Paint blisters on doors

LMC

I had the peppered rear doors as well (April 2010 car, no protective strips) but the next owner inherited that little problem. I wonder if the front mud flaps improve matters? I didn't have any fitted.

Disturbing.  I wonder if this was one of the other reasons that Which? marked the Yeti down this year from 5 stars to 3.  It's certainly made me think very carefully about whether we still want a Yeti.  Shame - the decision was almost made, and the price was right.

Have to say in the almost three years I had the Yeti I had constant problems with paintwork on the doors, originally following stone chips on the rear off side door Skoda paid for it to be resprayed and foils were fitted. Then after about 10 months the lacquer under the nearside foil started to lift so that the foil had to be removed and the door resprayed before a new foil was fitted. Early on after a small stone chip on the drivers door all the lacquer started to bubble I had to pay for that repair so I had clear film fitted to all the lower door sections. 

I never really had any confidence in the paint always seemed a bit soft, certainly the paintwork on my new Superb appears to be of a higher quality but time will tell.

Hi Shrub, no mud flaps make no difference at all mine were fitted from new , I've looked and can't understand how the car is getting peppered when mud guards are fitted, answers on a post card. 

Can't believe Skoda Uk had the nerve to say he had no problems reported from Yeti owners since fitting the plastic film just shows what they think of their customers, they must be a bit stupid to be saying that when there are sites like this openly talking about their car problems.

My partner and I have had about 7 Skoda cars Octavia's and Fabia's with no paint chipping problems seems to have been some sort of design problem where the tyres are able to throw chippies against the side of the car or the paint is not up to the job.

Anyone with a Yeti should make sure they check their paint work carefully on a regular basis and especially before the warranty runs out as it looks like Skoda don't want to know you after the warranty is out.

I for one will not be buying another Yeti it's been the worst car I've had for problems eg failed turbo after first service, windows wouldn't go up , 2 sets wiper blades, numerous bulbs , failed lights. Dealer has been excellent I will add, I'll have to wait and see what happens with SUK.

I'm not prepared to let Skoda off the hook with this FAULT they have known about from the time this car was brought out. Multimedia is a great tool !!!!

I for one will not be buying another Yeti it's been the worst car I've had for problems eg failed turbo after first service, windows wouldn't go up , 2 sets wiper blades, numerous bulbs , failed lights. Dealer has been excellent I will add, I'll have to wait and see what happens with SUK.

Sorry, but those are consumable items!

The paint "problem" is not just affecting Skoda, it is affecting lots of makes of cars. In the past paint was solvent based so was harder and more resilient, but due to environmental problems that had to stop, so paint now uses water as it's solvent. Therefore it is softer and damages much more easily.

I hear this same complaint being made time after time, but until the paint scientists develop a better and more resilient method we are going to have to live with it.

Yes Llanigraham  they are consumable items, but I've owned several Skoda's from new and never had to replace any bulbs or wiper blades in a 3year period. And as for the paint as above none of the Skoda's have ever had chipping paint work along the bottom of the doors if it was a paint problem the whole car would be peppered in chips from road debris so that argument doesn't stand up sorry. we have a two year old Fabia estate at the moment with no paint damage so it's not down to that.This a design problem where chippings are being thrown along the bottom of the doors causing paint damage. If you can name any other manufactures with the SAME problem I'll be more than happy to look into them.

Windscreen wipers that are 3 years old?! To me that says a lot, considering I replace my wipers annually. And bulbs go; they aren't exactly expensive. Other than a DRL bulb that I did complain about I've replaced a few others on mine. I expect bulbs to blow!

Paint problems:

Land Rover

Vauxhall

Ford,

VW

Seat

BMW.

Peugeot

Nearly every car forum you can find people are commenting on how modern paint systems are softer and damage more easily. It is a fault of the environmentalists insisting on the reduction of solvents, so that modern paints are now water based.

I have a friend with a Pug 208 that has had the bonnet painted twice. My own Yeti has stone chips on the bonnet and on one rear wheel arch, but considering the mileage and type of use I have I accept it will happen.

My experience is the same as glenlea. Other Skodas I have owned just didn't have any issues whereas the yeti has had much more. The aircon which was replaced last year is squealing again, and now the grab handle which you use to pull the boot lid down has come off in my hands. For some reason the quality does not seem to be up to normal skoda standards.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Sorry Lianigraham I have to disagree yes you will get paint chips on the bonnets etc but NEVER have I had any cars and I've had a good few in my 35 years of driving that have had stone chippings and bubbles along all the doors the way the Yeti has. As before we have and have had other Skoda's with water based paint which have had NO problem at all with the paint or chipping along the doors. When we have been looking at new and second hand cars I have never seen any cars with chipping like this EVER, yes you do get the odd chips on cars bonnets etc but that happened even when it was oil based paint. You don't work for Skoda do you ? Wipers etc were not 3 years old 1st ones were less than a year and at around 35/40 pounds a pair I'm certainly not replacing them annually or should have to they should last longer than that it's only water they are wiping away.

This chipping and bubbling along the doors is not a problem all car manufacturers have, it's been a design flaw with the Yeti.

People who are having or have had a problem with this, will be asking themselves will I buy another Yeti or even a Skoda especially if SUK don't help out, when they have known there is a problem, that's why they introduced the clear stripping for the arches which doesn't seem to be up to the job either as it should really have been put along the full length of all the doors. Anyway enough from me I'm going to fight my case and bring this problem to a wider audience so that others can be aware to check their paint on regular basis and for potential new owners to ask the question before buying.It's a real shame Skoda haven't fixed this problem ,seeing rusty Yeti's on the road will be like going back the days when Skoda were the butt of motoring jokes.

Fine, we'll agree to disagree, then.

Non arguementative points:

Windscreen wipers don't just wipe water, they wipe dead flies, dust, tree sap, environmental pollution, and snow and ice, and are also subject to ultra-violet light plastic-hardening. I can pay less than £35 for all 3 Bosch wipers on Ebay or Amazon, and sometimes even less if they are on offer. Currently I have a spare set awaiting fitting because of that.

Work for Skoda? No chance; I pull levers in a Network Rail signal box!! Although 30 years ago I did work with their Rally Team.

And you should have seen the chips and scratches down the sides of my last Freelander!! It isn't just Yeti's that get it.

My last car (3yr old nissan) was peppered with stone chips when I traded it in recently. I've never seen the like before, but I suspect it is down to modern paint. I will be keeping a close eye on the yeti paintwork.

• Like 1

I do feel a bit of an interloper here now, but I signed up some time back to get some inside info on the Yeti - which the wife had fallen in love with.  The 5 star Which? reliability rating last year had persuaded me it was a good bet, and I received an awful lot of helpful advice from members.

I'd even more or less done a deal to buy one.  We were both looking forward to it.  I'd become vaguely aware of the possible paint problems through the forum, but then - bang! - this year's Which? reliability survey came out.  And the five stars had dropped to just three, with some particularly negative comments about electrics and automatic transmissions.  Which? even commented on why (unusually) they were dropping the reliability score by so much as a result of adverse reports from owners.

That made me think long and hard.  I do need a reliable car, and I thought the Yeti was the one.  But looking further into it - and very helpful threads like this and so many others - I can't take the chance.  There are too many reports of paint problems to ignore.  We all know that water-based paints aren't as good as the old oil-based ones, but there's clearly a problem with Yetis.  The dealers know it, but Skoda UK seem to be wanting to cover it over.

That's exactly the way that VW UK used to (and doubtless still do) deal with problems, and one of the reasons I'm moving away from VW after so many years.  An Octavia might still be on the cards, but I'm afraid the Yeti's no longer an option, and quite possibly we'll go for the reliability of a Honda.

I do appreciate all the help in here, though - amongst the most helpful forum I've encountered. 

You need to read forums like this with caution, you do see a number of people posting about particular problems but you don't see anything about all the much greater number with no problems. I take everything from Which with a pinch of salt. I read that survey and there were some glaring factual inaccuracies in it which led me to question the reliability of the whole thing. 

I have had niggling issues with my Yeti but they have been trivial - it's just that in comparison with an entirely fault free performance over a period of 25 years of owning Skodas and nothing else, the yeti sticks out. But I would not suggest it is unreliable. Experiences of course may vary.

The Octavia is an excellent car, I have owned 5 (so far)

:rock:

• Like 1

Echo domhnall's comments - on any forum the problems get shouted much louder than the benefits.  I've had mine nearly 4 years and had 60,000 miles of virtually trouble free motoring (1 breakdown call out - my own stupid fault for allowing the battery to drain).  Yes a few niggles (rear arch foils, paint blisters & 1 sensor) - but the positives far outweigh these - to the point I am giving serious consderation to placing a new order in the next few days.

@ Glenlea - did you speak to normal SkodaUK customer services, or did you try the direct route (MD)?  I tried the normal CS approach, but found them to be only partially helpful; talking via the MD's office got a better line of communication and the correct end result.

To the post above, talking to the (was at the time) bodyshop manager, he has seen this on many cars within the VAG range, not just the Yeti, or the Skoda range alone.

I agree, a few niggles with my Yeti but nothing major and it didn't let me down over the two years that I had it. The fact is that, despite the paint chipping etc, I would buy another.

I wonder if this paint damage business is a problem for crossover type cars because of the raised ride height? Any former Nissan QQ owners out there?

70k miles, and yes I've got a few paint "blemishes" but I obviously take a more "relaxed" view of these matters.

No mechanical problems at all.

One complaint to SUK about a DRL bulb blowing prematurley, which they replaced. Headlight bulbs replaced with Osrams and a brake and sidelight bulb replaced.

And I would agree with the others. I've been populating car forums for some years and the largest (by far) percentage of postings are from people who want an answer to a problem. What you rarely get are the good stories from happy owners. At first this forum was full of happy owners, because the Yeti was almost unique, and certainly rare. Now it is becoming more common, plus it has reached the second-hand market, but still the percentage of serious problems is very low overall.

No car, ever, has been built fault free, and I am amazed at some of the (what I consider) petty "toys out of pram" attitudes from some owners because of minor problems that could often be remedied easily with a sensible consultaion with the dealer and SUK. Yes we know that SUK could do better, but I sometimes wonder whether their intrangent attitude is caused by the manner of approach by the car owner.

And as for condeming a complete manufacturer because of a "problem" with one model................................!!!!

• Like 4

My first Yeti had no paint issues-a couple of trolley dings and one genuine stone chip in 18000 miles and the new one has none apart from the scrape by a sad old dear at M&S. I'm torn between 2 possibilities, either your problem is that you have a rogue car or I have had two exceptional ones.

I agree, no paint work issues for me either.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

+1 no problems on ether of my yetis, I fitted the foils on my 2010 yeti soon after I had it, that had one stone chip on the front bumper at 18 months old when I part x it for the current yeti, which at a tad over two years old is chip free (going to the log basket to touch a large log) 

Sorry guys but I think when you spend £23000 on a car it's paint work should last more than a few months.

It would appear that there are several owners here who are saying that there are no issues, or if there are, they are minor.

I'm sorry but I think your expectations are a little over-optimistic.

Having read this Thread from start to finish and the previous linked Thread started by TP regarding the Paint Blister issue, I think it is a issue that will not go away.Paint chips are an issue with every car, it,s just a fact of life.I do think that the use of Protection foil in certain areas does help.The Paint Blister issue is one that does cause a lot of Yeti owners problems ( just reading the previous threads on the Forum brings this to light).The Paint Blister issue is not confined just to Skoda it does affect the WHOLE of the VAG group, and possibly other Car Manufacturers, and so should be redressed by Car Manufacturers.

Sorry Graham can,t agree with just a few Owners, the Issue is a lot more widespread than that.

Tony

Lol I don't think so. We are all having different experiences that's life, damage, it may vary by model, tyres etc I don't know  . I'm just telling you my story after reading very similar ones on this forum.  You haven't seen the state of my doors Llanigraham re sale value will be badly hit trying to sell it like this.. People who have had no problems that's great I wish I had their cars.I suppose some of it's my own fault for not checking the paint work along the doors more often after the car was re-sprayed and then I would have been able to get the work done under warranty.I'm not Pro or anti Skoda but certainly would like people to be aware of the issues I've had as others have on this forum.The forum has been very helpful to me to see that people are having the same problem as me and also to know that it's not happening to every Yeti so it may well be a model thing,I'll keep reading the posts to see. I've worked in retail 35 years and believe me customer expectations are unbelievably high when spending a £1 let alone £23000. Anyway enough from me I'll let you know how I get on, when the dealer gets in touch. Llanigraham I would love you as a customer Sir so understanding, not many about like that nowadays, have a good day.

No problem Glenlea.

Yes I can be understanding and realistic, but also having run a shop for 9 years I can also be a bit of a b................ too. :giggle:

(The customer is always right, until they've closed the door on the way out)

And we are now off to North Wales to meet our daughter on holiday. :happy: :happy:

• Like 1

Manxskoda I've had a good few VW cars golfs and Passats and several Skoda's from new and second hand, and have never had any problems with chipping and bubbling along the bottom of the doors with any of those cars NEVER I must been the luckiest guy in the world up till now lol, yes occasional chips on the bonnet or bumpers yes. That's why I'm so annoyed with this car I love it it's different in looks from others.Just disappointed that this car has had a paint problem from the start and Skoda don't seem to be that sympathetic. I see hundreds of parked cars every day and since hearing comments that it's more of a problem with all makes I'm looking at them in a different way and have noticed in the last day or two that a lot ( not all) of the 4x4's tend to have plastic covers about 6 inches in width along the bottom of the doors that's something that might have helped the Yeti's that are like mine having a problem.This was a big investment for me and will probably never own another new one, so for me this problem is very disappointing.Really interesting to read all the comments though, good and bad makes you look at things in a different way.Hope they don't do away with the round fog lights on the New Yeti part of it's character i think.Happy Motoring. 

• Like 1