1.8TSI and 2.0TSI engine failures

DGW

Got to say, this thread is making me very nervous. I'm looking at  couple of use 59 plate VRS with 40-50k miles on each and I'm getting more and more reluctant.  Is this a serious issue that I'd be likely to face? Or is this like the blowing M32 gearbox on the Astra VXR that everyone goes on about?

It won't affect the vast majority of 1.8TSI and 2.0TSI owners but is very expensive if it does,

What about adding extended warranty to a used VRS bought privately.  Can that be done, would it cover this failure and how much is it a year?

Including timing chain and guide rails?

I believe so, invoice is in the car at the moment but will confirm tomorrow.

Got to say, this thread is making me very nervous. I'm looking at  couple of use 59 plate VRS with 40-50k miles on each and I'm getting more and more reluctant.  Is this a serious issue that I'd be likely to face? Or is this like the blowing M32 gearbox on the Astra VXR that everyone goes on about?

In the past I have gone through cars like nothing, this is the first car that puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. If you like it buy it. As long as you know about it and it doesn't catch you off guard then there is no issue. It's between £600 and £800 to get the tensioner and parts replace so see if you can get this off the price of the car and get it done as a precaution?

Or as you say get a extended warranty - I did this as well just in case something goes wrong but I don't want the hassle and headache of a broken engine so got the tensioner replaced to latest revision/version. I used Warrantywise for my extended warranty. 

Hope that helps :)

Ha the irony of skoda being very reliable. Can't deny I'm very nervous of buying a used Vrs face-lift now. One I had my eye and have almost bought train tickets to is a 59 plate but it has had a remap to 240bhp so no matter warranty from anyone. I'm saving for a house deposit so I'm after a car that I don't have to spend £600-800 on a part that may or may not fail...

Good luck :) if you look hard enough all cars will have issues that can cause potentially catastrophic damage to the engine or some sort of issue or quirk.

That's very true, and believe my VXR had its share.  This one is a deal breaker.  The car looks fine, and confusingly, he says it has a belt, but because it's mapped, I'll get no warranty.  I'm not prepared, nor can I afford, to take that risk.  If the tensioner fails, it's at best an £800 repair, or worst, every penny spent buying the car is gone as that's what the cost of a new engine would be.  Could you claim on insurance and get a write off pay out? I doubt it...

I haven't written off the 2L TSI as yet, but I'd be wanting one with warranty...

Edited by planehazza

That's the one. I'm pretty sure myself that it's a chain as it's a 59, so therefore TSI.

I'm gutted; I had such a good feeling about this one. I just know that if I go and buy it, a week,month, year down the line the tensioner will fail and destroy the engine. Statistically it's not likely, but I can't afford to take the risk :(

EDIT: Gutted, it's done. I've pulled out from going any further as I think it's the wisest option. Realistically, the car is likely fine and will never have the issue.  But it's one of those 'all or nothing' gambles, and I can't afford the risk :(  Had the car not been mapped I likely would have gone ahead as I could have purchased extended Skoda warranty

Edited by planehazza

Brilliant post. Thanks for the info.

There seems to he some confusion about which engines this applies to. My understanding it is all VAG TSIs and that means 1.2,1.4,1.6,1.8 and 2.0. Is that right?

No. This thread is about 1.8TSI and 2.0TSI engine failures - as clearly indicated by the thread title. Confusingly, when fitted to an Audi, those engines are described as FSI rather than TSI. HTH.

No. This thread is about 1.8TSI and 2.0TSI engine failures - as clearly indicated by the thread title. Confusingly, when fitted to an Audi, those engines are described as FSI rather than TSI. HTH.

This thread might be titled 1.8 and 2.0 but that doesn't answer the question... I've been quite clearly told by VAG service that this affects a lot more than two Octy models, the biggest Skoda dealer in the country's service dept told me it only applies to 1.2 TSIs yesterday (BS I know), and I know someone with a Variant TSI that just got 50% goodwill to fix the cam chain tensioner when it failed... Why you 1.8-2.0 fellas wanna have all the fun here?

By all means start another thread about other problematic VAG engines if you wish but THIS thread which I started is specifically about the engines in the title.

There is an article in Autobild magazine brought up in the post on page 17 which mentions problems with chains and tensioners in the 1.2 and 1.4 TSI engines. But those are different engines with their own parts which have little in common with the EA888 design being discussed here.

Thanks. The Autobild article was interesting, a bit confusing, and fairly frightening. I know nothing about the technical differences in engines, but there is a fairly long list of 1.2-2.0 VAG group related engines there with tensioner problems. Anyway there were a couple of very interesting lines that Google as a little shy with. At the end:

"The reason for the jump timing chain, by which the pistons "fraternizing" with valves, outlined quite clearly. It happens because of poor design tensioner deprived lock protivohoda: with the engine stopped and, accordingly, zero oil pressure plunger nothing prevented take a hike, leaving the chain to hang on asterisks. When you next start the engine, for those few seconds, until the oil will push the plunger in a working condition, a jump chain. As you can see, the "manufacturing defect" chain out of the question. This is a design flaw of the engine. 
On petrol 1,8 / 2,0 TSI such trouble occurs very rarely. Owners of cars with engine 1,4 TSI need to follow a simple rule, so as not to provoke the tensioner not leave the machine with the ITUC to transfer! Sometimes only a small deviation to the crankshaft cranked and tensioned chain drowned plunger."

Anyone got a better stab at the "simple rule"?

A car I'm hoping to purchase has had this problem already, about 12k miles ago (currently on 12k).  Apparently the part failed when the engine wasn't running, but when trying to turn the engine over it had damaged inlet valves etc, which have all been replaced at the current owners expense. The newest tensioner and chain were also fitted.  Is there anything else I should check with regards to this? I heard no rattling/knocking/other untoward noises when starting, but the engine was already warm, as he'd drive ~20 miles to meet me.  I'll hopefully hear it start up from cold on saturday.

Thanks. The Autobild article was interesting, a bit confusing, and fairly frightening. I know nothing about the technical differences in engines, but there is a fairly long list of 1.2-2.0 VAG group related engines there with tensioner problems. Anyway there were a couple of very interesting lines that Google as a little shy with. At the end:

"The reason for the jump timing chain, by which the pistons "fraternizing" with valves, outlined quite clearly. It happens because of poor design tensioner deprived lock protivohoda: with the engine stopped and, accordingly, zero oil pressure plunger nothing prevented take a hike, leaving the chain to hang on asterisks. When you next start the engine, for those few seconds, until the oil will push the plunger in a working condition, a jump chain. As you can see, the "manufacturing defect" chain out of the question. This is a design flaw of the engine. 

On petrol 1,8 / 2,0 TSI such trouble occurs very rarely. Owners of cars with engine 1,4 TSI need to follow a simple rule, so as not to provoke the tensioner not leave the machine with the ITUC to transfer! Sometimes only a small deviation to the crankshaft cranked and tensioned chain drowned plunger."

Anyone got a better stab at the "simple rule"?

Has that been translated or was it written by a pubescent Ape?