Paint blisters on doors

LMC

Hi guys just to say got my Yeti back today all the doors resprayed and looking great, for now.My car was out of warranty but that doesn't have to mean you won't get the work done FREE of charge. It's taken almost 5 months but worth it, it has saved me more than £1000. If you don't get satisfaction from Skoda UK then take your case to the top DON'T GIVE UP.e:mail addresses available if you contact me. VW dealer suggested having a clear foil put along the doors. Good Luck.

• Like 2

I have the same problem with my Skod Yeti. I have a 2010 Yeti where I found rust (lots of blisters) in 2012. It was repainted in summer of 2012 and now in 2013 the same problem pops up again. VW will not fix the problem again because it is a few months over a 3 year warranty. But it's the same problem that occurred after only 2 years. They made the paintjob just to keep me happy until the 3 year guaranty period passed.  I have talked to paint shops and been told that if there is a galvanization problem it is no use to cover it with new paint. The only way to solve it is to get new metal that is galvanized in a correct way. But I guess that VW has no interest in changing my 5 doors. When I talked to the VW authorized paint shop they told me that VW has had this problem with a few of their models. Now I’m stuck with a Yeti that is rusting rapidly (the rust expand quickly when the galvanization is bad). The biggest problem is not that a fault has occurred on my car, but that VW is hiding the problem to save cost.

When I look through forums I can see that VW has problems with many of their car models. It is crazy for such a large brand to not take responsibility for a know production problem.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem with my Skod Yeti. I have a 2010 Yeti where I found rust (lots of blisters) in 2012. It was repainted in summer of 2012 and now in 2013 the same problem pops up again. VW will not fix the problem again because it is a few months over a 3 year warranty. But it's the same problem that occurred after only 2 years. They made the paintjob just to keep me happy until the 3 year guaranty period passed.  I have talked to paint shops and been told that if there is a galvanization problem it is no use to cover it with new paint. The only way to solve it is to get new metal that is galvanized in a correct way. But I guess that VW has no interest in changing my 5 doors. When I talked to the VW authorized paint shop they told me that VW has had this problem with a few of their models. Now I’m stuck with a Yeti that is rusting rapidly (the rust expand quickly when the galvanization is bad). The biggest problem is not that a fault has occurred on my car, but that VW is hiding the problem to save cost.

When I look through forums I can see that VW has problems with many of their car models. It is crazy for such a large brand to not take responsibility for a know production problem.

Hi as far as I'm aware and have been told by VW over here my paint job done by them last month now has a 3 year warranty not from chipping though, worth having a go at them again or go direct to Skoda head office that's what I had to do 5 months of wrangling but they gave in and resprayed my car again and it was out of warranty, you have to fight for your rights. Best of luck I have some helpful e:mail addresses if you would like them contact me on  [email protected]. The stone chipping along the bottom of the doors I have stopped by extending the Yeti mudflaps by 90mm no splattering of mud or stones along the doors now seems to have worked won't prevent the blistering though.

I've just got my car back after having both sides resprayed under warranty, & this repair paperwork states that it is covered by a three year warranty or the balance of the manufacturers warranty, whichever is the longest. I think there's possibly 2 problems going on here. Some cars are getting damaged paintwork either from stones or weak top coat that's not adhered to the primer properly. This is a paint defect, covered by the 3 year paint warranty. Other cars (like mine & I think Martin Blomqvist's) are suffering from either bad zinc protection application before the cars were painted on the production line, or (more likely) poor quality steel that was already rusting before the zinc coating was even applied in the factory which has prevented the zinc from etching & adhering to the steel. So after a while, the rust spreads & the paint, zinc primer & undercoat just falls off leaving bare (probably rusty) steel. Surely this is covered by the 8 year anti-corrosion warranty?  As I've previously stated, my partner's A3 had a new door after 7 years because it rusted. All may not be lost! I guess the deciding factor as to which warranty it is covered by is whether the paint damage leaves rusting bare steel or primer on show. There's certainly enough evidence on here to suggest Skoda / VAG has a significant problem on its hands though. Let battle commence!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Looks like the same issue has struck my Yeti. After a thorough clean and de-tar I've found a blister on the lower part of the driver's door. I'll get some photos and see what the dealer has to say. The Yeti does have some stonechips, but these are confined to the front.

The car went in for its first service in December, and the dealer had a look at the blisters (two by then) and agreed they looked like the 'zinc inclusion' issue they had seen on others. It needed to go back for a proper assessment, which it did last month. I've just had a phone call from them to say Skoda UK have agreed the warranty work, and it goes in for that over half term.

I have noticed my car also has the dreaded blisters at only 13 months old, beneath the black plastic trim drivers and passenger doors, there are no sign of stone chips so it sounds like a similar problem. I will discuss with the dealer later this week to determine what to do. This could be problematic as the car is being traded in at the end of the month and they may try to delay a decision to get out of doing anything.

I have noticed my car also has the dreaded blisters at only 13 months old, beneath the black plastic trim drivers and passenger doors, there are no sign of stone chips so it sounds like a similar problem. I will discuss with the dealer later this week to determine what to do. This could be problematic as the car is being traded in at the end of the month and they may try to delay a decision to get out of doing anything.

I'm sorry to hear that - particularly at just 13 months old.  I hope you get it resolved, and I imagine you're pleased to be getting rid of it!  Worrying to hear that this problem seems still to be persisting as late as 2013, when they must by then have known of the problem.

I wonder if they've cracked it yet for the FL models - I'm guessing not!

• 3 weeks later...

I've just spotted a blister on the drivers door. It's about 6mm diameter. My car is a 59 plate so I'm not sure what skoda will say if I speak to them. They already resprayed the rear doors and fitted protective foils free of charge as a good will gesture last year. I've only had the car 14 months. Maybe I'll just trade up later this year.

I collected mine from the dealers on Friday after it had been into the local VW bodyshop to have the lower driver's door stripped back to the metal and repainted. Looks to be a good job so far, but if it's an issue with the galvanising it may crop up again :(

Given that this has been known about since 2010 (the post below was made in July 2010), shouldn't this have been dealt with by Skoda long, long ago?  You'd not expect it to exist on post-2010 cars, surely?

Warning to all Skoda Yeti owners .You're new pride and joy which cost you 15000- 23000 will have paint chips on both rear passenger doors within weeks and that's with mud guards dealer fitted, itcould be worse. The chipping is at the bottom of the rear doors. Skoda know there is problem because they have a film available as part of their protection pack for off roading. This film should have been put on all yeti's as standard to stop chipping in normal use.I have been to my dealer who was very helpful Thomson & Potter who by chance had brought in this film for another stone chip customer. Phoned Skoda service but told it was not a recognised problem come on Skoda who are you trying to kid ? . Skoda do the decent thing get the dealers to contact there customers and fit the film. Don't ruin you're good reputation for such a small item.

Given that this has been known about since 2010 (the post below was made in July 2010), shouldn't this have been dealt with by Skoda long, long ago?  You'd not expect it to exist on post-2010 cars, surely?

Warning to all a fewSkoda Yeti owners .You're new pride and joy which cost you 15000- 23000 will have paint chips on both rear passenger doors within weeks and that's with mud guards dealer fitted, itcould be worse. The chipping is at the bottom of the rear doors. Skoda know there is problem because they have a film available as part of their protection pack for off roading. This film should have been put on all yeti's as standard to stop chipping in normal use.I have been to my dealer who was very helpful Thomson & Potter who by chance had brought in this film for another stone chip customer. Phoned Skoda service but told it was not a recognised problem come on Skoda who are you trying to kid ? . Skoda do the decent thing get the dealers to contact there customers and fit the film. Don't ruin you're good reputation for such a small item.

Fixed that for you, out of a sample of two Yetis one a 2010 and one a 2013 I have had no paint faults so 100% of yetis in my experience have adequate paint. Internet posters will always believe their own experience is widespread and usually only a total model recall is indicated.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I had the lower passenger front door repainted several months ago, as a result of the aforementioned "blisters".

I came across these whilst cleaning the car this afternoon. Drivers door this time, but same general area.

RSCN1848_zps98099da6.jpg

RSCN1849_zps995106af.jpg

The VW main dealer who previously rectified the problem (under warranty) told me these are known as "zinc inclusions" and are considered a manufacturing defect.

I'm forwarding these pictures to my supplying dealer and will update, once I've heard back from them. Given the same problem was previously dealt with under warranty, I'm hopeful this will be dealt with on the same basis.

I'm wise enough to realise that problems tend to get reported more than positive things on forums but having read this thread from the start I'm now considering seriously my decision to get a Yeti.

For me, this paint problem is inexcusable. I understand about modern paints being water-based and softer etc. but as said have never witnessed or heard about other cars being affected in the same manner.

I've had a string of VW and Audis and apart from the inevitable stone chips on the front have never had a problem. Even after a few years the paint came up lovely after a wash etc. This was part of the reason for looking at Skoda, whilst looking for a cheaper car they still have the VAG connection.

It sounds as though the damage is being caused not so much by chippings but by smaller pieces of grit etc. being flung up by the front wheels (even with flaps) and then being sucked onto the side of the doors by the airflow. This is probably why it's not affecting other Skodas. Their paint is no different but the airflow along the sides is.

Whatever, it isn't acceptable to me as I'm looking for a car around 3 years old (which may have already been afflicted) and intend keeping it for a few years. I suppose that thick, clear protective film like 3M could be fitted but why should you have to?

I fancy a Yeti because of it's rugged, distinctive looks and as I said, the VAG connection, but I'm not so sure now. Bit disappointed really.

I'm wise enough to realise that problems tend to get reported more than positive things on forums but having read this thread from the start I'm now considering seriously my decision to get a Yeti.

For me, this paint problem is inexcusable. I understand about modern paints being water-based and softer etc. but as said have never witnessed or heard about other cars being affected in the same manner.

I've had a string of VW and Audis and apart from the inevitable stone chips on the front have never had a problem. Even after a few years the paint came up lovely after a wash etc. This was part of the reason for looking at Skoda, whilst looking for a cheaper car they still have the VAG connection.

It sounds as though the damage is being caused not so much by chippings but by smaller pieces of grit etc. being flung up by the front wheels (even with flaps) and then being sucked onto the side of the doors by the airflow. This is probably why it's not affecting other Skodas. Their paint is no different but the airflow along the sides is.

Whatever, it isn't acceptable to me as I'm looking for a car around 3 years old (which may have already been afflicted) and intend keeping it for a few years. I suppose that thick, clear protective film like 3M could be fitted but why should you have to?

I fancy a Yeti because of it's rugged, distinctive looks and as I said, the VAG connection, but I'm not so sure now. Bit disappointed really.

I think I'd take the same view if I were looking for a secondhand Yeti - though it didn't stop me from buying a new one, on the basis that the problem (whatever it was, and over whichever period) will have long ago been resolved.  Were I in the market for a secondhand one, I'd be trying to narrow down the period over which this paintwork problem existed - and so far I don't think it's been possible to do that.

Re paint damage.

Remember that typically on a car forum you will only generally hear from people who have a problem with their car and not from the thousands of satisfied customers. Therefore you get a very biased opinion. 

It does appear that there might be a small problem with these zinc inclusions but from most of the reports on here it does appear to be mainly on the metallic finished cars and interestingly a lot are at the brown end of the spectrum.

It certainly won't stop me buying another Yeti.

• Like 3

Re paint damage.

Remember that typically on a car forum you will only generally hear from people who have a problem with their car and not from the thousands of satisfied customers. Therefore you get a very biased opinion. 

It does appear that there might be a small problem with these zinc inclusions but from most of the reports on here it does appear to be mainly on the metallic finished cars and interestingly a lot are at the brown end of the spectrum.

It certainly won't stop me buying another Yeti.

Thanks, but from my first sentence I think I understand that. :)

But it does seem that there are quite a few forum members who have experienced a problem and from that it can be deduced that quite a few owners who are not forum members (i.e. the majority of owners) have also suffered this problem. 

Interesting what you say about metallics though. One poster did ask if certain colours were affected and I don't think got an answer as I was going to ask if solid colours were more prone (because of not having a lacquer) from stone/grit damage - I take it that solid colours aren't lacquered on Skodas? I was after a metallic, not brown though; grey, silver or light blue probably. 

If I do still go for one (and I'd like to) it will be from a main dealer and I shall be asking if the car has been repainted and if so, when, if they have the information. If they don't, I will be having a very, very close look at it!

Just to be clear the blisters/zinc inclusions aren't the result of stone chip damage, but occur under the paintwork and rupture the paint from the inside. Whilst the front, bonnet & leading edge of the roof have stone chips (more so than my old Octy that had 3x the mileage) there are none on the sides. So far there are no signs of the blisters coming back on the driver's door, and nothing starting on the other doors.

As an aside the dealer than put mine through for the warranty work said he'd had seen similar on other VAG cars, not just the Yeti. Fortunate for me as I didn't need to argue for getting them dealt with.

Thanks dbg.

I know that modern paints don't help but it's a real pity that we have to worry/have problems with paint and corrosion in this day and age. I thought those days had long gone!

As we know early Fiats had a bad reputation but then really came good by galvanising and using plastic parts/panels. We've had a Fiat of some sort in the family for years - I've looked at them but nothing really suits my needs and as I've said given my previous VAG cars am inclined to stick with them, hence fancying a Skoda. My Stilo is 11 years old and despite a number of stone chips has no corrosion and the paint looks very good.

Hi all

Thought I would share my experience with paint chipping.

My Yeti is 2010 '10' Reg and the paintwork is in really good condition. There are a handful of chips on the leading edge of the bonnet and one on a door mirror but nothing too odd for a four year old car. Certainly no signs of zinc/galvanisation problems or rust bubbles. There is some speckling ahead of the rear arches but very small and none through the primer. This is with no mudflaps or foil protection. I might get foils at some point but TBH it's not that bad and is amlost invisible when the car has been waxed.

The colour is Steel Grey metallic BTW.

Cheers

Rog

I had the lower passenger front door repainted several months ago, as a result of the aforementioned "blisters".

I came across these whilst cleaning the car this afternoon. Drivers door this time, but same general area.

RSCN1848_zps98099da6.jpg

RSCN1849_zps995106af.jpg

The VW main dealer who previously rectified the problem (under warranty) told me these are known as "zinc inclusions" and are considered a manufacturing defect.

I'm forwarding these pictures to my supplying dealer and will update, once I've heard back from them. Given the same problem was previously dealt with under warranty, I'm hopeful this will be dealt with on the same basis.

Local dealer (Rainworth's) agrees this is the same problem as before and plans to arrange for another door re-spray, under warranty.

The local VW main dealer carries out all such warranty jobs and as such I'll probably be spending a few days in a base model Polo :thumbdown:

The local VW main dealer carries out all such warranty jobs and as such I'll probably be spending a few days in a base model Polo :thumbdown:

Lucky you. I will be without a car for 4-5 days, as my dealer won't lend me a car :devil:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Picked up the Yeti from the workshop today. 4 doors resprayed and vertical rubber lips removed.
Now only problem is the paintjob is poorly done. A spot with too thin pigmented layer on one door and dust in the paint on all 4 doors. And a few other paint defects.
Should one accept this from the VAG body/paintshop? They are charging Skoda NOK 24.000,- (ca £ 2330,-) for the job.