Going Electric... Richard's EV thread.

BossFox

New car ordered.

It's fully electric.
It looks a bit like a Frog.
It's two weeks away.

Yes, I have bought a Nissan LEAF.
Due on the 1st March for a lucky "13" plate.

Nissan have a new updated LEAF coming out in a couple of months, so they are doing some very good deals to shift the old model.
On top of the £5,000 Government EV grant I got another £5,000 off, so it's going to come in almost spot on £20k.

I will be charging over the weekend from my solar panels and daytimes at work (it's free) so expect to pay very, very little for the miles I drive. Just when topping the batteries up overnight.

Should be interesting. :)

Edited by BossFox
  • Like 3

What's the max range? If you've got somewhere to always charge it when not in use it's fine. Charging using solar power would be even better providing it gives enough change. Makes sense round town and short trips

I commute 42 miles each way to work. 420 miles per week.

I can divert through town (10 minutes extra but 7 miles less) if I am short of range.

But from my two week trial last year I got a best range of about 90 miles and a worst (it's limited to 99mph) of 55 miles.

They claim around 100, but 75 is more accurate if you don't drive fast.

So I plan to charge it at work, top it up at home for about £1.50p, then during the weekend use the solar panels.

There are also certain... tax advantaqes. ;)

It should cost me about £6-£8 per week to do 420 miles, if I use it all the time.

• Like 1

If we could afford it then it would be great as a second commuting car. It would even be viable to visit family in bridlington and would make it there and back with a top-up in-between.

I actually think the Leaf isn't too bad looking. Much nicer than some of the other electric cars (Mitsubishi thingy and the peugeot thing are just gash!). Also for the price of the leaf I think it's actually cheaper than a lot of other electric cars with much more kit.

Still want to have a go in an electric car some time. I know someone who's just bought a Yaris Hybrid so that might be my nearest- just stick it in EV mode.

Phil

I've been thinking more and more about my commute lately too. It's only 7 miles into Swansea and 12 to Ammanford. I cycle into Swansea when weather is with me and I know I don't need to carry anything. Got lots of wet weather gear lately so I have no excuse to do it more often. The 7 miles drive is awful. All stop start and a real struggle to do any decent mpg let alone open the throttle up. It takes me 30 mins whatever I do. The cycle route is 10 miles more but takes the same time, sometimes quicker. See how it goes but head may rule heart and it maybe time for a change.

The whole point of this car is I CAN'T modify it.

Therefore it'll save me an absolute fortune!

All I'm saying is you have somehow thought up and are manging to turn a little 1.0 L city car into a 4x4 1.8 turbo... :giggle:

• Like 1

I'm intregued by the LEAF. My local dealer has just got one as a demo. Apparently you can borrow it for 24 hours or a weekend to truly see how it would work for you.

I was very lucky to get one for two weeks last year.

I personally don't think the one working day test drives Nissan do give you enough time to grow to like it.

Last year Nissan offered one of the local authorites a LEAF for two weeks as part of a low emission in central London initiative.

But nobody in the local council wanted it... so as I am a contractor for them I was offered it instead as they didn't want to say no.

Funny thing was, I expected to hate it, being a petrol head. But I liked it.

What do they sound like?

Is it true they have a sound generator to warn pedestrians of its presence at low speeds?

They have a noise (like a hummmm) you can activate when going slowly.

Other than that they make no noise at all until you get up to a decent speed and then there is a quiet hum from the motor.

So all you get is a bit of tyre noise. Even the wing mirrors don't make hardly a sound in the wind as the headlights are designed to channel air round the wing mirrors to keep the noise down.

I'd like to try an Ampera as I think they're better looking than the Leaf. A Tesla would be nice too....

Yes, I was expecting to like the Ampera. But I didn't.

On paper it looks ideal and for some people it probably is, but the best I could manage on a charge was around 32 miles.

Then it switches to petrol BUT... because it's got all the electric car stuff and all the petrol engine, tank, exhaust it's heavy and inefficient.

Once the electric range had run out I couldn't get more than low 40s out of it. So a decent diesel making 60mpg would be far cheaper, lighter, better to drive and untilmately more efficient unless you could charge it up every 30 miles or so.

It's also no where nice to drive as the LEAF and less practical being a srict 4 seater.

As I said, I expected to like it, had it for four days and was pleased to give it back.

It's like they tried to make it good at everything and so missed the point of an EV and an eco ICE engined car. It's just a compromise.

Tesla on the other hand... :)

This is looking like a good option.

I'm waiting for the test drives to start for the RHD models and I'm expecting that about Sept/Oct as it's due to go on sale Dec/Jan.

There are a few odd thinks like no parking sensors (only a rear camera) and no rear fold down arm rest, but overall I think it's a great looking car with real usability.

I'll admit I have popped a (refundable) deposit down so I get info and an invitation to test drive before the launch date.

• Like 1

Certainly seems to be a very viable option for commuting as a second car providing you also have an alternative to overcome the range issue which you have so it'll be interesting to hear how you get on. look forward to reading 'the log' as I'm sure it'll be unbiased as usual. Perhaps for a laugh you could put 'my other car's a city go' and 'I also own another Nissan' stickers in the rear window :rofl:

• Like 1

£1.50? Is that all it takes to charge? Or just top up? Seems very reasonable, it probably takes more to charge my phone lol

It depends on your electric tariff and night rate if you charge it then.

I will be charging at work (free) and at home where I pay.

A full charge for me if the range is low (15-20miles) will be 20kWh (battery capacity total is 24) at 12.09p, so give or take £2.50p.

But because I'll be charging at work the battery will only be around 60% discharged in the evening tops, so the cost will be around £1.70p per day, 4 days per week. Less if I drive economically.

At the weekend I'll be using the solar panels so depending on the weather that'll be between £0 and £1.20p.

So I figure it's going to cost me about £8 per week to do 420 miles of commuting.

In the Yeti I do pretty much spot on £60 in diesel for the same 420 miles at an average 47mpg.

The only reason it kind of makes sense is Nissan now selling off these old model LEAFs to make space for the new slightly upgraded models.

The cost of this car six months ago was £24k, it's now £18k.

At the full price I don't think you can save enough to make them pay, it's more of a lifestyle choice.

To be honest, I like trying things that are a bit different. :)