1.9PD mysterious starting problems

Guest pajor91

Guest pajor91

Mother drives an 09 1.9PD estate. More often than not now unfortunately, takes her an age to get it started. Turns over no problem, but to my untrained ear it sounds like some sort of a fuel problem.

What I really don't get about it is, that it's gone through 2 Skoda main dealer services like this. Computer gets plugged into ECU etc and says there's no problem. Well there clearly is if the car doesn't start! :wonder:

It's only about to tick over 100,000 km (62,140 miles) and it's never missed a service. Any ideas or experiences?

The stealers are vcds reliant they don't know how to do proper mechanical investagation anymore ! quite sad really.

Vacuum test the incoming feed at filter if this pulls instantly through as it should go to the fuel lines on the top of the fuel tank.

again vacuum test feed line here sometimes get a sticky valve.

The fuel should instantly pull through with one pump if not thats your problem either replace or repair unit.

I hope this helps

Regards

• Like 1

If it starts ok when cold, but not hot/ warm it mightwell be because the engine isn't turning over fast enough- it has to reach a certain crank speed when the engine is warm before the fuel is switched on so if doesn't reach that speed no diesel is injected into the cylinders. If this is the problem it's usually either the starter motor or battery on the way out

Is it still on the original battery? Get the battery checked. Had this problem a few years ago with a diesel Xantia. When cold the engine seemed to turn over fine on the starter but took an age to start. Replaced glowplugs - no difference. Replaced battery - problem solved, engine burst into life with the shortest of short turns of the key whether hot or cold.

As the battery ages the voltage drops until it just hasn't enough ooomph to get the glowplugs really hot. Then the engine doesn't turn over quite so fast and the result is increased starter motor use that drains the battery even further leading to a vicious circle of decline.

Infrequent use will be a factor too.

Edited by eccleshill

I had a Focus TDCI that had similar starting trouble, was eventually traced to the starter: was drawing so much current that it was shutting the ECU down.

Is it still on the original battery? Get the battery checked. Had this problem a few years ago with a diesel Xantia. When cold the engine seemed to turn over fine on the starter but took an age to start. Replaced glowplugs - no difference. Replaced battery - problem solved, engine burst into life with the shortest of short turns of the key whether hot or cold.

As the battery ages the voltage drops until it just hasn't enough ooomph to get the glowplugs really hot. Then the engine doesn't turn over quite so fast and the result is increased starter motor use that drains the battery even further leading to a vicious circle of decline.

Infrequent use will be a factor too.

I had a similar issue with mine, but only when attempting to start a warm engine. I changed the battery and all has been fine since.

Guest pajor91

It's still on its original battery. Gets used everyday too for commuting etc. More reluctant to start when cold, especially in the morning.

Have you tried asking your mother the obvious question. Does she allow the glow plug light to extinguish? (SWMBO had no idea what I was talking about ) Also try repeated heating to see if that helps.

Guest pajor91

Have you tried asking your mother the obvious question. Does she allow the glow plug light to extinguish? (SWMBO had no idea what I was talking about ) Also try repeated heating to see if that helps.

I've been with her when it's happened, glow plug light does go out. She has experience of a dodgy Renault diesel, so knows perfectly well to wait.

Once the oil warning even flashed up when turning over too.

It's one of two things.

1) Dying battery. A failing battery on the Octavia has been known to generate some very strange symptoms.

2) Alternator / starter motor. Again a fairly well documented issue on the Octavia.

As 1) is cheaper then 2) I'd start with a new battery.

• 2 years later...

Bosch S5 or the Varta E44 (096). High Amp hour and CCA (cold cranking amps).

The batteries are both the same, just branded differently - find the cheapest.

These batteries get very good reviews and are far better than the low spec OEM ones that Skoda fit.