Fabia vrs led front fog into Octy vrs

Hi, Just fitted some 2011 fabia vrs led front fog lamps into my 2012 octy vrs, Fittment is direct slight wirring difference but sorted (fabia has a 3 pin connector on the fog lamp, 1x earth 1x lower voltage for side lights and 1x front fog lamp, so just used earth and fog connector). My question is can the cold start diagnosis be turned off via vagcom as i cant seem to find it and i am obviously now getting bulb errors because there is no load on leds and the car thinks its got a bulb out. Thanks for any help Phil.

We need pictures!

I was looking for someone brave enough to try this last year!

http://www.briskoda....ut#entry2386776

When you turn on the front fog lights do they still work?

Did you have to use VCDS to activate the 'use fogs as DRL's' setting?

I'm sure the cold start diagnostics can be turned off but then you'd lose the feature for other bulbs. I think you can wire in a W5W bulb to increase the load and hide it behind the bumper...

Edited by silver1011

We need pictures!

I was looking for someone brave enough to try this last year!

http://www.briskoda....ut#entry2386776

When you turn on the front fog lights do they still work?

Did you have to use VCDS to activate the 'use fogs as DRL's' setting?

I'm sure the cold start diagnostics can be turned off but then you'd lose the feature for other bulbs. I think you can wire in a W5W bulb to increase the load and hide it behind the bumper...

Yes when i turn the front fogs on they work with no prob but i am obviously getting a bulb warning on the dash and also when you turn the ign on and the cars system does a bulb check i get a mommenterialy pulse from the front fogs. I did think of tricking the system as you have mentioned by using a bulb or even using a bulb warning cancellor. Ive been into vcds into 09 central electrics and long code helper but there is no facility to switch the cold start diagnosis off as far as i can see. The fogs do look better than the standard bulb type and seem to be brighter. Havnt yet taken any photos as i am still trying to sort these issues out but as said they fit straight in using the original fixing holes. Phil

• Like 1

Great mod Phil, I might do the same now.

Someone more knowledgable will be along soon to sort you out with the cold start diagnostics issue.

Don't forget some pictures when/if you get a chance. I'd love to see what they look like!

Just a little update, There is no way of switching off the cold start diagnosis for front fogs on a fl octy, so i spoke to a technical chap who deals with this sort of issue and ive been told just to use a bulb warning cancellor so i quickly made a temp loom up to try them and they work with no bulb errors so i am now in the process of making a couple of wirring looms with bulb warning cancellors fitted and then fitting the led fogs, They will still pulse 3 times when the ignition is initially switched on due to the nature of the cold start diagnosis on the car but i will have no bulb errors on the dash. When ive fitted them i will take some photos of the looms ive made and also with them fitted. Phil

Nice one Phil!

If you find the time a quick 'step-by-step how to' would be a huge bonus too :happy:

Just out of curiosity did your contact know if the colds start diagnostics could be disabled on a pre-facelift?

Nice one Phil!

If you find the time a quick 'step-by-step how to' would be a huge bonus too :happy:

Just out of curiosity did your contact know if the colds start diagnostics could be disabled on a pre-facelift?

I had a 57 plate vrs octy and fitted some hids and turned the cold start diag off on central electrics with no issues, will try and take some step by step photos at the weekend when ive got some time. Phil

hope you dont need to use them for what they were designed for anytime soon.

To be fair the fog lights on the vRS are pretty useless in fog anyway.Not to mention the fact that I can't actually remember the last time I used my front fogs.I have the cornering fog light function activated on my pre-FL just to get some use out of them!

• 2 weeks later...

thanks Silver, but I've already got them installed... did that a while back and bought the parts from skodaparts.com. Very reliable and even cheaper than ebay. It also tell you the part numbers for the plug and cables. The magical bit of info is the electronic trickery which I am no wizard in :) Sherlock's comment above was "a couple of wirring looms with bulb warning cancellors fitted and then fitting the led fogs"... I was looking for this in a dummies guide... buy parts x and do steps a, b, c

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Just fitted some 2011 fabia vrs led front fog lamps into my 2012 octy vrs, Fittment is direct slight wirring difference but sorted (fabia has a 3 pin connector on the fog lamp, 1x earth 1x lower voltage for side lights and 1x front fog lamp, so just used earth and fog connector).

Hi

Could you tell me which of the 3 pins are ground and 12v please?

Also does the standard fog lamp connector physically plug in to the DRL unit.

Thanks

Edited by atkinsong

no, youll need new pins and plugs to suit the LED lamp.

the square end of the plug is the ground/negative (I think)

the middle is the 30(40)% lit LED, and the round end is the 100% (which you should use for your fog light)