1.8TSI and 2.0TSI engine failures

DGW

We don't know that. And not as many will have reached the mileage yet either.

Yes sorry I think I pointed that out to someone who was thinking of changing it up earlier in this thread! Not sure why it didn't come to mind this morning. Probably worth mentioning that the new tensioner has a more robust design with retaining peg to stop it retracting.

We don't know that. And not as many will have reached the mileage yet either.

Correct, but even a new chain assembly will do 35k miles, so if you engine is ok putting a new original spec assembly is better than doing nothing.

I have the latest spec on mine and as Norco says it has a pin the garage set when installing it, so it implies that I should get more that 35k before changing the chain.

Knowing there is an issue, I'd rather have done something and been wrong, than nothing and had my engine fail.

If my engine does expire due to a chain issue I can be assured that I have done all that I could, before going back to buying Honda's !

Why are some people getting different amounts of goodwill? If Skoda have offered someone 100% why doesn't everyone just say that so and so got 100% and you want the same?

Also, everyone who has been affected by this should contact Watchdog and see if they can get Skoda to guarantee to pay 100% for the bill if there is ever a fail.

https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Skoda UK have just offered me 70% goodwill towards parts and 50% towards labour. Had to accept this offer as cannot wait any longer to get my car repaired, will hopefully have car back before xmas.

What is your history with the car Louise27. Date registered ?  Purchased from new ?  Full Skoda service history ?  

Correct, but even a new chain assembly will do 35k miles, so if you engine is ok putting a new original spec assembly is better than doing nothing.

I have the latest spec on mine and as Norco says it has a pin the garage set when installing it, so it implies that I should get more that 35k before changing the chain.

Knowing there is an issue, I'd rather have done something and been wrong, than nothing and had my engine fail.

If my engine does expire due to a chain issue I can be assured that I have done all that I could, before going back to buying Honda's !

Where is this figure of 35k coming from? Absolute rubbish to say that's all you get. Mine had done almost double that mileage on original chain before I sold it.

Billbow my car was registered 24th Nov 2009, no was bought second hand last year from a skoda dealership. Only had 33500miles on the clock. Had full skoda service history apart from the last service which was done a month ago at an independent garage as my previous experience with my local skoda dealerships customer services was shocking.

I have a feeling that will be the difference in the offer of goodwill. The extent to which you show brand loyalty etc. The 70% + 50% contributions look like they are not 100% due to the last service in Louise's case. Probably worth pressing SUK for more though with this thread as a demonstration of what others have got.

Edited by Norco

The chain and tensioner are maintenance free and SHOULD last the life of the car. There is more to a service than changing the oil (unless you take it to a main dealer of course)

^^ +1

That's the whole point of fitting a chain over a belt, it should never need changing. Honda have managed to design engines using chain driven cam shafts that have never failed in the field allegedly.

Many other manufacturers use chains without the drama. Mercedes Benz for instance.

The chain tensioner is not the only impending fault with this engine.

Edited by FLAPPERJACK7

Many other manufacturers use chains without the drama. Mercedes Benz for instance.

My uncle bought a merc after having a new engine fitted due to a tensioner failure.

What are the other faults? 

Bit of interesting information I just found out from Skoda regarding the 'new part' warranty for a replacement engine.

I was told by the dealer that I don't receive a 2 year warranty on the new engine part as it was covered under the warranty. After contacting Skoda head office about this today, I found that because I didn't make any contribution towards the repair, the warranty lies with 'Car Care Plan' (Skoda extended warranty company) who produced the replacement part. I do have a new part 2 year warranty for my new engine, but would have to contact the warranty company should i have any problems with it.

For any of you that come across the same problem, make a 1p contribution or something so you get it in writing!

Burning oil. Manifold failure.

Where you getting this info from? Most modern engines burn oil to some extent. ..not a design fault. Not heard anything about manifold failures?

• Like 1

I am due to collect my car later this afternoon after nearly 6 weeks of it being in the garage. It has cost me £1749 to get the car repaired. I will be contacting watchdog once I collect my car to make them aware of what is happening to some of the engines. The chain tensioner is a component that should last a lifetime and it has failed to last a lifetime so I think it's now time to make the public aware of what is going on. There is more than enough evidence on here for watchdog to work with.

If a few members contact Watchdog then Skoda should finally admit there is a fault.