1.8TSI and 2.0TSI engine failures

DGW

All well and good when in town with curbs - not all roads have curbs [emoji15]

True, not many are billiard table flat from verge to crown either....

You could take a wheel chock with you if you have paranoid tendencies :-)

Mine rolled out of a parking space that was on a hill. There was a car either side of me in their bays. If my wheels were turned it would have rolled into one or both of the cars next to it! In this situation it's leave it in gear or go find another parking space!

• Like 1

Had new engine replaced on Friday 23rd jan under good will. Only covered 41k on a 2010 plate octavia vrs. Ended up paying just £324 towards labour. Been told by Skoda that the engine number is the same because it's a direct replacement from Skoda

• Like 1

Had new engine replaced on Friday 23rd jan under good will. Only covered 41k on a 2010 plate octavia vrs. Ended up paying just £324 towards labour. Been told by Skoda that the engine number is the same because it's a direct replacement from Skoda

Could you provide a few more details please? Do you still have warranty cover, Skoda dealer servicing etc?

There is no requirement for a car manufacturer to declare a service campaign. If it's safety critical in the UK vosa must be informed. All such recalls are listed on the vosa website.

I think you are responding to my question but making the same point that concerns me i.e., that it is not being regulated. If the manufacturer is freely allowed to maintain secrecy then there is every incentive for they and the dealers to be economical with the truth. I wonder which part of government needs to have their feet held to the fire to start regulating this?

I think you are responding to my question but making the same point that concerns me i.e., that it is not being regulated. If the manufacturer is freely allowed to maintain secrecy then there is every incentive for they and the dealers to be economical with the truth. I wonder which part of government needs to have their feet held to the fire to start regulating this?

None. It's called business, free enterprise. They are under no obligation to tell about faults, that's up to Watchdog, Which etc, or Trading Standards. Good luck with any of those with this issue, it really is a storm in a forum. 

I own a 2010 TSI VRS with a DSG gearbox with 36,000 miles on the clock and (touch wood) have had no issues whatsoever with it.

I have however become concerned having read this thread and whilst acknowledging that "these things can happen" and may in reality be a relatively rare occurrence I have decided to pre empt any potential future problems by writing to Skoda UK in the following terms

I am the owner of the above vehicle a Skoda  Octavia 2.0 TSI VRS DSG Estate first registered on 13 January 2010.

The vehicle has a full main dealer (DM Keith) service history having had its last service on 13th January 2015 having completed around 35,800 miles.

I have recently been made aware of a significant number of serious issues relating to the failure of Cam chains or Cam tensioners on this particular engine which have resulted in serious damage to the engines requiring in many cases a full engine replacement.

I believe there have been a number of technical changes to both the Cam chains and Cam tensioner parts  over a number of years, of  which I have not been made aware at any previous service point.

Can you please clarify the following points.

Are Skoda UK aware of known issues regarding the failure of such parts and the resultant serious engine damage relevant to this engine and dating back to its introduction on the Octavia MK11 VRS TSI.

If so why have owners not been made aware of this at their annual service point or directly from Skoda UK.

How many versions of the Cam chain and Cam tensioners have there been since the introduction of the Mk11 VRS TSI.

What are the full details of the most recent modifications to these parts.

Please can you provide full details of any recalls that have been made in relation to this issue or guidance issued to Skoda UK dealers relevant to this issue.

How many failures of such a nature are Skoda UK aware of.

Does my vehicle require any preventative action to prevent damage caused by the failure of such parts in future. (at this time my vehicle is not subject to any such problem)

Should any damage be caused to my vehicle due to the failure of such parts or issues directly relating to this happen in the future will Skoda UK cover all repair and labour costs in view of my full Skoda service history and lack of notification of any such issues. My vehicle is no longer subject of any Skoda warranty.

I look forward to your early response to this potentially serious matter.

I suspect I may not get much joy from them but should any future failure occur my legal position will be considerably stronger having addressed the issue prior to any failure. 
  • Like 2

Does anyone know how long it takes the dealer to change the tensioner? Does the chain need to be swapped as well?

I was quoted £415 for tensioner only, £1,000 including chain and guides!  Dealer said that to replace the chain was at least an extra 4 hrs as would need to be very careful about not affecting the timing.  I think they have devised an easier way to replace the tensioner without removing the chain, hence the lower cost, but the downside is if anything went wrong after only changing the tensioner, that may be a get out of jail card for SUK as they could blame any subsequent failure on the parts that were not changed!  Upshot is I'm going to risk it for now and leave the original tensioner and hope that any contribution to potential repairs is well less than £1,000.  Dealer did say that they had a failed tensioner in at the moment which was out of warranty, car purchased used by current owner but did have full dealer service history and Skoda have paid full cost of supplying a new engine, SUK have paid a good will contribution towards the labour leaving the owner with a bill for £650.  In my case, we have owned since new with full service history at supplying dealer, so I'm happy we are covered under SOGA until end of June and would expect our current contribution to be no more than £400, but not sure what to do at 6 years old which is why I also asked if there was any history of failures after changing tensioner only as would rather only shell out the £415 if we keep it beyond 6 years!

The original chain stretches with age which doesn't help if the tensioner is weak. The latest chain is less prone to stretching. As an analogy, think of riding a bike with a slack chain.

Question is, would the original chain/guides with 30k miles on the clock and six years old still be prone to catastrophic failure if the new tensioner had been fitted? Obviously, the difference of £600 is a major step up. I'd like to know how much of the risk is eliminated with the tensioner, if it's 95% then the £400 option may still be money well spent and the extra cost of chain/guides may be unnecessary, but if it's more like 50:50 tensioner/chain then the extra £600 may still be worthwhile. Also, it will be interesting to see if SUK continue to provide good will on cars over 6 yes old?

It doesn't seem financially worth while now that more and more people are getting 100% contributions on engines now. To spend £415 on just the tensioner that may or may not break seems like a weak middle ground. If you change the tensioner and the chain jumps in the future anyway then you will still be liable for the labour contribution so another £300+. If you do get the whole thing changed then you at least (for now) have piece of mind but have stumped up £1000+ on something that may have never been an issue. Like Matt says I would like to know how long SUK would offer contributions. Maybe that will be the tipping point for me to get a new car but in the meantime just maintaining a dealer stamp in the book seems to be the best way to cover yourself against further issues?

• Like 1

I would not get too complacent about Skoda UK making contributions to repairs. They did not for me.

In my case, needing a whole new engine, Skoda UK are making no contribution whatsoever because my dealer, Ridgeway Motors (Jewsons/Skoda Oxford), have reportedly informed them (and verbally told me) that the fault was due to poor servicing. The glaringly obvious technical inconsistencies in their story do not seem to trouble them although they may be concentrating too hard on trying to send letters (writing appears to be an onerous task for them - I have been waiting three months). My engine blew up on 4th November and to date they are still to commit to paper their frankly laughable position.

Skoda UK told me that if the servicing had all been done through the dealer network then they might have made a 10% contribution but it would also have required more 'brand loyalty'. Apparently buying a (defective) new car for £20,000 is not considered 'brand-loyal' enough.They were at least polite and followed up on communications - but zero real contribution - so be warned. Get a good extended warranty or better still buy a different make of car at a different dealer. You can guess which I will be doing.

I would not get too complacent about Skoda UK making contributions to repairs. They did not for me.

In my case, needing a whole new engine, Skoda UK are making no contribution whatsoever because my dealer, Ridgeway Motors (Jewsons/Skoda Oxford), have reportedly informed them (and verbally told me) that the fault was due to poor servicing. The glaringly obvious technical inconsistencies in their story do not seem to trouble them although they may be concentrating too hard on trying to send letters (writing appears to be an onerous task for them - I have been waiting three months). My engine blew up on 4th November and to date they are still to commit to paper their frankly laughable position.

Skoda UK told me that if the servicing had all been done through the dealer network then they might have made a 10% contribution but it would also have required more 'brand loyalty'. Apparently buying a (defective) new car for £20,000 is not considered 'brand-loyal' enough.They were at least polite and followed up on communications - but zero real contribution - so be warned. Get a good extended warranty or better still buy a different make of car at a different dealer. You can guess which I will be doing.

Really feel sorry for you, I agree that service history should not play as big a factor in good will from Skoda and/or SUK especially bearing in mind the part in question is a non-sevicable item. Personally, I'm going to keep our hard earned in the bank and rely on the fact we have owned ours since new and it has only been serviced at the supplying dealer and we have had 4 Skoda's since 2002.

My car had the tensioner fail at ~48k, and it's now on 60k. Gotta say this thread make me very nervous indeed.  I'll probably cough up and pay for a new tensioner and maybe also the belt in ~10k miles...

My car had the tensioner fail at ~48k, and it's now on 60k. Gotta say this thread make me very nervous indeed.  I'll probably cough up and pay for a new tensioner and maybe also the belt in ~10k miles...

If your car has a belt then this thread is irrelevant to you. This thread is about failing timing chain tensioners. 

If your car has a belt then this thread is irrelevant to you. This thread is about failing timing chain tensioners. 

Sorry typo, I meant chain. Mine is a facelift with TSI.

http://youtu.be/v66aB-BKfVA

you can here the rattle for a split second.

Is the sound it makes when it's on its way out?

Edited by planehazza

That would make sense. If it is the ratchet on the tensioner that fails then it might take a moment for the oil pressure to activate the tensioner piston and rack it back up again.