Extended Warranty

ESP is only a £300 repair now due to there being a repair kit.

Less than that if you do a bit of leg work. Just had mine done £165 for the part and 2hr labor.

My car is just about 6yr old. No warranty and say £300 of work done (ESP is the only thing to have gone wrong that would be covered) in that time since the warranty expired.

I figure I'm £600 up still.

Took the extended warranty for peace of mind as Im a high mile driver. About to test it next week, Car has a leak in the Turbo area but being a 4x4 they have to take the transfer box off ( 3.5 Hours) , Im praying its not just a Gasket as Im guessing thats not covered

This is an area I'm quite concerned over as well.

The "peace of mind" argument is very valid, yet the reason warranty/insurance companies exist is to make money - house always wins.

It's just a gamble I guess. Financially speaking, by taking out a warranty you're placing a bet with the insurance company that you'll need repairs greater than the value of the policy.

Can't get away from the thought that you just know those thieving b***ards will wriggle out of a claim somehow!

Took the extended warranty for peace of mind as Im a high mile driver. About to test it next week, Car has a leak in the Turbo area but being a 4x4 they have to take the transfer box off ( 3.5 Hours) , Im praying its not just a Gasket as Im guessing thats not covered

So the Turbos terminally ill, pain now as I have to wait for a week for the assesor to come out, feel a call to Skoda coming on !

Edited by Stuart_J

So the Turbos terminally ill, pain now as I have to wait for a week for the assesor to come out, feel a call to Skoda coming on !

Well no issues with the warranty, bill 1671.89, thats a lot more than the warranty cost, Im not paying & still18 months warranty left :sun:

I HAD the same dilema. I am a 30-35k a year person, so actually was out of warranty within 2 years.

I was not offered a warranty by skoda as when I bought the vehicle they only went up to 5 years with 80k so I would only have been covered for about 6 months!!

I took out a warranty with warranty direct, and they have been brilliant. I have had to claim twice in quick succession. to save money I went for the 'local dealer' rate, but my skoda dealer is nearly twice the price. on BOTH jobs the skoda dealer lowered their invoice amount to meet the warranty company hourly rate.

this is one of the reasons i have gone back to the same dealer to buy my citigo, AND I will continue getting my car serviced there as they know it, and me.

So far, Water Pump and EGR valve. Warranty cost about £600 and I have already claimed that.

only upside so far is that when they did the water pump, they did the timing belt (at 80k) and I only had to pay the parts, not labour (warranty company woudl not pay for the timing belt (: )

if you are a high mileage driver I woudl make sure you have a warranty.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi there, just resurrecting this post as its basically what I want to ask about.

My Octavia II VRS manual is out of warranty this month, 3 years 19k on the clock, and I've been checking out what Skoda offer in terms of extending the warranty at this stage.

https://www.skoda-extendedwarranty.co.uk/VWFS/Vehdets.aspx

As advised by the dealer I've found the above link which you can doma quote on to get the extension direct from Skoda. Now i ve done a quote for the cover I would like, all components, 10k mileage, no excess. It comes out at just over 450 quid for 12 months cover, now am I being tight or is that a bit steep, I know there is the potential that something big could go but is that likely on a car of this age and mileage, if that was the cost for 24 months I'd be all over it.

Your thoughts?

I have a pay monthly warranty with warranty wise, set my cover to £2k single repair limit, with labour rates of £75 per hour.

I've had it since the skoda 3 yr warranty expired in March 2015, and so far claimed once for a lambda sensor, cost of approx £250.

I also have set an excess of £100 

My Mileage was around 65k when taking it out, currently on 79k, so cover was a bit more expensive.

I am paying £35 per month on a rolling monthly basis.

Just a note, gaskets (except cylinder head) not covered, as found out recently having to pay £110 to skoda for a DPF gasket & clamp.

As i do 25k a year and this my car for work, then I need the peace of mind knowing I won't have major repair bills, and also can get hire cars costs reimbursed if needed.

On that note, I also extended the skoda assist, and if you break down and car is out of action, they will provide a hire car for 48 hours.

I took out a Skoda-approved Car Care Plan 2 year extended warranty when my 2010 Octavia II 1.8TSI 4X4 Estate's manufacturer's warranty came to an end. I did this as I was concerned about timing chain tensioner failure. In the event the car sufferered rear diff failure- it seized - and Car Care Plan covered the xost of replacing the entire rear transmission including the Haldex, and then the cost of replacing a front wheel bearing.

When I replaced that Octavia with a Yeti 1.2TSI last March, I played safe and took out the optional 5 year extended warranty.

If nothing else, at least get AA cover and add `BRC`....( Breakdown repair cover ) ..it cost approx £100 / year and covers most major components up to £500 payout 5x /year inc parts & labor just a £ 35 excess. Granted its not an extended warranty but a lot better than `no warranty` ...

Hmmm, I know of someone who had this. The AA put his car into a garage who part dismantled the engine and then gave up. They then demanded money to release the vehicle.

The last I heard it was all in the hands of lawyers who I think retrieved something from the situation. It was utterly unsatisfactory as an experience, though. 

It wasn't a Skoda.