Retrofit Hill Hold Control

Hi all,

Ive got a nice shiny new(ish) Octy VRS CR DSG estate now which has replaced my old Leon Se and Im loving loving just about everything about it but there are 2 things I miss from my old car.

1st is electrically folding mirrors, but I've had a look and it looks like there is no chance of upgrading this.

2nd is hill hold, which I'm especially missing now that I don't have a clutch pedal. I know its a long shot but I don't suppose this is just a software option that can be enabled?

Thanks in advance for any info on this.

Id like to know about the Hill Hold too; my old Fabia vRS had it and I really miss it as my car does have a tendency to roll forward particularly when facing down a slope.

Id be surprised if the car didnt already have the hardware to do it particularly the later cars but it might not be as simple as a coding change.

I think its a difference in the abs module or at least running a wire from there to I presume the central electrical module. When I fitted my tpms I had to connect to pin41 of my abs module which does have hill hold whereas it was pin27 if no hill hold. My abs module is numbered 1k0 517 614 ac and supports hill hold if it helps.

Adam

Are you sure you don't have hill hold? I thought all DSG cars had it as standard - my 2010 Elegance does. Thing is, I find it works so well that I just don't notice it!

Try this:

Stop on the footbrake facing up hill in D. Take your foot off the brake pedal then put it straight back on.

If you have hill hold the pedal will be absolutely rock hard.

It only works to stop you rolling against the direction of your selected gear. So pointing up hill in D or S it will stop you rolling back, pointing up hill in R and it won't act. Likewise pointing downhill in D or S if you take your foot off the brake you roll forward straight away but in R the hillhold acts.

Could hold it on left foot braking, but thats kinda bad practice and I dont want to get used to doing that. Ive definitely not got it, had it on the old car so know exactly what it would feel like.

It only seems to be standard on elegance and maybe a few others like scout but with it being so common amongst VAG cars Im hoping that its hidden somewhere.

Wheres the best/easiest place to find a man with VCDS near Edinburgh? Local garages? Thanks Eddie.

Could hold it on left foot braking, but thats kinda bad practice and I dont want to get used to doing that. Ive definitely not got it, had it on the old car so know exactly what it would feel like.

It only seems to be standard on elegance and maybe a few others like scout but with it being so common amongst VAG cars Im hoping that its hidden somewhere.

Wheres the best/easiest place to find a man with VCDS near Edinburgh? Local garages? Thanks Eddie.

Let us know if its just a coding thing; id be suprised if a late vRS couldnt be made to do it easily given it has ESP and XDS already; im sure the inclination sensors are part of the DSG system too as there must be something to assist the gearbox electronics in recognising gradients to allow appropriate downshifts on hills; i have to go down a really steep gradient 40 limit hill (Rememham Hill outside Henley) quite often and the car downshifts into 3rd and revs its nuts off to prevent coasting.

So i presume from the previous posts that hill assist can be enabled on the 2012/3 Blacklines. I was suprised it was,nt fitted as it had been on my 2011 Fabia 1.2 DSG elegance. Why do Skoda do this?

Stop on hill, select " N " hand brake on, foot off brake, when one requires to move select " D " , slight pressure on accelerator and release hand brake.

Simples :yes:

But to move from N to D you have to have your foot on the footbrake. Hill hold covers that brief instant as you move your foot from brake to throttle pedal.

Yes that makes sense 7spd fabia hill hold octavias no hill hold although if im no mistaken its standard on the lauren+clement so not so sure you are right.??????

Yes that makes sense 7spd fabia hill hold octavias no hill hold although if im no mistaken its standard on the lauren+clement so not so sure you are right.??????

The 1.4 and 1.8 TSi octavias have the 7spd with hill hold. The 140 & 170 2.0 diesels and the 2.0TSi have the 6spd is all I was thinking

I've got 2 feet

AH! But you did specifically say "foot off brake" .

I don't understand why applying the handbrake doesn't disengage the clutch. Nearly found out the hard way on day 1 after driving my brand new car home from the dealers, onto steep drive, applied handbrake, took foot off brake while still in D - lurched forward, missed garage door by inches...

So the truth is out there, can this function be enabled on a six speed dsg vrs or not. Is there anybody on this forum has had it done/or enquired about it being done with SKODA.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a6/hill-hod-disable-vw.htm

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4982057-Enabling-Hill-Hold-Control-VW-EOS-MY-2009

It appears it is available on most combinations of transmission and engines across the VAG range. It should be a codeable option on the MK60 ABS unit so there is a couple of articles above that may help

That's what the handbrake is for.

Yes on a manual where YOU control the clutch. On DSG as soon as you release the footbrake the clutch engages and it starts to pull against the handbrake. Lot of good that will do clutches and gearbox!

Not only does hill hold prevent creep but also keeps the clutch disengaged.

I have a vRS DSG Octavia (2011) and I do not have hill hold control.

2012 TSI DSG here, I have hill hold. I've never driven a DSG without it and I can't imagine how that would work out. Left foot braking when doing hill starts?

Yes on a manual where YOU control the clutch. On DSG as soon as you release the footbrake the clutch engages and it starts to pull against the handbrake. Lot of good that will do clutches and gearbox!

I don't think hill hold would be much use to me on a manual car since I know how to drive. :D;) I always just hold the car with the clutch during the split second it takes me to move my right foot from the brake to the accelerator. I never use the handbrake.

Hill hold doesn't "keep the clutch disengaged" or "prevent creep" imo. Those are different things. What it does is keep the car from rolling back during the moment after I take my foot off the brake, before the automated clutch has finished figuring out what to do. What happens next is exactly what I do with my feet when I'm in a manual car. The clutch starts to bite, the brake is released and some throttle is applied, and the clutch is completely engaged to get the car moving. The DSG can't read my thoughts, so it can't very well start slipping the clutch before I let go of the brake. That's why hill hold is needed. :)

Edited by Perc

Hill hold has bugger all to do with the clutch. It is a function of the ABS module and all it does is keep the brakes on for a brief period whilst you juggle the pedals. It's only really necessary on a manual.

It only functions on gradients of 5% or more.

Hill hold has bugger all to do with the clutch. It is a function of the ABS module and all it does is keep the brakes on for a brief period whilst you juggle the pedals. It's only really necessary on a manual.

Uh, what? I can't really agree with you here. I don't need hill hold in a manual transmission car because I can use the clutch to hold the car while I move my right foot from the brake to the accelerator.

A DSG on the other hand obviously doesn't have a clutch pedal, and the automated clutch needs a second to figure things out after I release the brake. I would roll freely into whatever was behind me if the ABS wasn't there to hold the brakes during that second, without any means of stopping it short of using the handbrake lever.

You have a different (wet DSG6) gearbox than I do, so hill hold might not be as necessary in your case. I know it absolutely is in mine. No way I'd want a DSG7 without it.