Dash Cam & 12V Multi Adaptor Hidden Install (driver storage compartment)

FUBAR

Hi all, got all the bits together to do this mod but unsure which wire in the adapter lead is the positive, there is some white writing on one of the two cables but nothing else, any ideas?

In my case in the pics in post #1 I had the same wires and black+white was the positive. But to check this as I was cutting off the plug I was able to cut this off then open the plug to check which was which inside, the positive will go to the centre pin/fuse and negative to the sides. 

In my case in the pics in post #1 I had the same wires and black+white was the positive. But to check this as I was cutting off the plug I was able to cut this off then open the plug to check which was which inside, the positive will go to the centre pin/fuse and negative to the sides.

Thanks, I thought this would be the way to check and also it would be that way round. Thanks for the confirmation!

I did this mod the other day.

Used fuse 41 & double checked with a home made test light to see which side was "hot". Tapped in with the smallest (7 amp) spade fuse I could find and cut back some of the plastic on the fuse & soldered an inline fuse holder in place with a 1 amp fuse (mainly because I have a garage full of stuff that "will come in handy one day").

I put one of these in the storage box (I think the USB was 90 degrees to this one) and ran the cables back through existing slots/holes rather than drilling anything.

Works brilliantly with the GPS & DashCam connected

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41B9gMjJvdL._SX342_.jpg

Edited by brad1.8T
  • Like 1

I did this mod the other day.

Used fuse 41 & double checked with a home made test light to see which side was "hot". Tapped in with the smallest (7 amp) spade fuse I could find and cut back some of the plastic on the fuse & soldered an inline fuse holder in place with a 1 amp fuse (mainly because I have a garage full of stuff that "will come in handy one day").

I put one of these in the storage box (I think the USB was 90 degrees to this one) and ran the cables back through existing slots/holes rather than drilling anything.

Works brilliantly with the GPS & DashCam connected

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41B9gMjJvdL._SX342_.jpg

We all used piggy back fuse adaptors so fully removable, fused and no soldering. Didn't drill anything as little point, would take longer too lol. I have moved my set up in post #1 from the Octy into a ZT+ then a 530D and now into an Octy again (proper tight) but I have added 2 single 12v sockets into boot one for rear camera and one to just have for the likes of a coolbox etc. I ran a new line to fuse box for these and another piggyback blade fuse adaptor. 

The ZT+ as it's a saloon went on roof of boot so to speak:

Boot%2520Right.jpg

Boot%2520Left.jpg

Rear%2520Cam%25201.jpg

Rear%2520Cam%25202.jpg

I didn't take any pics since really. The 530D initially looked like a dream as there is a fuse box behind glove box and one in boot as well (saving from having to run a new line to front), but it was a nightmare with a fancy system that didn't allow me a switched live as such all permanent live in box and must be switched later in control units or something. So I tapped into existing cabling from factory 12v socket in front and in boot there was 1 single fuse out of entire car that was physically switched!

The Mk1 Octy I have now I thought would be a 15 min job, but how wrong was I...... Fuse box design is much neater and better put together than the Mk2's so meant taking lower half of dash off to get access to hide wires and get and earth. 2 lines off it one micro blade piggy jobby as I had some from the ZT+ 

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

• 2 months later...

Doing mine in little stages when I have spare moments.

My car seems to have built by a gorilla and I came close to stripping the 13mm nut used as an earth point, so I will put a washer and nut over the 8mm bolt that keeps the dash attached to the bulkhead. Nor can I find an 8mm fork crimp in this part of the UK!

Also bought the piggy back fuse holder and when it arrived the crimp end was already crimped shut....sigh.

Need to look at the Fabia to plan the equivalent installation there too.

Matt

Doing mine in little stages when I have spare moments.

My car seems to have built by a gorilla and I came close to stripping the 13mm nut used as an earth point, so I will put a washer and nut over the 8mm bolt that keeps the dash attached to the bulkhead. Nor can I find an 8mm fork crimp in this part of the UK!

Also bought the piggy back fuse holder and when it arrived the crimp end was already crimped shut....sigh.

Need to look at the Fabia to plan the equivalent installation there too.

Matt

Which Mk of Octy is yours again? When I did the Mk1 it was a beast as had to remove lower dash to route wires neatly :o 

Mk I I post face lift.

The wires actually sit nicely with space for the camera wires to the right of the fuse box as you look at it.

The fun has been that blasted nut and a pre - crimped piggyback fuse!

Mk I I post face lift.

The wires actually sit nicely with space for the camera wires to the right of the fuse box as you look at it.

The fun has been that blasted nut and a pre - crimped piggyback fuse!

I have reused my blade fuse adapters a few times now and just put a new in line crimp on them. Only applicable if you have some though? 

I need to buy a pack of bits really. However, around where I work we only have a Maplins which is very gizmo and PC focused. And time...at the moment I have done much to the car in the dark with a torch held in my mouth.

Ebay here I come. :)

I need to buy a pack of bits really. However, around where I work we only have a Maplins which is very gizmo and PC focused. And time...at the moment I have done much to the car in the dark with a torch held in my mouth.

Ebay here I come. :)

Maplin will be all over it http://www.maplin.co.uk/search?text=crimps&x=0&y=0

Sorted :)

Thanks to FUBAR for sharing this.

At the fusebox the installation looks like this, using the rear wiper (Fuse 49) as most people seem to and a 8mm self locking nut on top of the dash board bolt.

MVH_0115_Octaviafusebox_zps01f62892.jpg

Where you can see a cable-tied wire at top left, that is the wires to the 3x 12V socket. Since I've now run a USB - microUSB lead from one of the 12V sockets along the same path and then out of the top right of the fuse box, between dash and bottom of the A-pillar so that there is a power lead for a phone mounted as SatNav, that cable-tied loop and the micro-USB lead are now secured around the boby of the plastic frame at top centre.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fubar what do you recon to this instead of a multiway adapter?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/360768261920?nav=SEARCH

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Would do the job nicely. Some folk on here have used exactly one of those. Would make it easier if you wanted to route it to the glove box instead etc. If it is just to power a camera alone I would put that female socket end into the cavity beside/behind the fusebox itself. 

• Like 1

Would do the job nicely. Some folk on here have used exactly one of those. Would make it easier if you wanted to route it to the glove box instead etc. If it is just to power a camera alone I would put that female socket end into the cavity beside/behind the fusebox itself.

Thanks. I was going to put it in the drivers side glove box as I don't use it. Ordered everything else. Camera is a Blackvue DR600GW

Sent from my Galaxy S5

• Like 1

Thanks. I was going to put it in the drivers side glove box as I don't use it. Ordered everything else. Camera is a Blackvue DR600GW

Sent from my Galaxy S5

There is plenty of space beside fuse box when you remove cover you will see what I mean. Some folk have used the exact same one and just put it in there. Would be even less work to do :D 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Lots of good advice in here, helped me in a big way when fitting the Mobius to my Superb.

As the set-up is almost identical to that of the MkII Octavia I have linked the Superb thread as it too shows some good set-ups with plenty of pictures...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/319178-abeo-dash-cam/page-7

• Like 1

Has anyone found a way to route the cable out of the fuse box and neatly up to the A pillar in Mk2 Fabia?

Otherwise I will drill a small hole in the side of the fuse box and lead it out from there.

Thanks

Matt

I bought one of these instead of wiring in a cig socket.

12v to 2xUSB adapter, so I can have my phone and camera powered off the one plug, and it also and saves having to install a bulky cig socket in the fuse box.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390960385453?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&clk_rvr_id=783181997066&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

$_12.JPG

• Like 3