HID Aftermaket kit - Help for definitive how to

I bought a 6000k canbus kit for my 2009 limited edition and they didn't work and put the error thing on maxidot. How did you manage to get canbus ones working on yours ???? I really want HIDs but have no access to coding .

Hey all,

Got the kit in the post yesterday.

I'm a bit hmm about the quality of these units, few broken cores in the wires here and there.

My issue is, the HID bulbs need the original metal clip to hold them into the bulb hole, you can't get this on though with the little rubber grommet that is on the cable?

Did everyone else just cut that grommet off or am I missing something?

Cheers, Stu.

The guy who installed it for me literally removed the wires off the connectors before threading them through the holder and then fixing them back to the connector. Top guy. Excellent workmanship.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Ok here's an easier explanation but a less subtle solution. Just snip the wires and then link them back together with some shrinking tube after you've threaded them through the holder.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Just cut off the grommet and then thread the bulb lead through the metal holder. I must say that the Londoncolour bulb is a far better design as it uses a metal ring (just like the old halogen bulb) rather than a plastic one.

All of the ballasts etc can be tucked away inside the headlight itself with no issues (on FL).

• Like 1

henu6ape.jpg

no I mean this thing because I can't thread it over the bulb or the connection on the other end?

Just feed the wires through it.

I did,

• Like 1

I got mine from LondonColour and they look like this......

2014-03-16211203_zps7f1783ee.jpg

.....so I'm a little lost as to what y'all doing with that metal thing. :S :S

Yes it does, my set of HIDs are the same as yours.

The grommet is cut off and the bulb removed from the loom. The bulb plug is threaded through the metal holder (some do so no issue and others have had to scrape the plug to get it through the hole).

I think we are on the same page but some have struggled hence the discussion of the metal holder.

Done and installed. 5K is quite bright.

I didn't get any bulb error codes, but I've coded it anyway.

A word of advise for people installing, the brown cable in the original bulb holder is neutral, i.e. the black cable from the ballast goes in here. Normally brown is live so this confused me somewhat and did give me an error because obviously the bulbs weren't working!

Stu.

• Like 4

Done and installed. 5K is quite bright.

I didn't get any bulb error codes, but I've coded it anyway.

A word of advise for people installing, the brown cable in the original bulb holder is neutral, i.e. the black cable from the ballast goes in here. Normally brown is live so this confused me somewhat and did give me an error because obviously the bulbs weren't working!

Stu.

Is this canbus or non canbus ? I bought canbus ones from London colour and they didn't work with my 09 vRS . Error on the dash

Is this canbus or non canbus ? I bought canbus ones from London colour and they didn't work with my 09 vRS . Error on the dash

I found with a CANBUS set on my 2010 FL VRs that I got the bulb error on the dash so I took them out. What you also have to consider is the massive capacitive load they use which can damage the CANBUS network.

Since then I have purchased a VCDS cable and changed my car so have now coded them with no issues.

Would they work without coding or do they need it. As I don't have access to coding and not going to buy equipment just for one thing

As mentioned previously they will need coding.

I assume mine would have run for a while without an error, maybe a week, before giving me an error without coding. 

The bottom-line really is non-canbus kit and coding, there is no real way around this.