1.2 Tsi petrol - good mpg?

I just got 51.6 out of my 105 PS Rapid, which isn't far off the official combined cycle at all. I reckon the biggest variable (other than driving style) is the local terrain.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

The rapid has the updated 1.2 tsi than the Fabia so less co2 and better mpg

It might be more refined/tweaked maybe but I'm pretty sure it's not the ea211 generation engine. Engine code CBZB.

It might be more refined/tweaked maybe but I'm pretty sure it's not the ea211 generation engine. Engine code CBZB.

Yes sorry they do two 1.2 tsi,s one of them greentech

Personally I can get a Leon with that engine to do 50mpg with no bother with a mix of driving. The Fabia is very easy to get into the mid-50s if you have the first clue about driving efficiently - and I don't mean slowly.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Personally I can get a Leon with that engine to do 50mpg with no bother with a mix of driving. The Fabia is very easy to get into the mid-50s if you have the first clue about driving efficiently - and I don't mean slowly.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

could you then share that wisdom with the rest of people here?

My absolute lowest fuel consumption is about 55mpg but then i was driving more carefully than my grandparents...

Skickat från min GT-I9100 via Tapatalk 2

I think the key is getting up to speed fairly swiftly and reading the road ahead.

The shape of the car helps - just look at the figures for the Rapid, Yeti and Fabia with the se engine!

• 1 year later...

Crusie control wont help. As your best mpg can be achieved when not using the thottle. The cruise control will always use some thottle

Simply not true.  Cruise control will only use throttle when it has to and can make far more subtle adjustments than you can.

The only thing cruise control doesn't know is when you are approaching the top of a hill or a roundbout that it needs to ease off as it cannot see what you can. 

Cheers

Rog

• Like 1

I have a 64 plate monte black edition (105) and it constantly returns 38mpg.

Miles away from the book figures which I know are perfect test condition figures but I was hoping for a little more returns. Wish I kept my octy vrs. Would do 34mpg and was a lot more fun.

The fabia is a nice car don't get me wrong. But I'll be changing it as soon as I can.

I have a 64 plate monte black edition (105) and it constantly returns 38mpg.

Miles away from the book figures which I know are perfect test condition figures but I was hoping for a little more returns. Wish I kept my octy vrs. Would do 34mpg and was a lot more fun.

The fabia is a nice car don't get me wrong. But I'll be changing it as soon as I can.

Funny, I have a 64 monte black edition and the worst MPG I ever get is in the low 40's and thats will air-con permanently on. Have had 55 MPG on a relaxed drive before. I only have about 1,500 miles on the clock, so things are still loosening up and fuel effeciency might hopefully even get a bit better.

Funny, I have a 64 monte black edition and the worst MPG I ever get is in the low 40's and thats will air-con permanently on. Have had 55 MPG on a relaxed drive before. I only have about 1,500 miles on the clock, so things are still loosening up and fuel effeciency might hopefully even get a bit better.

Mine is the estate and has about 3.5k on it. Been back to the dealers twice about it. Once they got 40mpg and said that it will get better with miles. The next time they got 44mpg and said that's what it'll do.

Even with the tyres pumped up and driving like miss daisy I still can't get their claimed 44mpg.

So I told the dealer I wanted to be out of it asap and in something that does 38mpg but with a lot more power.

Looks like I'm stuck with it for now.

I knew the pcp was a bad idea.

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx

The Official figures can have little to do with the real world, but some can better the figures the test over a few miles on rollers achieve.

The economy can improve with an Oil change, or in more than 3,500 miles.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Having bought a number of vag cars including 4 Skodas, I've come to the conclusion that its pot luck whether you get an economical example or a thirsty example. For instance our 09 fabia 1.2 htp 70ps has been terrible from day one and after 6 years is not much better. Ive noticed the engine in that car is tilted 10 - 15 degree across the bay. Bad installation I reckon.

In contrast, our 13 fabia 1.2 tsi has been pretty good, can easily do 50mpg unless in a real hurry. Our octavia 1.2tsi is so so, a little disapponting.

One thing is that I only noticed a small improvement from new to fully run in, no more than 5-10% at the most in every case.

So, I think its down to how carefully its put together, how well the geometry is set up and how tight the tooling is when the engine is built plus a bit of luck.

Had two Fabia 1.2 TSI 86 and not got better than an average of 44/45 mpg out of either of them. The Spaceback however with that bit more power and 6 speed box is much closer to 50 mpg and only dips if I do a lot of short local trips rather than the usual 36 mile each way commute.

TP

As mentioned nearly a year ago in the thread I was amazed how good mpg I could get out of the Fabia 2 VRS if treated very gently ie over 600 miles from a vented tankful, more than I could get out of our 1.2 HTP Fabia probably, and that I was thinking of getting a Skoda with a 1.2TSI engine but probably a Rapid 1.2 TSI due to the deals that were on (ie £2K off) and the big boot and bigger fuel tank.

Well I went completely left field and actuallly got a Dacia Logan and very pleased I made that choice.  Fuel consumption in the first 1,000 miles, 58 mpg with the 90 hp TCE petrol engine (so equivalent to the 86 hp 1.2 TSI and not the 105 hp TSI but like the two 1.2 TSI engines are both very good anyways).

So well chuffed with the mpg but then comparing that the Logan (Laureate with Media-Nav ie phone, satnav, cruise control etc)  cost £10K and I was looking at more like £13K for the Skoda/SEAT.

Shows, like Ford with their 1 litre ecoboost, you only need 3 cylinders and 1 litre to provide 55-65 mpg and enough perfromance to keep up with traffic. 

Sooner Skoda get the one litre 3 cylinder, 95 hp engine from the VAG parts bin the better for all concerning fuel consumption, emissions etc IMO. 

I stopped checking MPG long ago as the figures everyone posts when taken as a whole simply don't add up. I suppose there are too many factors such as speed, environment, weight, driving style, tyre pressures, type of fuel used etc, etc, 

I just yesterday completed a 140 mile round trip on a 'full' tank and have used about 1/3rd of a tank in doing so and that's about as detailed as my MPG figures get these days.

I do know that my 1.2 HTP (70) manual was quite obviously not as economical to run as my 1.2 Tsi (105) DSG (based on visits to the filling station) and was especially thirsty on a motorway journey but it was a great little run about.

Looking at the age of this thread it does seem the MPG debate will always be something to discuss and it will always be a 'matter of opinion'. My view is that the Fabia 1.2 Tsi will certainly hold it's own when comparing MPG with similar sized engines, butas I say it's just my view ;)

• Like 1

I stopped checking MPG long ago as the figures everyone posts when taken as a whole simply don't add up. I suppose there are too many factors such as speed, environment, weight, driving style, tyre pressures, type of fuel used etc, etc,   I just yesterday completed a 140 mile round trip on a 'full' tank and have used about 1/3rd of a tank in doing so and that's about as detailed as my MPG figures get these days.

I do know that my 1.2 HTP (70) manual was quite obviously not as economical to run as my 1.2 Tsi (105) DSG (based on visits to the filling station) and was especially thirsty on a motorway journey but it was a great little run about.

Looking at the age of this thread it does seem the MPG debate will always be something to discuss and it will always be a 'matter of opinion'. My view is that the Fabia 1.2 Tsi will certainly hold it's own when comparing MPG with similar sized engines, butas I say it's just my view ;)

I think the issue for many is that the car is used for work purposes and one is often paid, what is sometimes called, the HMRC or Treasury rate for mileage ie 45p a mile for the first 10K mies in the tax year and then 25p a mile and it has been this rate for around two decades.   So, are they are several useful data tables issues on running cost per mile, if you have a car that costs 40p a miles say you probably are OK for the frist 10K and then out of pocket.

These thread give an insight to what people do get in mpg terms and you are absolutely right that, if you live in the SE of England ans send much time in traffic you will tend to get worse MPG than if you live in the West or North of GB and can cruise rather than stop-start and get much closer to manufacturer's figures.

Honest John to a True MPG thread like Wharcar does.  

Skoda Fabia's reported get 83% of the manufacturer's figures http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/skoda

Rapids about 90%,

Dacia Logan also 90%

Ford Fiesta 70%  (ouch) and quite a few other big makes.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/sector/SM

"Shows, like Ford with their 1 litre ecoboost, you only need 3 cylinders and 1 litre to provide 55-65 mpg and enough perfromance to keep up with traffic. 

Sooner Skoda get the one litre 3 cylinder, 95 hp engine from the VAG parts bin the better for all concerning fuel consumption, emissions etc IMO." 

I think that VW are just about to dump the 1.2TSI 110 from the Polo line up, and use the 1.0TSI 110 instead, if the order for wife's new Polo does not get into build by week 24 or 26, then we will not be getting the 1.2, and yes it will be mainly down to emissions but I'd guess the South American built 3 cylinder 1.0 will be cheaper to build as well.

The ecoboost engine is really something good. I own the 99bhp version but have also had a good play in the 123bhp engined car. Both are nippy and great on fuel consumption. I've got the zetec spec and although it's nippy (not fast) it's just not fun! I choose my Monte everytime

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I stopped checking MPG long ago as the figures everyone posts when taken as a whole simply don't add up. I suppose there are too many factors such as speed, environment, weight, driving style, tyre pressures, type of fuel used etc, etc,

I just yesterday completed a 140 mile round trip on a 'full' tank and have used about 1/3rd of a tank in doing so and that's about as detailed as my MPG figures get these days.

But the HTP motorway economy depends on the gearbox fitted.

Mines got the later higher ratio 5th gear, cruises at 3000rpm at 70 and returns 50mpg doing that.

Mums older polo with the Htp engine wont do anything like that

But the HTP motorway economy depends on the gearbox fitted.

Mines got the later higher ratio 5th gear, cruises at 3000rpm at 70 and returns 50mpg doing that.

Mums older polo with the Htp engine wont do anything like that

Yes I fell for that before :giggle:  I forgot the newer 1.2 with the different gear ratios are far more economical. Mine, which I referred to though, was an 07 and suffered greatly at motorway speeds.

• Like 1

We've got a 10 plate 1.2TSi with 77k on the clock (76k when we got it) and this weekend was the first long journey we've taken it on. First two fillups when we got it was 39MPG inc lots of town driving and this weekend a 400 mile roundtrip netted us 44MPG. 2 adults, 2 children and a boot full. I was very pleased with that as it was a mix of 60% motorway and rest small country lanes. Its also wearing Evergreen and Zeta tyres  :thumbdown:  :dull:  that are droney and horribly lacking in confidence and both E rated....

Yes I fell for that before :giggle: I forgot the newer 1.2 with the different gear ratios are far more economical. Mine, which I referred to though, was an 07 and suffered greatly at motorway speeds.

I dont blame you, its easy done.

But quite a few reading might be abit confused. Assuming many dont even know it changed

Yeah my mums 05 polo had the older gearbox. 3500rpm at 70. By 80 its towards 4k and abit much to continue for long distances. Always thought it was a pain whenever i took a trip (did a few 500 mile runs down south for bike stuff). Didnt know mine would different when i got it, but it is n im happy at that.

Cruise confrol next ;)

• Like 1