FL and FL cars.

Phil

• Like 1

That's right.

The correct way to do it is get non canbus ones and then code the car with VCDS to tell it has xenons. There have been issues reported of the canbus "friendly" ones frying control modules!

They are the exact ones that I bought and that many others have bought. Now confirmed fully working without bulb errors etc on pre-FL and FL cars.

Phil

Cheers bud, need to buy these

G

Cheers bud, need to buy these

G

Mine arrived the next day after ordering. Also when one of the ballasts didn't work they were very apologetic and a replacement arrived the next day. Very good service from them!

Great price too.

Phil

Hi - just a confirmation - by ticking the Xenon Headlights (without Shutter) installed & then changing Bit 5 to be a 1, this has worked. Both Xenons & DRL's working as they should be, no bulb warnings either.

This is on a 2012 VRS using the London Colour NON canbus HID kit....

Massive thanks

Looks like I have the same CEM as you on my 2011 vRS.

May look into getting a set of these.

Question though in your picture and my LCoding the description for Byte 14 Bit 3 is Bi-Xenon Headlights (with shutter) installed, where are you finding "Xenon Headlights (without Shutter)" as I can't see it anywhere ?

Thanks.

It’s not actually labelled, but it is Byte 14 Bit 4, you need to change the Binary code to enable it.

What threw me is that Dave has bit 3 ticked as well in his screenshot :rofl:

Been a few years since I've had to manipulate binary, we used it a lot when disk and memory storage was limited back in the 80's :rock:

Paul

I’m pretty sure he mentioned earlier it’s actually a cut and paste mock up rather than the actual screen shot.

Yes here it is:

Yeah, just to confirm this screenshot is a mockup and not real, just made with paintbrush :-)

As its been said, you can just manually change the binary code next to the byte number

Mine was changed from 10000001 to 10010001

Xenoncodingnew_zps611e06da.png

If we get a few different people who fit ballasts and get errors, then perform the coding change and are error free we can send the info to ross tech who can look and research into adding the label to VCDS.

I think you will find that RT have omitted the Bit on purpose, there stance on retro-fitted HID’s is pretty clear:

Xenon Headlight Retrofitting Policy

Ross-Tech will gladly assist registered customers with Xenon Retrofits which make use of the Factory equipped Components but we cannot help with Coding incomplete Retrofits or even HID Conversion Kits. A good explanation of why HID Conversion Kit's are questionably legal can be found here. The Installation of HID Conversion Kits may not just be illegal but can also cause Damage to the Cars Electronics. These Points sum up what we have seen over the Years.

• Central Electronics Control Module (J519 / Address 09) failure is highly possible and the cost of our Reputation and Vehicle Repair(s) outweigh the benefits for the End User's Retrofit Job.
  • Wiper Motor Control Module (J400 / Slave of Address 09) failure is common due to Voltage Spikes in the HID Conversion Kit Electronics. This is mostly caused by low Quality Components being used by the Vendors.
  • Laws and Vehicle Regulations vary greatly Internationally. We cannot be responsible for the Legality and Compatibility Issues when assisting with some of the Retrofitting Requests.
  • It is the Responsibility of the Vendor/Distributor to provide Instructions for the Installation of their Products and inform the Customer of any legality Issues when they are installed.

The Adaptive Frontlight System (AFS) is quite advanced and cannot be summarized here with much detail. The interaction of the G85 (Steering Angle Sensor) and level sensors on the suspension is critical for proper steering and leveling operation and most importantly safety of oncoming traffic.

The Factory Xenon Lighting System typically includes the following components:

• Central Electronics Module (J519 / Address 09) capable of supporting Xenon Headlights.
  • Xenon Range Module (Address 55), generally mounted inside the Vehicle).
  • Level Sensor(s) on the Suspension.
  • Proper Output Stages which also act as Control Modules inside the Headlights and are Sub-Systems (Slaves) of the Range Control Module.
  • Headlights designed for Xenon Components.
  • The Motors, Ballast, Bulbs and such in the Lamps.
  • Wiring to and from all of these Components to the new Range Control Module, The Gateway and respective Components.

Registered Customers can Contact Ross-Tech with a complete Auto-Scan from the vehicle IF all of the above mentioned components are installed.

Kit fitted! No issues. As I have an Elegance I didn't have the sidelight issue so bit 3 enabled only. Scanned before coding and got the 2 bulb errors and a gateway error. Coded and cleared the errors. Job done. Just need some darkness now.......

Good news....I have reset the 09 central electronics back to how it came from the factory, with the HID kit in & get a bulb warning on the dash, so definitely no resistors in sight & not canbus friendly ballasts.

So to the testing:

Firstly, I have tried the Byte 17 bit 2 on it's own & this lost me the high beam, but kept my LED DRLs.

Secondly, I have tried the Byte 14 Bit 3 on it's own which has worked, but lost my LED DRLs.

Which leaves the Mysterious Byte 14 Bit 4 - so set this to 1 in the binary (on it's own) & all appears to be working fine, no bulb warnings - still have main beam, plus all other lights appear to be working - could this be a masked Xenon without shutters??

This is my actual screenshot from VCDS - as setup & working:

WorkingByte14Bit4_zps5fbecf8f.jpg

All on a 2012 VRS, with non-canbus HID kit from London Colour on ebay - incidentally the 4300 are very close to original.

Now just need some spare bulbs & some LEDs for the number plates :)

Thanks to vectra1 & powerx

Result.

Edited by dave11
  • Like 1

I imagine the OE HIDs will just have a standard ballast so the coding must be there IF you can access it. This must apply on any CAN system, I can't see any manufacturer using a system that contains a method of fooling the canbus

Also forgot to include the controller details earlier: 1K0 937 087 Q, BCM PQ35 H