Temperature Warning Light (Again)

coupe

I know this has been covered some times but water temperature warning light comes on and beeps three times first thing in the morning. Changed expansion bottle and this cured it for about three weeks then it came back. Temperature gauge climbs slowly to middle point indicating correct temparture. Checked:-

1. Water level - correct just below max mark

2. Fuses ontop of battery (which I understand includes radiator fan) all ok

3. Water tempertaure fine even after a long run (100miles). Light goes out after about 10 mins driving if ignition switched off and on

Noticed the fan does not seem to come on after stopping car when warm but may just not be getting hot enough and the Temperature gauge is at normal in the middle.

What should I check next or is it a trip to the garage?

Did post this tagging onto another thread but I think it got lost?

Thanks for any help.

Thanks for responding. Coolant last changed at annual service about 8 months ago. No additives. Could contaminated coolant cause the light to come on initially and then off when warm?

When you say no additives were added do you mean you just added the normal mixed ratio of water and coolant? Also I had this issue and topped the level just above the max line - turns out when I replaced the bottle it must be sitting in a slightly non-oem position as it resolved the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes normal ratio of coolant from Halfrauds and Water mix. Are you saying if I fill it just above the max line this will sort it out or do I have to adjust the bottle position in some way? Many thanks for taking the time to respond.

"Also I had this issue and topped the level just above the max line "

This cured mine as well - put in less than half a small tea cup before Christmas as a tide over until I got around to having a proper look. No problem since so haven't bothered doing any more. Coolant now sits just on top of "max" mark.

Check the bunch of wires underneath the vacume box near the coolant tank. A monkey kept leaning on mine when it went in for some suspension work and I had the same warning light and sound.

After searching, I found this

null_zps7cf8098d.jpg

Worth a check?!

• 1 month later...

Still have this problem and before booking into Garage would like any final ideas. Changed water bottle, changed radiator (had a very small leak bottom nearside corner). Removed expansion bottle and put circuit across contacts. It gets a reading when the bottle is only about 1/3rd full and retested several times so I assume water bottle is doing it's thing. i.e. when empty no circuit, when 1/3rd full or over circuit made so assuming bottle is doing the correct thing. Also if I short the circuit on the connector which connects to the bottle the light stays off! After replacing radiator, did a flush and then refilled with approx. 3 litres of G13 (supersedes G12 apparently?). Stayed off for about a 1/2 mile then came back on all the time when starting. Water level rechecked, wiring rechecked. Water temperature gets to half way and fan comes on when left standing after about 8-10 mins, goes off for about 30 secs comes on for about 30 secs and repeats so assume fine. Everything seems ok except for this darned light at start and then the light stays on. Please any final suggestions. Don't like too think the dealer wins goes against my grain ;-)

Edited by coupe

Are there any fault codes listed if there are what are they, its possible a fault code was listed now its fixed might have to clear the fault could be a faulty sender unit.

Thanks for the response. I assume fault codes I'll need diagnostics attached which I haven't got so trip to stealer. Any easy way of testing the sensor?

• 1 month later...

Just to round this up. Garage (local not Skoda) said in their opinion still a problem with the expansion tank and like me they shorted it out to prove it wasn't doing as it should and I should take bottle back. Didn't keep receipt and didn't think garage would believe bottle still not working so bought another off another Skoda dealer (£16.00ish) with VAT. Now nearly after a month no problems. So fingers crossed was a faulty new bottle (Skoda part as well!). Incidentally managed to lose one of the double ended retaining bolts and nobody had one so had to order it. Be warned as I searched high and low for it to no avail.