1.2 TSI sounding rough

calmac

Hell of a growl on starting for 5 seconds or so......also sounds like a diesel sometimes when idling eg at lights. Have had issues (turbo shim adjustment and misfiring cylinder needing repair). 30000 miles covered and six weeks or so before warranty runs out.

Anything to be concerned about or do I cut my losses and run???

Has been an issue for some time and dealer finds nothing wrong....have mentioned before that dealers seem only to be interested in giving top service to those who buy from them. The network system fails somewhat if you try to use a dealer other than whom you bought from.

And I heard those engines were reliable... :think:

So does that one post make the 1.2 TSI an unreliable engine in your opinion?

Are you sure you wouldn't be better off with a Honda or another Toyota or something? You wouldn't be happy with a Skoda, would you?

• Like 3

It's not just one post about unreliability is it?The post about the highest mileage had a comment from Bobby G 79 about being on his second engine. Other mention has been made about cylinder/coil problems. Perhaps in total these problem s are minor over 3 years but it doesn't instill confidence when the car suddenly goes into limp mode half way round a busy roundabout or when you have to travel at rush hour on the A19 at 25 mph.I'll add that dealer advice was not to allow RAC to clear fault codes but to drive the car to them so that they could work it out.......not for me on 3 lane highways!!!

Bear in mind my car's a "59" plate and thus began life with an early TSi motor. Suffice to say there were teething problems which Skoda seem to have ironed out via engine replacements/modifications over the past few years.

The 1.2 TSi's a great engine, and hey, at least it's not a 1.4 Twin-Charger!

Mine was sounding rough on start up, turned out to be the camchain tensioner, I also have the early version of the engine and had to have the engine rebuilt - about £4000 of work luckily mine was in warranty. I believe there is a known issue with early camchain tensioners. Since the rebuild my oil consumption is better and my mpg has improved as well

My 1.2 TSI has been fine on start up apart from one occasion a few weeks ago when I started with a warm engine and the was an loud rattling sound for a few seconds. I thought it might be the timing chain issue but further research also indicates perhaps a turbo wastegate issue (whatever that is :think: ). It's not done it again, but disconcerting nonetheless. Shrub also offered the following explanation for cold engine rattles back in 2010:

"The manual states that some initial engine rattle is normal in the TSI engine. It is all to do with oil pressure. Just don't rev it hard in those early moments or you will wear it out in no time. I haven't really noticed any rattle from mine on start up but I did have a slightly uneven idle for a few moments yesterday. Sorted itself out a few seconds after start up though."

My 1.2 TSI has been fine on start up apart from one occasion a few weeks ago when I started with a warm engine and the was an loud rattling sound for a few seconds. I thought it might be the timing chain issue but further research also indicates perhaps a turbo wastegate issue (whatever that is :think:). It's not done it again, but disconcerting nonetheless. Shrub also offered the following explanation for cold engine rattles back in 2010:

"The manual states that some initial engine rattle is normal in the TSI engine. It is all to do with oil pressure. Just don't rev it hard in those early moments or you will wear it out in no time. I haven't really noticed any rattle from mine on start up but I did have a slightly uneven idle for a few moments yesterday. Sorted itself out a few seconds after start up though."

Mine also occasionally rattles on start-up, particularly from cold, for a couple seconds. Must go back and re-read the manual, in the mean time I'm keeping a close eye (ear?) on it, 9 months of warranty left....

And I heard those engines were reliable... :think:

To understand whether something is reliable or not, you have to look at statistics, not individual problems. Unfortunately, surfing user groups tends to give views of the latter rather than the former.

"offnote" seemingly dislikes Skoda's , as said above, he should check the facts before making comments , offnote should check out the KIA forum , ( i had a Kia motor , that's why i am back in a Skoda )i am sure that if "offnote" looks on the Kia forum he will be running back to Skoda asking for forgiveness

Gentlemen, might I suggest you check out the ignore function? Works wonders if someone is getting on your nerves. :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 4

Anyway - to be honest, I "share" the forum with my hubbie - if there's a slightly techie post it's usually him rather than me; However - It's MY Yeti (but was a present from him)......... There, all straight now.

• Like 2