Replacement of EGR Cooler on 2010 yeti

skodairl

Hi,

I have a Skoda Yeti Ambition 2.0TDI 2010.While driving the car 1/02/13 glow plug warning light came on twice (turned off car) stating engine fault.Had it checked on that day with skoda assistance, nothing came up on diagnostic computer.

Happened again a week later .there was a loss of power to the car this time.

Booked it in with garage for Diagnostic test.

During the diagnostic check for the Engine management light and loss of power they found faults in the engine control unit relating to the EGR cooler.

Further guided checks they found the EGR cooler itself to be faulty and would need to be replaced.

Is this common in a not yet 3 year old car.There is only a 2 year warrenty on the car.

has this problem happened to anyone?

Yes I believe the VAG EGR have been a problem in the past but more associated with the earlier PD engines.

6674860119_5524e8108a_o.jpg

Oh as to why it's there; emissions again. Found the following faily straight forward description via a internet search

EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) is a way of controlling/reducing the amount of oxides of nitrogen (NOx) emissionsicon1.png by effectively quenching the combustion temperature. It does this by introducing some oxygen-poor exhaust gas into the air intake stream. Less oxygen content means less burn means less burn temp which means less NOx formation.

That's a glossy explanation for a fairly complicated situation, but it covers the basics.

Now, on turbo diesels, controlling the inlet air charge temperature is important as it directly influences exhaust gas temperature -- and if EGT is too high, it can cause damage to expensive bits downstream -- such as the turbocharger. So to keep the EGR from spiking the inlet air charge temp (IACT) too high, the EGR gases pass through a cooler that knocks a bunch of heat out and transfers it to the coolant. This drops the EGR gas temp from as much as 1000F to 500F or lower.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There have been some issues with EGR coolers cracking along some of the brazed joints, which causes a leak. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hope of help,

TP

• Like 2

I had an EGR valve not cooler go on my 2010 140 SE just before Christmas.

Exhaust fault light came on and car went into limp home mode. Managed to get to nearest dealer, luckily less than 1 mile away.

Unfortunately a Saturday so nothing could be done until Monday.

Fixed under warranty, got Betti back after 3 days. Had done about 41k at that point. Time for a change now, she's nearly 3.

• Like 1

Thank you for all your replies.

My Skoda Yeti has 67,768kms on it.it has been serviced at 29,000kms,45,000kms and 60,000kms.

It is going to cost 347.11euro for parts and 322.50euro for Labour.

Skoda have offered to pay 70%cost of the parts (242.35euro) but not the Labour cost.

I have had a previous problem with the air conditioning unit it was blowing hot air out of the vents when it was not even on.this took a long time to solve.a lot of trips to the garage.it happened in 2011.

I do love the Skoda Yeti but am keeping my fingers crossed nothing else goes wrong!

see my post of some weeks ago. Had mine replaced underwarranty. Less than 20K, well under 3 years old.

Chris

Hi Chris,Did the garage say the replacement of the EGR Cooler was unusual,just curious as mine is out of warranty.

Hi there . No they just replaced it without comment.Can't find the paperwork at the moment but it seems to have required the drive shafts to be unbolted, as new bolts were required. The days of things being simple are long gone!

Chris

Hi there . No they just replaced it without comment.Can't find the paperwork at the moment but it seems to have required the drive shafts to be unbolted, as new bolts were required. The days of things being simple are long gone!

Chris

Thank You for your reply

• 6 months later...

Hi, I thought I should revive this topic as my 2010 Yeti, at just over 30,000 miles, has just had this same failure. Unfortunately I was on route to Scotland from Nottinghamshire and had to limp to my holiday destination before hiring a replacement car while the Yeti is repaired. I got the impression from the dealer today that it was a common problem and have been told there is a good chance that at least half of the cost, estimated at £700 to £800, will be refunded by Skoda, but it seems I have to pay first and then produce evidence of a full main dealer service history. The dealer is some 70 miles from where I'm staying in Scotland so it's all pretty frustrating.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All - Just for the record, it happened to us today too, in France (where we live) with Yeti RHD 2.0 TDi at 42K miles. Limped to local garage. Cost of 902€ to fix. Out of warranty. Ouch... As above, we love the Yeti but....

• 1 year later...

2011 Yeti Greenline - four years old, little miles around 30- odd 000 - recent NCT  not picked up anything - egr valve gone - dealer looking for €650 to replace, €360 for part, rest labour amounting to 3-4 hours - 1 local mechanic saying can't do the job, anyone got any prices on this job for me to compare please? I have seen similar parts cheaper online. Wondering if another mechanic could fit if i sourced part... any thoughts on it?

• 2 weeks later...

2011 Yeti Greenline - four years old, little miles around 30- odd 000 - recent NCT  not picked up anything - egr valve gone - dealer looking for €650 to replace, €360 for part, rest labour amounting to 3-4 hours - 1 local mechanic saying can't do the job, anyone got any prices on this job for me to compare please? I have seen similar parts cheaper online. Wondering if another mechanic could fit if i sourced part... any thoughts on it?

Just a follow up - went to a different skoda dealer who said as the milage was only at 40,000kms/25,000miles it should be part covered by skoda even though the car is 4 years old and out of warranty as it is an inherent fault in those years of model, they get this all the time, and Skoda usually cover 60-80% of the cost of the part. They paid out for most of the cost of the part - and so I'm paying €350 to get it done. The first dealer said it was our fault - we had worn it out - obviously not as the mileage is more like 2 years worth of driving, never offered anything, wouldn't admit it's not right for that to go on a car that age with light use etc... just said the info might be of use for someone else with this problem

• Like 1