1.8TSI and 2.0TSI engine failures

DGW

Which is pretty critical. Has anyone analysed the engine build dates and plotted on a graph? Is there a revision date after which there have been no failures or at least a significant reduction. Does anyone know the actual failure mode of the tensioner?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

There isn't enough detailed data available on failures to plot graphs. Most tensioner failures involve the original version but the list in Post #1 includes the failure of an engine with the third version and even one with the latest version. The mode of failure of the original tensioner is explained elsewhere on this forum and other forums if you search.

Looking somewhat unscientifically at post #1 and browsing other forum chain tensioner threads the most common occurrences still seem to be with MY2009/2010 engine builds although actual build dates off engine sticker are not often quoted. Although there are a couple of MY2012's in post #1, there are not many MY2011's either. 

Post #393 shows the first tensioner revision in April 2010 which stayed current through to late summer 2011. With fewer MY2011/2012 reports so far, perhaps the two interim changes are failing less readily even if the K revision is considered the definitive solution by VAG.

06H 109 467N >> 26.04.2010
06H 109 467T 27.04.2010 >> 29.08.2011
06H 109 467AB 30.08.2011 >> 04.03.2012

06K 109 467K
 05.03.2012 >>

In any case the replacement engines supplied since late 2012 have most likely not yet seen as much use as the failed units they replaced.

If any crumb of comfort can be taken its that the volume of 2009/2010 failures being reported in 2012/2013 doesn’t yet seem to be continuing on at the same pace with similar numbers of 2010/2011 model failures that could have been expected in the first half of 2014.

Most 2012 models are I’d suggest still on comparatively low mileages / number of start cycles.

Would be an interesting analysis though if all the failed engine build dates were known but with the variations in circumstances, driving style, quality of maintenance and a clear consensus on what caused the poorly designed tensioner to fail in each specific instance it’d probably be difficult to come up with anything revealing.

So every time I start my car these days, I'm scared I will hear the pistons crushing themselves.

Was at the VW/Skoda/Audi main importer on Saturday, they have not had a single TSi engine fail with tensioner, out of total of 78 1.8 TSi engines sold from 2010 to now.

• Like 1

So every time I start my car these days, I'm scared I will hear the pistons crushing themselves.

Was at the VW/Skoda/Audi main importer on Saturday, they have not had a single TSi engine fail with tensioner, out of total of 78 1.8 TSi engines sold from 2010 to now.

78 doesn't sound like many.

I don't think those comments are intended to be amusing. I think it's how some people actually feel. I must say that it's always in the back of my mind.

Who's laughing? Sorry to hear you are financially ruined, but I bet none of us here are living the high class life either.

You could of got an engine for 2700 euro http://www.ebay.de/itm/AUDI-VW-SKODA-CCZ-2-0TSI-TFSI-MOTOR-Top-68Tkm-12-Monate-Garantie-/261467508924?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item3ce0ad90bc

I didnt read any post of anyone laughing, just people concerned they could potentially be next!

As above though, thats the way id go, Im out of warranty (and running 104% more power than the engine came out the factory with!) and im not to worried. If mine went, id drop a low mileage Golf R/S3 EA888 engine in there and be done with it. Cost would be way lower than letting Skoda fit a standard replacement in there but thats just me and my mindset I know :)

Sorry CEPI I thought you were having a laugh about turning the key. There have been a couple of people trying to be funny. My apologies. I little sensitive about it all. Sorry

I am hoping Skoda will offer a good will gesture. I looked at lots of other ways and the Skoda has a 2 year warranty and the other engines on eBay just made me a bit concerned. Wish I was a mechanic.

No prob man, we're all scared of stuff you had. Hope you get on your feet quickly  ;)

But I swear I'm getting scared when I turn the key to start the car, the other day i turned the key half way, and sure car didn't start, i was shaking.

Edited by CEPi

I didnt read any post of anyone laughing, just people concerned they could potentially be next!

As above though, thats the way id go, Im out of warranty (and running 104% more power than the engine came out the factory with!) and im not to worried. If mine went, id drop a low mileage Golf R/S3 EA888 engine in there and be done with it. Cost would be way lower than letting Skoda fit a standard replacement in there but thats just me and my mindset I know :)

Will do the same, no point in fixing the engine at that cost. Even if 1.9TDI from 2007, I'd rather fit that then spend 7-8K on fixing it.

What Skoda UK would do well to remember is that whilst they might fob customers off by saying that the failure rate is only a very small percentage - if you are an owner so affected by this problem - that represents 100% failure and financial calamity to you. In other words, a complete and utter personal disaster.

I heard on the media a few weeks ago that VAG made profits of £200 million last year.

It would be very interesting to find out what is going on in other world markets with this engine; for example the 1.8Tsi was sold extensively in India and was marketed as the 'Laura'.It was also sold in Oz.  In the UK, the Golf Gti mob are well aware of Tsi problems with the tensioner. I have bought 3 Skoda's in the past, a Fabia Vrs, (the first one - 1.9 turbo diesel and a brilliant car) a 1.8Tsi Octy , which I recently sold because I didn't want to be a casualty, and a Citigo for nipper.

When I bought the first car, the Mk1 Fabia, it was faultless and the price was, according to the dealer, about £6k less than if it had been a VW. Remember, this was only an £11- £12k car at the time. It seems to me that the prices of Skoda's have been gradually hiked up, the differentials compared to other VAG cars are reducing and they seem to be trading on their past reputation.

Whatever new car is purchased nowadays, most are reliable and it is unlucky if you have any problems at all. It is all the more unfortunate that VAG have produced an engine with an inherent problem. I thought those days of design traits were well in the past. 

There is nothing worse in life than when someone has clearly dropped a clanger to continually remain in a state of denial.

• Like 1

How will i know when my car was made? Mine was first registered in June 2010 and hoping it would have the updated tensioner because if it's on the first and original i'll be worrying even more as like others it's always at the back of my mind.

How will i know when my car was made? Mine was first registered in June 2010 and hoping it would have the updated tensioner because if it's on the first and original i'll be worrying even more as like others it's always at the back of my mind.

More importantly, when was the engine built. Look for the date on the top right hand corner of a white sticker on the timing cover, on the offside of the engine (left hand end as you look at it)

Could be some months difference in the dates, mine was registered end of May 2012 but the engine build date sticker is January 2012 so I missed the latest variant tensioner (used starting from 05.03.2012 engine build dates) by a month or so even though the car was registered well after that latest variant was 'released'. 

...the latest variant tensioner (used starting from 05.03.2012 engine build dates)...

Where's this date come from? The TPI I've seen shows week 20 as when the first revision went in to use, which would be May. If the date above is right then my engine probably has the first revision tensioner rather than the initial design.

Where's this date come from? The TPI I've seen shows week 20 as when the first revision went in to use, which would be May. If the date above is right then my engine probably has the first revision tensioner rather than the initial design.

Post #393 this thread

Post #393 this thread

Never mind, had a bit of a brain fart. I was thinking of the first revision date in 2010 and didn't read your post properly. 

If any crumb of comfort can be taken its that the volume of 2009/2010 failures being reported in 2012/2013 doesn’t yet seem to be continuing on at the same pace with similar numbers of 2010/2011 model failures that could have been expected in the first half of 2014.

Which is the key analysis for in service failures, and measuring the effectiveness of the corrective action.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately if proven over time it still does nothing to mitigate the stress & inconvenience for those already affected, or yet to be so, but perhaps is reason to be hopeful that the actions taken may have reduced the risk from MY2011 onwards even if not completely eliminated it. Fingers crossed for all our sakes. 

It would be very interesting to find out what is going on in other world markets with this engine;

The same timing chain/tensioner problems in Russia. Plus, it was found this winter that high-pressure injection pump on some engines is prone to leaking when engine is cold (apparently, a design flaw). Because of that petrol (in relatively large amounts) gets into oil. Nothing special if additives in the oil and in the petrol are compatible, but one oil refinery in Moscow used additives that were incompatible with factory-filled long-life oil. And that turned oil in the oil sumps of the affected engines into jelly at only about -5 degrees Celsius. Though, not only the 1.8/2.0 TSI engines suffered from the problem.