HID Aftermaket kit - Help for definitive how to

Hi silver1011

The Xenons never stopped working. Even after having the J519 replaced they worked OK without any bulb warning light on the dash.

That is why I assumed that the coding was correct.

Mark

Hi silver1011

The Xenons never stopped working. Even after having the J519 replaced they worked OK without any bulb warning light on the dash.

That is why I assumed that the coding was correct.

Mark

My HIDs worked for a week with the wrong coding. Then started playing up bulb errors going out etc. Once coded correctly all the odd behaviour stopped, and they're fine. Shouldn't cause damage to the ballast or bulbs unless they've been left to flicker for some time.

westfielder, on 26 Nov 2013 - 15:11, said:

I found a website with a description of a 21 Byte CECM. It seems very similar to mine and all the bits of byte 3 of controller 9 are the same - except for me in VCDS bit 4 for Xenons is blanked out

I manually coded it and VCDS gave the "Code accepted" dialog. But if I go back into the controller the bit has not been changed.

Any ideas on how to make it permanent would be gratefully received

Many Thanks

Nick

Hi nick I myself have an older 55 octavia did you Manage to get this sorted?

As this is my first post hi everyone :hi: :hi:

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to jump in on this long winded post but after reading all the posts I'd just like to clarify a couple of issues.

I've just purchased a 2010 (60) Octavia vRS and have moved from the dark side of a 330d BMW!!

The BM had xenons as standard and the Octi lights are poor in comparison, so I'd like to fit the Londoncolour HID kit.

I've contacted them to see which kit they suggest and this is the reply:

if you can coding the car,  then the normal kit possible to work, but may have some issue, like need few time start up when car is cold.
or flicking sometime.

we recommend to buy canbus kit for your car if you do not mind to pay the higher price.
detail see item:

250824574502, which  comes standard size ballasts and very quick start.
250901413997, which comes with mini size ballasts, and it is NOT as quick as the normal size one.

thanks

john

So that's really confused me as the general consensus on here is NOT to go for the canbus kit. I've got no problems in getting a standard kit then coding but can anyone tell me if there are any VDCS members in North East Lincolnshire or the area that could help me coding?

Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

London colour sent me canbus ones for a 2009 limited editon model as they said it was the correct ones for my car They don't work, just show bulb error on maxidot. I don't have access to VCDS so am guessing I can't get non canbus ones either and code it as no VCDS ? Any help ?

I live in Orkney a small island of the north of Scotland . Google maps it lol. So should I try getting non canbus ones instead of canbus ? Would it make a difference that I only fitted one and tried it before fitting the other ? Would they both have needed to be connected to try first ?

Non canbus will need coding, I guess there's not too many people with vcds in the islands. You could always be the first, although it will cost you around £250 for the cable. Do you make any visits to the mainland with the car?

Hi,

About to purchase the Londoncolour non-canbus HID 35w HID kit for my 55 Plate Octavia II 1.9 TDI Ambiente

Reading these forums I thought I would check that I could recode the controller first. I opened controller 9. I only see a 21 Byte string I have screen shots below of bytes 0 to 3 and 14 which seem to be covered in this thread but don't see any Xenon related bits - does this mean I'm a bit stuffed?

Many thanks for any guidance that could be offered - Nick

Your not alone Nick, I've got exactly the same issue with my 56 Plate Octavia II 1.9 TDI Ambiente   :sweat:  No option in VCDS for Xenons (Latest version 12.XX)

Did you ever get a solution to the problem? I've had to re-install the original halogen bulbs as they just kept turning off even with the cold diagnostics bit switched off.

Similarly, if I put high-beam on the dipped HIDs turn off

Edited by BeatMaster

Hello,

Will this work on 2007 Octavia vs and would it still pass an mot ??

Am not really keen on messing with electrics or DIY handy ( but saying that I did changed a whole car interior once just because i wanted red leather--- it was a great life me and four mates took us about 7 hrs lol shame the car broke a week later )

however if anyone who willing i can pay or if you know any shops that can do it...

Am just abit worried with a random shop doing i don't think they be bothered about mot and stuff.

i do miss xenon's they where great in my last car and with me working nights all over the north west i really noticed the difference!!

saying this i am booked in with shark performance next week i might see if they can help

thanks

and good thread

regards,

Stephen

Alright guys, thinking of doing this mod soon considering how cheap it is. Few questions:

1. Is there a major difference between 4300k and 5000k? Is 5000k likely to start dazzling oncoming motorists? That's the last thing I want.

2. Did anybody get a garage to realign their headlights afterwards or not bother?

3. If I code it before fitting, the car won't  'lose' the code as such will it? Still okay to use normal bulbs in the meantime even with HIDs coded in?

Cheers, Stu.

1) 5000k will be "whiter" than 4300k. Much more than 5000k and you'll start going blue.

2) Nope, just dipped a little using the adjustment wheel on the dash.

3) No. Yes.

:)

• Like 1

1) 5000k will be "whiter" than 4300k. Much more than 5000k and you'll start going blue.

2) Nope, just dipped a little using the adjustment wheel on the dash.

3) No. Yes.

:)

Cheers, think I'll probably go for 4300K to be on the safe side unless anybody highly recommends 5K instead.  :)

Is this the same kit as the LC kit? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330379335700?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_5320wt_954

It appears very, very similar and a couple of quid cheaper with next day delivery.

Also, I know people have mentioned if before, but there is a very high chance I might have to drive a day with these installed and not coded. Safe enough for just one day?

I had both sets

4300 and 5000 

went

5k on my first vrs

4.3k on my next one and missed the 5k instantly.

went back to 5k in my current vrs.

you wont regret 5k.

I had both sets

4300 and 5000 

went

5k on my first vrs

4.3k on my next one and missed the 5k instantly.

went back to 5k in my current vrs.

you wont regret 5k.

Nice one, 5K it is.

Anybody else be able to answer my queries above please, regarding the ebay item and coding? Cheers.

Edit: Just realised both sellers are London Colour. What's the difference in kits then beside the price?

I fitted HID Kit 5000K, no coding needed as bought canbus kit. Yes it is safe enough for just one day. Members have told me to buy non canbus kit but so far I had no issues. 

• Like 1

....the seller in that link is LondonColour ;) ;)

The HID coding shouldn't stop the halogens from working. (I've had to go back to halogen, didn't bother re-coding, no errors on dash - been like that for a couple of weeks now.)

....the seller in that link is LondonColour ;) ;)

The HID coding shouldn't stop the halogens from working. (I've had to go back to halogen, didn't bother re-coding, no errors on dash - been like that for a couple of weeks now.)

Cheers. So the kit is definitely the same then despite the price difference?

Edit: Too late, ordered it, £23.49 with Nectar points, not bad  :giggle: