How much oil?

Hello, i can find some answers on this but i would like a definitive please? Can someone advise how much oil my bxe engine takes when doing a change, i dont want to order 4 L of oil to find i need 5... As ever your help is appreciated!

Thank you,

1.9 ltr. / 77 kW TDi PD EU4, EU3 - VW505 01 - 3.8 litres*

1.9 ltr. / 77 kW TDi PD DPF EU4 - VW507 00 - 4.3 litres*

*Oil capacity including oil filter capacity.

I know that the ordinary 1.9 TDi engines in the Octavia do not have a DPF, but I know that the 2.0 litre engine (that doesn't have a DPF on normal Octavia's) does have a DPF when it is fitted in the 4x4 and Scout versions.

Either way, if a DPF is fitted then its 4.3 litres, without the DPF its only 3.8 litres.

• Like 1

Thanks for that, I can see that it has always been run on 507 oil until its last service in December 2012 (just before i bought it) when it went onto 505, i was going to go back to 507 as it has a done a few miles (94k now and counting) and thought it might help continue its long life (is there really that much difference???). I was worried that if i bought just 4 litres I wouldnt have enough, as I was going to go for Castrol Edge thats on offer from euro car parts.

thanks for the reply

Some interesting info here:

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-742-vw-engine-oil.aspx

505 is for (non DPF) fixed service intervals (10,000 miles / 12 months - whichever is reached first).

507 is long life (low ash too - for DPF engines) and is used on the variable service intervals (upto 20,000 miles / 2 years - the car decides).

I have to use 507 regardless of the frequency of the service intervals as my Octavia has a DPF, however even if it didn't I'd still use 507 as it's the better oil.

If you intend to keep the car for quite some time then use 507 and swap it out every 12 months.

• Like 1

Buy 5 litres even if you needed less than 4 for the change. Cheaper to buy 5 and have a litre left to use for top ups in between services,than buy 4 and then have to get another 1 litre bottle for top ups.

I've just bought some Halfords 5W 30 fully synthetic oil today. Meets the VW 507.00 spec.

£30.99 reduced from £42.99, 5 litres too.

I tried to sign-up to a trade account for a further discount but they wanted to see proof I was in the trade :giggle:

• 1 year later...

Just done an oil change on the car.

I'm now doubting myself as to how much oil I put in.

I put 4.3 litres in.

The handbook just states 4.5 litres and doesn't specify DPF/Non DPF.

My car doesn't have a DPF so how much oil should I have out in?

It's a 1.9 BXE.

Phil

Edited by Phil-E

Just done an oil change on the car.

I'm now doubting myself as to how much oil I put in.

I put 4.3 litres in.

The handbook just states 4.5 litres and doesn't specify DPF/Non DPF.

My car doesn't have a DPF so how much oil should I have out in?

It's a 1.9 BXE.

Phil

As long as it is showing on the dip stick between Min and Max I wouldn't worry. 

You never get all the oil out during a change, and to have 0.2 Litres of residual oil in the engine after a change is pretty good.  

Ok... so I checked and it was way above the max!

I've taken out around 250ml.

It's now bang on the top of the dipstick.

I looked at the 5l bottle of oil I used. There was about 600-700ml left in there.

Phil

Yeah, never fill by the book figures after an oil change! 

You never actually get all the oil out when you remove the sump plug. The amount of oil left in varies depending on make/model of car and angle of your driveway etc. On some cars I have owned there is nearly a litre of oil that hasn't come out during draining. 

On the 2.0 TDI PD, you get about 0.3 litres out of the oil cooler if you stick an oil extraction pump down there via the open oil filter housing. I think the 1.9 has a similar arrangement.  

Yup. I now know this first hand!

Luckily the road outside my house is dead flat so I parked it there to check the oil and used my extraction tool to remove the excess removing a bit at a time and re-checking. The went for another drive, left it a few minutes then re-checked again.

On the 2.0 TDI PD, you get about 0.3 litres out of the oil cooler if you stick an oil extraction pump down there via the open oil filter housing. I think the 1.9 has a similar arrangement.  

Yes the same on the 1.9. You can stick the pipe right down into the filter housing and it sucked loads out of there.

Phil