1.2 TSI sounding rough

calmac

Woo hoo indeed, peace and common sense restored.....

What a wonderful option! Peace reigns again and my bloodpressure is close to normal. :hi:

Fred

Had this on my 1.2 Octy which eventually resulted in timing chain skipping. Definitely not something to ignore.

Will be changing before warranty expires.....and it won't be a Yeti.

My Yeti occasionally became noisey on start up from around 5,000 miles.(sounded like the tappets had all opened up but only lasted for a couple of seconds) It became progressively worse so by 20,000 miles was doing it on about 50% of all start ups and sounded slightly louder.

Today under warranty my maindealer fitted a new camchain and tensioner and for now at least all is quiet.

They confirmed this was not an isolated case.The tensioner works on oil pressure and I was told that they didn't know the detail of the fault as the modified tensioner looked exactly like the faulty item!!!!!

If anyone has this problem I suggest they get it fixed as soon as possible as the consequences can be very expensive.

As this seems to be a fairly common fault it must surely strengthen the case for some "out of warranty goodwill"?

• Like 1

Here in Israel I've heard more than once about out of warranty goodwill repairs regarding this issue. I guess it shouldn't be any different in UK. However this appears to be problem only with earlier models of 1.2 TSI. The way I understand it, the new models have a redisigned camchain and tensioner so it shouldn't be a problem on newer engines. I for sure am not worried about this with my new Yeti.

• Like 1

Thanks krko,hope I now have the latest tensioner.

We have a further development though.I now have quite an oil leak in the lower timing cover area.Maindealer dropped off a courtesy car this morning and have just phoned to say the cause is a damaged crankshaft oil seal which apparently got damaged during reassembly after installing the new camchain and tensioner..

They are keeping the car until tomorrow to make sure a new seal has solved the leak.

I hope this will be an end to it so I can give the Fabia Greenline back very soon!!!!!

• 1 year later...

Hi all, Further to the warnings above - 4 weeks ago our rattle noise worsened and the warning light came on drove it to our nearest garage (not Skoda) as we are 30 mins away from a dealer and I was worried about the car's drivability. On reaching the garage car died completely. Garage looked and found chain had messed up engine - called Skoda Uk who advised us that nothing could be talked about until a Skoda dealer had diagnosed the problem and that we should take the car there - paid to have it transported 50 miles(!!!) to garage where we had bought it (on SUK's advice!). 4 weeks later with no vehicle we have been told that because the Skoda dealer (who agreed with the independent garage that it was a timing chain issue) where not the first to look at it SUK will do NOTHING in terms of goodwill and as good as said they do not care if we take them to court! Beware and try to get this sorted asap if you are in any doubt about your chain. I will be shifting from Skoda as soon as I can because I am so frustrated by their lack of responsibility to loyal customers. This is an outrageous situation where they have messed up on the quality of a part and yet refuse to do anything about it. 

I do not know quite how to move forward from here and now face a minimum £3000 bill!!! But if others can learn from this more the better. I used to tell all I knew to buy Skoda as I was so pleased now I feel a right Chump!

TBH - you won't find any other manufacturers any different. That doesn't make it right - but believe me, I have been on Ford, Vauxhall, Mercedes, Renault, Suzuki and many other sites over the years, and can tell you that most manufacturers will wash their hands of any out-of-warranty goodwill claim the second they spot the opportunity to do so - it having been looked at by a non-franchised garage is just the sort of opportunity they are hoping for.

• 3 weeks later...

A nostalgic return to this site and this thread vindicates my decision to cut and run in May 2013...I just was not prepared to take the risk of ownership out of warranty.

Incidentally the Qashqai is excellent so far.Doesn't even use any oil!

Hi all, Further to the warnings above - 4 weeks ago our rattle noise worsened and the warning light came on drove it to our nearest garage (not Skoda) as we are 30 mins away from a dealer and I was worried about the car's drivability. On reaching the garage car died completely. Garage looked and found chain had messed up engine - called Skoda Uk who advised us that nothing could be talked about until a Skoda dealer had diagnosed the problem and that we should take the car there - paid to have it transported 50 miles(!!!) to garage where we had bought it (on SUK's advice!). 4 weeks later with no vehicle we have been told that because the Skoda dealer (who agreed with the independent garage that it was a timing chain issue) where not the first to look at it SUK will do NOTHING in terms of goodwill and as good as said they do not care if we take them to court! ...

Sorry to hear. 2 mistakes for others to learn from:

1 - suspected a driving chain issue, then driving the car...

2 - admitting to Skoda that another garage had seen it.

VW has certainly got some engine issues (1.2 timing chain, 1.4 twincharger, 1.8 oil consumption). No-one is perfect, but this is a long way off from "customer satisfaction"... 

Hi all, Further to the warnings above - 4 weeks ago our rattle noise worsened and the warning light came on drove it to our nearest garage (not Skoda) as we are 30 mins away from a dealer and I was worried about the car's drivability. On reaching the garage car died completely. Garage looked and found chain had messed up engine - called Skoda Uk who advised us that nothing could be talked about until a Skoda dealer had diagnosed the problem and that we should take the car there - paid to have it transported 50 miles(!!!) to garage where we had bought it (on SUK's advice!). 4 weeks later with no vehicle we have been told that because the Skoda dealer (who agreed with the independent garage that it was a timing chain issue) where not the first to look at it SUK will do NOTHING in terms of goodwill and as good as said they do not care if we take them to court! Beware and try to get this sorted asap if you are in any doubt about your chain. I will be shifting from Skoda as soon as I can because I am so frustrated by their lack of responsibility to loyal customers. This is an outrageous situation where they have messed up on the quality of a part and yet refuse to do anything about it. 

I do not know quite how to move forward from here and now face a minimum £3000 bill!!! But if others can learn from this more the better. I used to tell all I knew to buy Skoda as I was so pleased now I feel a right Chump!

Disgusting behaviour from Skoda,they should hang their heads in shame,seems they are adopting a lot of VW's discourteous and underhand tactics.

• Like 1

Sympathies from me, a lot of fault lies with dealers. I have been complaining for 2 years about this on our 1.2 tsi Octavia only to be ignored and given the "Its normal" runabout.

At least now I have in writing about my complaint, I know that I would win in the small claims courts, probably unchallenged.

For the cost of the small claims court application, I would put in a claim.

Do some research, VW know and have admitted in public there was a problem with the camchains from their supplier stretching because of worn stamping tools. Therefore it should have been a recall. Don't know where the link is now, probably removed but possibly contact Honest John who has the low down on this.

Edited by xman

Thank you for your support. I do hope lessons can be learnt and we may save others the costs and hassle!

We have a bit of time now to investigate how to proceed with a claim and whether we have a decent case.

I will keep you posted...

• Like 1