Rear caliper springs

Hi guys, got the part number for the rear caliper springs off an Audi A3 , just wondering if I need to go to an Audi dealer or can I go to say a skoda or vw dealer and give them the part number? As there isn't an Audi dealer close to where I live, thanks.

You should've paid that for 2!

Damn :( I'll get the Vaseline out! Lol

I even tried the Skoda dealer and he said £1.90 each but something about postage & packaging. The nearest TPS is like 20 miles away too so I thought works put easier to get them online.

Do you just literally fit these on? Or is it best to say clean the rear brakes up before hand?

Well, I'd reckon that if you are considering doing this, and winter conditions will have messed up all moving parts "down there", then the only answer to your question is, remove calliper mounting bolts and proceed as you would if replacing the rear pads - ie clean callipers, pads, calliper mounting brackets, fully retract pistons, maybe slacken off the cable "a bit" until the reassembled bits including springs have fully readjusted, apply a small amount of mechanical brake lubricant to all metal to metal touching points and reassemble including the new springs. Then make sure that you go through the correct procedure to get the pistons back out to where they should be, after going for a run and using the handbrake a few times, have a look at where the handbrake levers are when the handbrake is off, they should be " just" on the stops or "just" off them - adjust the handbrake cable to correct this if necessary, job done!

What I've written will mean that your handbrake should now be working as it should be, just fitting the springs will not.

On the other hand, if you just want to have these springs in the car, just dump them in the boot!

Personally, I'd always buy the original Sharan/Alhambra/Galaxy springs as they do the job "just right"!

Edited by rum4mo
  • Like 1

Well, I'd reckon that if you are considering doing this, and winter conditions will have messed up all moving parts "down there", then the only answer to your question is, remove calliper mounting bolts and proceed as you would if replacing the rear pads - ie clean callipers, pads, calliper mounting brackets, fully retract pistons, maybe slacken off the cable "a bit" until the reassembled bits including springs have fully readjusted, apply a small amount of mechanical brake lubricant to all metal to metal touching points and reassemble including the new springs. Then make sure that you go through the correct procedure to get the pistons back out to where they should be, after going for a run and using the handbrake a few times, have a look at where the handbrake levers are when the handbrake is off, they should be " just" on the stops or "just" off them - adjust the handbrake cable to correct this if necessary, job done!

What I've written will mean that your handbrake should now be working as it should be, just fitting the springs will not.

On the other hand, if you just want to have these springs in the car, just dump them in the boot!

Personally, I'd always buy the original Sharan/Alhambra/Galaxy springs as they do the job "just right"!

so when you retract the pistons is there a certain distance they need to go back or is it all the way? And also is there a certain place you should set them back to after the assembly? How do you know what this is? Thanks

I fitted some of these the other week and they seem too soft/weak to do anything.

I could lean under the car and fit them with my fingers, I was expecting to have to use pliers or something.

Is that normal?

If so them I fail to see how they are of any use as the pressure they put on is miniscule.

so when you retract the pistons is there a certain distance they need to go back or is it all the way? And also is there a certain place you should set them back to after the assembly? How do you know what this is? Thanks

Maybe get a copy of the correct Haynes book as it will keep you right. In short, the pistons get retracted until they don't move back in any more. Getting them, or the pads, back to the correct position is done by carrying out an easy procedure, ie footbrake and handbrake in a certain order, again Haynes will keep you right.

I picked up a set of caliper return springs for my pd100 today. I went for the 7H0 ones which are plenty strong enough for the smaller calipers IMO. They're also a better fit than the other springs I've seen which seem to overshoot the lever nut. These were easily fitted without tools, cable ties or jacking the car.

2013-04-09163105_zpsaa83d984.jpg

The part numbers have changed again, now they're:

7H0 615 295 A

7H0 615 296

I picked up a set of caliper return springs for my pd100 today. I went for the 7H0 ones which are plenty strong enough for the smaller calipers IMO. They're also a better fit than the other springs I've seen which seem to overshoot the lever nut. These were easily fitted without tools, cable ties or jacking the car.

2013-04-09163105_zpsaa83d984.jpg

The part numbers have changed again, now they're:

7H0 615 295 A

7H0 615 296

did you get these from a skoda or vw dealer ?

Forgot to mention, VW. I imagine a Skoda dealer would produce the same goods with the same part nos

Apparently 7H0 615 295 without the letter A is now a flat brake pad return spring which costs about £11 on its own.

£2.09 + VAT each

Edited by Ben90