1.8TSI and 2.0TSI engine failures

DGW

Hi, GTI Jazz,

Variable regime.  I basically followed the manufacturer's recommendations in how I treat the car.

Thanks for answering - I wonder if that has any bearing on your issue.

You've got to wonder if variable servicing is an engineers choice or a marketing driven incentive to help fleet sales.

I know that oil technology changes - but myself I prefer a 10K or once a year oil change.

Thanks for answering - I wonder if that has any bearing on your issue.

You've got to wonder if variable servicing is an engineers choice or a marketing driven incentive to help fleet sales.

I know that oil technology changes - but myself I prefer a 10K or once a year oil change.

I recently had mine serviced along with an MOT and they changed it from variable to fixed which suit me as it will be based on annually as I don't do that much mileage. Skoda Service Centre, Camberley.

I recently had mine serviced along with an MOT and they changed it from variable to fixed which suit me as it will be based on annually as I don't do that much mileage. Skoda Service Centre, Camberley.

If that's the garage by the big roundabout, I would not touch them with a barge pole after the lack of care they showed in my ex's Seat and the sh1tty attitude at least one of the blokes there has. One is a pretty nice guy, but the other is just a massive, stroppy tool!

• Like 1

Hello, all.

I've listened to the videos posted above; thanks for posting them.

The first video of Nick H/Adam Lewin is (as close as I can judge) to being very much the same as my car was when I took it in at 59k to have the dealer specifically listen to it.

I think that's the same video posted by blackspaven?

The video posted by marcinp is the phase my car went through (lasted from ~40k to ~59k) where I went from thinking "this doesn't sound right for a petrol car" (~40k) to "there must be something wrong with this" (~59k +)

The second of the videos in Nick H/Adam Lewin's post is what my car sounded like when restarted after it had cut out in the cruise @69,000 miles.  As I mentioned, no-one wanted to let it run sounding like that so it was turned off.

I have some pics of my dry camshaft bearing, but need to research how to post them.. :think:

Right, have now read the "how to", so let's have a go:

Bit of metal in undesirable place

SAM_0331_zpsmnzkun6k.jpg

Spot the difference

SAM_0334_zpsedc06rzb.jpg

Dry bearing

SAM_0332_zpsltcllrjr.jpg

Oops, they're a bit large, but you get the idea :D

Edited by Onza

If that's the garage by the big roundabout, I would not touch them with a barge pole after the lack of care they showed in my ex's Seat and the sh1tty attitude at least one of the blokes there has. One is a pretty nice guy, but the other is just a massive, stroppy tool!

Oooh, thanks for that, it is indeed. To be honest when I dropped it off the bloke at the desk seemed a bit erm, aloof. When I collected it I was dealt with by a different chap who was fine. I have a suspicion that the first guy was more aligned to Audi and hence Skoda (and if it's the same one who dealt with you, Seat) are beneath him.

The other option near me I have is the dealer in Aldershot but I found them not accommodating at all when I was look at buying a nearly new vRS. The place I ended up getting my car from is in South London but is a bit far to go for servicing..

Yes, me too, along with the chain slipping and beaking the 'guide' on the top of the head, you could also see that the end bearing on the head had  had a touch of oil starvation and the cam shaft and bearing showed distinct wear!

Oooh, thanks for that, it is indeed. To be honest when I dropped it off the bloke at the desk seemed a bit erm, aloof. When I collected it I was dealt with by a different chap who was fine. I have a suspicion that the first guy was more aligned to Audi and hence Skoda (and if it's the same one who dealt with you, Seat) are beneath him.

The other option near me I have is the dealer in Aldershot but I found them not accommodating at all when I was look at buying a nearly new vRS. The place I ended up getting my car from is in South London but is a bit far to go for servicing..

The sales side of Aldershot's dealership seemed a bit average when I tried buying my motor (albeit it was 2008!) but their spares/service lot have seemed pretty good when I've been in touch with them for odds & ends, very helpful so that side of things might be fine for you. Would probably use them if it wasn't for the fact dealerships are ridiculously expensive. :dull: They're in a completely different building down the road.

As a sidenote on the carbuying experience, I wanted to buy brand new from them as they were my nearest but the guy would not budge on his margins and I ended up getting it elsewhere for about £1500 less at the cost to me of a £30 train ticket. Absolute no brainer, but it wasn't for wont of giving him enough hints that if he could match or get close enough he'd have a sale

Edited by TeflonTom

Hi, I'm just after some advice.

I have a 60 reg VRS with the TSI engine. Its on 44k, I bought it last year on 29k and it came with a Skoda approved used warranty which is due to expire.

I want to get the chain tensioner upgraded to the latest version as I understand my car falls into the 'likely to fail' age/tensioner. From what I have read the chain tensioner can be upgraded, install a new chain (as it may as well be done at the same time) and change the guide rails. Is there anything else that can/should be updated at the same time?

It will be going to an independent that I trust and I believe this should cost between £300 & £500. Do I need to ensure certain part numbers are installed and should I insist that they come direct from Skoda or are there aftermarket alternatives perfectly suitable for the job?

Hi, I'm just after some advice.

I have a 60 reg VRS with the TSI engine. Its on 44k, I bought it last year on 29k and it came with a Skoda approved used warranty which is due to expire.

I want to get the chain tensioner upgraded to the latest version as I understand my car falls into the 'likely to fail' age/tensioner. From what I have read the chain tensioner can be upgraded, install a new chain (as it may as well be done at the same time) and change the guide rails. Is there anything else that can/should be updated at the same time?

It will be going to an independent that I trust and I believe this should cost between £300 & £500. Do I need to ensure certain part numbers are installed and should I insist that they come direct from Skoda or are there aftermarket alternatives perfectly suitable for the job?

Don't know how much Skoda would charge for the job but it will come with a 2 year warranty, parts and labour ( if done by skoda ) and the latest parts will/should be used.

Is there actually a list of part numbers for all parts concerned anywhere in this thread? (If there is I've missed it!). I'm considering getting it done just for the sake of it tbh. :)

It's just over a grand from a dealer.

I can get parts at trade and labour pretty much free (apart from the usual 1 litre bottle of JD!) so its very much worthwhile doing in my case. I'll have a google and see what comes up. :)

Is there actually a list of part numbers for all parts concerned anywhere in this thread? (If there is I've missed it!).

Here is such a list which I found elsewhere:

1. 06H 103 144 J – Bracket (or only 06H 103 081 E – Mesh) – all optional
  2. 06H 103 483 C – Gasket
  3. 06H 103 483 D – Timing Chain Cover Gasket (O-ring)
  4. 06K 109 158 AD – Timing chain
  5. 06H 109 210 Q – (or only 06H 103 085 G – Crankshaft Seal, but it may be very difficult to replace it)
  6. 06K 109 467 K – Tensioner
  7. 06H 109 509 Q – Guide
  8. 06H 109 469 T – Guide
  9. 06H 109 469 AP – Guide
  10. N 910 001 01 – Timing Chain Cover Gasket
  11. N 105 449 04 – Bolt (crankshaft)
Edited by briskycat

• 06H 103 144 J – Bracket (or only 06H 103 081 E – Mesh) – all optional
  • 06H 103 483 C – Gasket
  • 06H 103 483 D – Timing Chain Cover Gasket (O-ring)
  • 06K 109 158 AD – Timing chain
  • 06H 109 210 Q – (or only 06H 103 085 G – Crankshaft Seal, but it may be very difficult to replace)
  • 06K 109 467 K – Tensioner
  • 06H 109 509 Q – Guide
  • 06H 109 469 T – Guide
  • 06H 109 469 AP – Guide
  • N 910 001 01 – Timing Chain Cover Gasket
  • N 105 449 04 – Bolt (crankshaft)

Thanks Briskycat - total star! :)

My recommendation for any cars fitted with a bracket of earlier revision than 06H 103 144 J would be to do this at the same time and not consider it optional - applies to vehicles up to late 2011 I believe. If you got to the point you needed a new engine after this defective part failed as it did in my case then you would feel a right plonker for not having done it when you had the chance to do so economically.

1. 06H 103 144 J – Bracket (or only 06H 103 081 E – Mesh) – all optional
  2. 06H 103 483 C – Gasket
  3. 06H 103 483 D – Timing Chain Cover Gasket (O-ring)
  4. 06K 109 158 AD – Timing chain
  5. 06H 109 210 Q – (or only 06H 103 085 G – Crankshaft Seal, but it may be very difficult to replace it)
  6. 06K 109 467 K – Tensioner
  7. 06H 109 509 Q – Guide
  8. 06H 109 469 T – Guide
  9. 06H 109 469 AP – Guide
  10. N 910 001 01 – Timing Chain Cover Gasket
  11. N 105 449 04 – Bolt (crankshaft)

Thanks very much Brisky. Do you know how old that list is?