removing steering wheel?

Big deano

If its anything like the octavia its easy. Done it loads of times.

The airbag has clips that you access via two holes in the rear of the wheel when you turn the wheel 90 degreed. poke a flat blade in and lever outwards. Close your eyes and picture what you can feel through the screwdriver. Its easy when you know how. Then there is a connector to pop off the airbag. You should disconnect the battery really, i did to begin with but then did it without.

Then a Spline bolt and voila. Careful with the indicator reset and steering lock thingy, mark it or i take photographs.

• 3 weeks later...

Follow the cruise control retrofit guide, it deals with wheel removal, airbag should be as per Octavia/Polo.

Iirc... Vw say removing the battery at least 20 minutes before removing/altering any airbags.

I've also seen them removed with the battery still attached.

And I've also... Been told the story from a guy at Mercedes when an airbag went off when he was leaning over trying to remove the bolt or somthing, airbag went off, hit his neck and killed him. Don't know how true it is but always best to watch what your doing!