Car judders and EPC light comes on :-(

Michael G

Checked out of Center Parcs today. Tacked on the NEC camping show for tomorrow. 2 minutes away from our overnighter, the car Judders setting off at a junction, the `skiddy car symbol lights up, and in the other dial, the EPC light and engine warning light come on.

Manage to limp our way to our Premier Inn, called Skoda Assistance, all in hand. Engineer has also rung to give an ETA update.

Bit away from home so hoping it's something simple. Should know in about 30 minutes.

The VAG tech says it's a faulty HT lead on C4, possibly caused by its proximity to the exhaust manifold?

He doesn't carry one (surely this will be a VAG bin part?) and of course the local dealers are shut. So nothing doing for tonight, but that's OK as we're having a night in testing the bed with Lenny Henry.

But won't know till tomorrow whether we will go to the ball, or indeed whether we'll be going home in our own car. The system shows stock, but not whether the stock has been used today.

Yeti love severely dented :-(

I made the bit about Lenny Henry up.

Thanks shrub. Has to be worth a punt should t'worst come t'worst, though when the lad removed it the connectors looked nothing like anything I'd ever seen.

Same fault for me on New Years Day left without car overnight but sorted by RAC,Skoda Assist. Turbo problems earlier left me stranded until replacement hire car sorted. On both occasions went into limp mode at a critical time and could have been nasty....halfway round a roundabout.True to say I have lost confidence in the beast and will more than likely end my acquaintance when the warranty runs out in June.

Bless James at VAG/Skoda/RAC Assistance. He got a lead from Wolverhampton and we were on our way to the NEC by 10:00am. Car behaved itself and all the way home last night so all's well that ends well.

It was actually cylinder three lead. This one passes close to the exhaust manifold. The new lead had some additional protection round it in the area affected in the old one so methinks this has happened before. The lead isn't specific to the Yeti but is to the 1.2 TSi engine.

We'll give the car another chance then :whew:

Have to say, I was very impressed with all concerned at Skoda Assist. Friendly, efficient, regular updates, and the most important, they fixed it. Fortunately, we'd no need to be anywhere that night, so in that respect the fates were with us.

Edited by Michael G

Glad it's sorted :)

We have recently replaced our 2010 Fabia 1.2TSI for a late 2012 version with the same engine; noticed the HT leads are now in a protective box across the engine cam cover from the distributor/coil pack module at the back to the plugs at the front, rather than just held in place by a simple clip :wonder:

TP

Yes, ours has the same box. The lid pops off and the 4 leads are clipped in place in guides. The fault, apparently heat related, was before the box, where the C3 lead at the front curves up and over, passing close to the manifold as it does so. The new lead had some sort of corrugated tube over it at that exact same point, hence my wondering if they'd modded it in the light of experience. If yours doesn't have that tube, it would be worth keeping an eye on the lead.

Thanks TP. It's me then who needs to keep an eye on the rest. Not a conduit to be seen on 1,2, and 4. But it's no.3 most at risk, as your pics so clearly show.

I had exactly the same problem with the number 3 HT lead, although mine was intermittent at first. I also had a judder with my DSG when changing to 2nd gear, cured by having a new clutch fitted. To top it all the cam-chain slipped and I needed a total engine rebuild at 55000 miles I have a 2010 model and I think the more recent engines are ok. I still trust the beast though and now the fuel consumption is 2-3 mpg better too.

• 1 month later...

With you on that one. Our escapade resulted in one conduit cased replacement lead being fitted (the one most at risk) but pics I've seen show all 4 with them. Definitely worth checking the insulation on them all whenever the hood is up.

• 3 months later...