1.8TSI and 2.0TSI engine failures

DGW

Just heard back from my mechanic. It's running and running well. Should be coming home for some much needed TLC tomorrow. Interestingly, he said the teeth on the old Tensioner are all missing, hence the fail. All get some pics up when I get it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

To be fair to both of us - all the engines were defective (even according to VAGs own internal documentation) - but not all of them fail which is the point you are making

Can I have a copy of that VAG documentation? All 1.8 / 2ltr VAG engines across this period are defective?  :notme:

Car home and crikey, I was totally blown away with how quick it was. I'd totally forgotten to be honest and might have to think about selling it. It's already been thoroughly washed and clayed. Ready for polishing on Monday.

• Like 3

Car home and crikey, I was totally blown away with how quick it was. I'd totally forgotten to be honest and might have to think about selling it. It's already been thoroughly washed and clayed. Ready for polishing on Monday.

I guess it comes down to what you'd replace it with. :)  Properly sorted vRS though can be very nippy, and tends to surprise other road users as its not a "shouty" car..

Hi all, I have an octavia 1.8 tsi dsg. Working away near Salisbury, the car on start up made a bad noise - chain....got it recovered to independent garage, they did not do much but said it was to do with the tensioner.

Got it to skoda in Chippenham, they confirmed the pistons have hit the valves due to the chain skipping past the teeth. They want £650 to strip the head to varify the extent of damage. Will talk with them tomorrow for result.

60 plate octavia with 64k.

I guess it comes down to what you'd replace it with. :) Properly sorted vRS though can be very nippy, and tends to surprise other road users as its not a "shouty" car..

Sorry, I meant to type, 'might have to rethink about selling it'. I was all set to get rid as soon as it came back as it's already been replaced. However, I'm really attached to it and it's going to be hard to part with.

Currently have a Santa Fe for family duties (which was the replacement), a Clio 182 for fun and now the vRS as well.

I'm tempted to sell the Santa Fe and Clio and get a Subaru Forester Xt for family and Towing duties. I have a passion for Subarus, never driven a Forester though. Anyone?

Here is such a list which I found elsewhere:

1. 06H 103 144 J – Bracket (or only 06H 103 081 E – Mesh) – all optional
  2. 06H 103 483 C – Gasket
  3. 06H 103 483 D – Timing Chain Cover Gasket (O-ring)
  4. 06K 109 158 AD – Timing chain
  5. 06H 109 210 Q – (or only 06H 103 085 G – Crankshaft Seal, but it may be very difficult to replace it)
  6. 06K 109 467 K – Tensioner
  7. 06H 109 509 Q – Guide
  8. 06H 109 469 T – Guide
  9. 06H 109 469 AP – Guide
  10. N 910 001 01 – Timing Chain Cover Gasket
  11. N 105 449 04 – Bolt (crankshaft)

Can someone help me quite quickly?

My 1.8 has gone in and they've found the water pump to be leaking and will replace it for a total cost of £430 (I think, is was close enough anyway).

Am I right in thinking that now getting these parts replaced is the perfect time?

Any idea on total cost of the parts alone since a chunk of the labour will be covered in the new pump?

Do I need to give them this entire list of parts or just say that I want the tensioner replaced with this version and everything will be done alongside?

Or is is just the bolded items that I have to get done?

Thanks!

Edited by DBT85

The water pump is driven by a balance shaft via a toothed belt so there will be no saving in labour by changing the timing chain at the same time.

• Like 2

Hi all, I have an octavia 1.8 tsi dsg. Working away near Salisbury, the car on start up made a bad noise - chain....got it recovered to independent garage, they did not do much but said it was to do with the tensioner.

Got it to skoda in Chippenham, they confirmed the pistons have hit the valves due to the chain skipping past the teeth. They want £650 to strip the head to varify the extent of damage. Will talk with them tomorrow for result.

Heard back from Skoda, I have the mechanical ratchet tensioner and they found it at level 5 of 5. They are not sure why it would be at level 5 at this mileage. Anybody sells had this? Thanks

Heard back from Skoda, I have the mechanical ratchet tensioner and they found it at level 5 of 5. They are not sure why it would be at level 5 at this mileage. Anybody else had this? Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

just out of interest I've just posted this on Skodas FB page ....

I have a 1.8TSI Scout with a full main dealer service history. This is my 4th new Skoda in a row and will be eventually be replaced by a Superb SE L 280. I'm seeing that more and more 1.8Tsi engines are having the chain tensioner fail. This should last the life of the car. My car is now 5 years old with 30k miles. If this happened to my car would what would Skodas take on it be ?

How do all?

Just posting this for completeness on the thread, as sadly, it's history to me now.

2010 Octavia VRS - 50000 miles.

Worst case scenario in back history, I bought from independent garage in Jan 2013, with a few months left on warranty.

I then had it serviced twice at an independent to full service requirements, as believed there was no local Skoda place to me (Subsequently found that there WAS a Skoda Service Centre in Bolton, but it was bolted on to a Toyota dealership - silly me, should have known).

November 2014 - the usual story.  Went to start it at end of working day, heard a bit of a clatter, then just spinning and no compression - quick check on internet and found this thread.

Car recovered to the above mentioned Skoda Service Centre, who to be fair, were absolutely fantastic.  They did need a push to check the tensioner (thanks for the heads up, Briskoda), but then confirmed it was goosed, as was the engine, and reported it to Skoda UK raising a claim.  I would like to point out that the service manager Richard and his master technician were nothing but supportive and professional at all times.

Then the horror began.......

Skoda UK were absolutely dismissive due to car not having FSSH (despite Richard stating that it was effectively over serviced and was in perfect condition).

They were slow to respond and NEVER once responded directly about the faulty tensioner, and effectively said 'if you don't like it - contact Motor Codes'.

After much cajoling, emails and phone calls over 6-7 weeks, including quoting this very thread, they would not budge beyond 35% off a replacement engine.  They initially offered ZERO, then after confirmation of oils used 25%, but bunged on another 10% after I was able to prove my daughter had a Skoda!

As engine was out, I asked for a new clutch to be put in as a precautionary measure (was still paying for the car and wanted to future proof it).

Got the car back early January 2015, after about eight weeks. Total cost was around £4000 to me, including labour etc (that included new front pads as well).

To say I was gutted would be an understatement.  If there was no other history of this problem, I would have just had to take it on the chin.

However, there is plenty of history with this engine, not only in the UK, but worldwide.  Furthermore, a simple search of VW, SEAT and Audi forums will show that this problem occurs across the group, in any car this engine is fitted to.  Others have more eloquently discussed the science of the tensioner failure, that it is not a service part and that there have been several revisions since the notorious faulty batch, which further upholds the abject failure of Skoda UK to do the right thing.  I have even read that owners with an extended Skoda warranty have been refused a claim as 'it is a known design issue'.

To be clear, I absolutely loved my VRS.  Without a doubt, it was my favourite car to date. I lavished care and attention on it to the degree that I was known as 'the bloke who is always washing his car'.  I was even prepared to take the financial hit and keep the car as I loved it that much.  So, my beef is not with the car, but Skoda UK's attitude towards their customers, on a known issue, that they use any possible swerve to ignore or avoid.  In addition, the fact that how much 'goodwill' you get, is in part due to your brand loyalty - understandable.  However, it would also seem to be down to some mystery factors no-one seems to be aware of (possibly how much they have paid out that month?).

The last straw came in May 2015, a week after I had spent a full day washing, clay barring, resin polishing then HD waxing my white beauty.  I was driving along and the engine management light came on, clouds of white smoke out the exhaust, BIG stink of petrol, loss of power/misfiring.  Pulled over, and for the second time had to be recovered to Skoda Service Centre.  Upshot was a blocked open injector, flooding the engine with neat fuel.  My worry was that it was washing a cylinder bore of any oil, and possibly screwing up my catalytic convertor in the process.  As the injector was migrated from the old engine, it was not covered by the 2 year warranty on the replacement engine.   Several hundred pounds sterling later I got my car back.

Unfortunately,my​ goodwill ran out at this point, as did my confidence in Skoda/VAG as a brand.

The Skoda went (a big financial hit to me), and was replaced by a BMW.  A close friend got rid of his Audi TT and bought a Porsche as a result of my experience.  My daughter says she will never buy a car from VAG again, and my other daughter avoided VAG when buying her first car (brand new).  I have been well and truly burned by VAG, and it will effect my future car buying, at a point in my life when I am lucky enough to have a bit more financial choice.

How I laughed (not) the other week when Watchdog did a piece on Audi engine failures/oil burning.  This seemed to be on the back of a lots of reports to Watchdog, and VAG subsequently gave revised offers to customers.

Perhaps if we all banded together, we may be able to effect some change?  What about a  batch of complaints to Watchdog?

Good luck to others in this situation - keep pushing - quote this thread - and don't take the first offer.

• Like 2

just out of interest I've just posted this on Skodas FB page ....

I have a 1.8TSI Scout with a full main dealer service history. This is my 4th new Skoda in a row and will be eventually be replaced by a Superb SE L 280. I'm seeing that more and more 1.8Tsi engines are having the chain tensioner fail. This should last the life of the car. My car is now 5 years old with 30k miles. If this happened to my car would what would Skodas take on it be ?

surprise.... No reply from Skoda ... They have however replied to the post above saying they have sold 1.5 million cars in China ...

My car is going to Skoda garage this Thursday I have decided not to wait for that day so I'm going to change my tensioner ( full kit ) . I know that it will cost me some money but well I really like my car and I don't want to spend £5000 on new engine. Hopefully this will solve the problem forever. 

• Like 1

Another 1.8TSi engine needed

My car is a Superb 1.8TSi Elegance DSG. New in Sept 2009 with 13000 miles I bought in Dec 2010 and now has 67000 miles

Full Skoda service history. Prior to buying this Superb I had bought a brand new Octavia VRS DSG diesel in Jan 2010

About a year ago it started to use oil and now having had an oil consumption test carried out with my service last week it has been calculated that it is using 2.36 litres per 1000km (625 Miles)

The dealer says it needs a new engine  at £4800 but the 'matrix' they use to determine any goodwill payment shows none is available but suggest I ring Skoda UK.

Did this and told goodwill runs out at 60 months  but they will speak to the  dealer. 

Had a call back from the dealer as promised and they have now offered 30% goodwill off the price ( down to £3300 approx)

New engine would be a reconditioned one with the latest design of camchain tensioner

Does any one have any suggestions in how I can get them to increase this without reverting to legal processes 

Am I right in thinking that Sale of Goods Act would not apply as I am the second owner.

The garage have said that the coating of the cylinder or pistons is failing which I feel is an inherent design fault

Just to clarify - was this a tensioner failure?

No. Engine is running fine. This is purely down to excessive oil use caused by a breakup of the coating on the cylinders and/or pistons.

Tried Skoda UK again, they said that its only 30% goodwill