1.8TSI and 2.0TSI engine failures

DGW

there's a build date on a sticker on the timing cover. mine was literally only a few months old when it was fitted.

Mine too had this sticker, it wasnt a build date on mine, it was the date it was re-conditioned...

And Skoda are installing re-conditiioned rather than new engines, as thats what they fitted to mine. Although the only used part was the block, the cylinder head and all internals were brand new.

Good info, but how do you know that the block was the only used component, and where did you get your info from?

Was the engine number on the label?

Thanks.

Good info, but how do you know that the block was the only used component, and where did you get your info from?

Was the engine number on the label?

Thanks.

This is what we were told by the Skoda workshop manager at Essex Auto Group Skoda, he said they rarely use completely brand new units.

As for the engine number on the sticker, im not sure without looking.

Interesting, when I asked the technician for the new engine number when I picked my car up after the replacement so I could update the V5, the number given was RR4 xxxxxxx. I was expecting a CCZA number, so I'm wondering whether the RR4 number is the rebuild number?

Just had it 100% confirmed from my local Skoda dealer that I am getting a brand new engine with the "new" tensioner ( whatever that means!).

Sure I'd rather not have all this hassle (car off road for almost 4 weeks) , but despite my £1000 hit I'm pretty ok with it and the fact that i will have an as new Skoda VRS that softens the blow.

Will I buy another Skoda? 5 weeks ago I would have said an emphatic yes - now I will think twice.

Am I the only tsi owner that isn't "worried"? I'm more concerned about being hit head on and dying in a blazing fireball tbh, though I do hold my breath for a fraction of a second every time I start the engine!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not either - probably years of italian car ownership has removed the fear factor ;)

Am I right in thinking that a 13 plate (yet to be delivered) vRS TFSI should not be subject to this issue and Skoda have introduced a new part?

Cheers

I know nothing about engines however I understand that around 2009/10 this engine had a tensioner modification. Something to do with it being a chain now vs belt - or is it the other way round ?! Either way its meant to be more robust..

The 2.0TSI engine has been in production since Mar 2008 and the chain tensioner is now on at least its third revision. If VAG haven't managed to sort the problem with it by now, one could argue they never will. I would be happy to have a new engine fitted to a 3 year old car and it could make the car worth more when you sell it.

Am I right in thinking that a 13 plate (yet to be delivered) vRS TFSI should not be subject to this issue and Skoda have introduced a new part?

Cheers

Really, don't worry about it. It can still fail but it's very rare, even on the earlier ones.

Guess what, rubber cam belts have failed!! I'll bet more engines were trashed through the rubber belt failing than the mechanical chain tensioner (measured as a failure rate ppm, not in total numbers).

• Like 2

I did do a search and there aren't that many threads on failed belts on the TFSI across marques. There are some but not as many as tensioner failure posts on TSIs.

• Like 2

Good grief. Chain tensioner on its third revision. What's wrong with german engineers these days. Come back Werner von Braun!

a revision does not necessarily mean the design has changed. a part may go though several iterations (supersessions) based on a number of factors including which supplier it's being sourced from etc. I'm sure at least one revision is due to a design change.. maybe all 3 but you can't assume that.

Just got my VRS estate back today. Spanking new engine with two years / 60k miles warranty. Plus new disks & pads etc. The car has been off the road now for 20 days in total. Seems to drive just fine. My part of the bill came to just on £1400.00 which out of £5600 I'm not grumbling about too much.

All in all I think SUK have treated me quite fairly and Skoda West End (the main dealer), Edinburgh have been very good and professional.

• Like 2

I did do a search and there aren't that many threads on failed belts on the TFSI across marques. There are some but not as many as tensioner failure posts on TSIs.

TFSI FTW then :)

• 2 months later...

Well just had a call from a mate of mine that is a mechanic at a general garage - they have one of their sold cars just come in after the guy had it for one day - 58 plate A3 TSi and you guessed it Tensioner failed - they are in the process of taking it apart - but he rang me as I am well aware of the issue and he knew it. It has failed the push back test so ratchet has failed, no compression on all cylinders. Also confirmed the ECU had the DTCs flagged that are in the TSB on the issue.

Just got my VRS estate back today. Spanking new engine with two years / 60k miles warranty. Plus new disks & pads etc. The car has been off the road now for 20 days in total. Seems to drive just fine. My part of the bill came to just on £1400.00 which out of £5600 I'm not grumbling about too much.

All in all I think SUK have treated me quite fairly and Skoda West End (the main dealer), Edinburgh have been very good and professional.

A decent outcome from SUK and the dealer as you say which is always good to hear about, it's just a pity VW can't solve the route cause so no one has to suffer I guess, though no doubt they (VW) will claim the volumes of failures compared to how many engines they produce is very small so 'is acceptable' .....in their opinion!

I may have missed it but are there any tell tale signs/noise of imminent failure?

Your wallet sighing?

The only notification is that the engine won't start when you come to turn it over. This thread is bad news psychologically, I'm convinced my car is playing tricks with my mind, with ever so subtle changes in firing up, and timbre of the numerous mechanical rattles and knocks...