Buying a CRD-T tuning box from DTUK

Well after a lot of thought I've decided to buy a CRD-T tuning box from DTUK as opposed to a remap.

If there was a remap available through the OBD that wasn't nearly £500 then I would go for that TBH, my last golf GTTDI 130 was remapped and it was awesome!

Anyways I don't want to turn this into a remap vs tuning box but I have gone for one that modifies common rail fuel pressure and boost pressure not just the fuel temp / pressure resistor!

Andrew at DTUK was helpful and offered me a nice discount on top of the online offer and there results off various VAG CR 170's have produced good results. Latest was an Audi TT on the maximum setting for a new map file written by them which produced 220bhp from the 170 unit.

Others on normal settings produced 200-210bhp and excellent torque figures! I'll keep you posted, would like to get it RR'd after but that again has gone up (like everything) I remember when it was £25 for a power run only on a Saturday morning!

http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/vehicle-skoda_octavia_ii-2.0-tdi-170-ps-cr-stage-2-(crd-t)

Edited by xpower

The cost of the unit being £40 wouldnt surprise me but as with part of my line of work its the man hours writing, developing and testing the software that sets the price. Oh and the profits they'd like lol.

Lets just say it was less than £360 but more than £358 ;-D

It better be flippin amazing for that price, fingers crossed!

The cost of the unit being £40 wouldnt surprise me but as with part of my line of work its the man hours writing, developing and testing the software that sets the price. Oh and the profits they'd like lol.

Lets just say it was less than £360 but more than £358 ;-D

It better be flippin amazing for that price, fingers crossed!

So are they not just a resistor in a box then??

Im interested in one but have heard too many horrow stories about tuning boxes being worthless pieces of cheap junk.

So are they not just a resistor in a box then??

Im interested in one but have heard too many horrow stories about tuning boxes being worthless pieces of cheap junk.

There are tuning boxes that are just resistors - before I had my golf mapped I brought a variable resistor from maplins and attached it to the fuel temp sensor - it actually provided pretty healthy gains in power and torque surprisingly (enough to make the clutch slip slightly) . But this was only for testing and I had it mapped after.

The DTUK one appears to contain an actual map (input & output values) which it sends to the ECU based on current readings.

Eg. At idle fuel pressure is 600 bar but the box might report this a 600 bar (no adjustment needed at idle)

Upon acceleration the fuel pressure rises to 2000 bar which the box reports as 1500bar so the ECU tries to get the pressure to 2000 (actual pressure is now 2500bar) hence more power quicker.

At the same time the box is falsifying the readings from the MAP sensor (boost pressure) so the ECU increases turbo output in a similar fashion to the fuel sensor and maintains reasonable air /fuel ratio.

In theory its all good but it's how it performs whilst driving it that really matters. Will keep you updated.

• Like 1

This tuning box sounds quite interesting. Not really thinking about mapping mine at the moment as money is tight but when the missus goes back to work i may well think about one later in the year. Keep us posted with how you get on with it day to day. I would be more interested in the normal map rather than the full map. One thing that still concerns me is the torque limits of the DSG box. Did the guy say anything about this??

This tuning box sounds quite interesting. Not really thinking about mapping mine at the moment as money is tight but when the missus goes back to work i may well think about one later in the year. Keep us posted with how you get on with it day to day. I would be more interested in the normal map rather than the full map. One thing that still concerns me is the torque limits of the DSG box. Did the guy say anything about this??

Ive had the same concerns myself regarding tuning box with DSG and no one has been able to outrightly confirm the situation.

As I understand it the DSG gearbox is software limited to approx 258lb/ft torque output, happens to be the same figure as the claimed factory peak of the CR170. The premise is that the soft limiter reigns in the torque output once it reaches this level so it is never greater than this. With one of these boxes on you'll benefit from the power gains and a flatter torque curve but wont benefit from the peak increases the box can produce with a manual gearbox (without the torque restriction). The 6 speed DSG can be remapped itself to handle a greater torque load but this would invalidate the warranty on the gearbox; not a good call in my opinion given they cost about 4k part alone.

I think Andrew from DTUK reads the forum now and again so would be interested in his responses and rolling road data from a DSG car would be interesting to see.

My consensus is that it will likely make the power delivery on a DSG car much better but not quite to the same degree as a manual car though the DSGs quicker shifts without drive losses might even things out a bit. My concern is whether it would cause any engine light/limp home issues due to breaching the torque limiter.

Beats the hell out of me how they can get a claimed 220bhp out of a CR170 - REVO don't even quote that for a proper remap, so I struggle to see how an add-in box can return such figures

Or maybe I'm just over-sceptical?

Beats the hell out of me how they can get a claimed 220bhp out of a CR170 - REVO don't even quote that for a proper remap, so I struggle to see how an add-in box can return such figures

Or maybe I'm just over-sceptical?

Hi Brimma,

we were surprised as you when the TT produced the figures it did..

3 years ago our manual Seat Leon produced 210bhp and the same torque figure of 443nm..

Leon20TDIFRCRDT.jpg

Boxes are like remaps, there are good and bad ones..

Weve spent 100's of hours on developing the kits for the 2.0TDI CR amongst others including the VAG 3.0 TDI and VAG BITDI.

• Like 3

Ive had the same concerns myself regarding tuning box with DSG and no one has been able to outrightly confirm the situation.

As I understand it the DSG gearbox is software limited to approx 258lb/ft torque output, happens to be the same figure as the claimed factory peak of the CR170. The premise is that the soft limiter reigns in the torque output once it reaches this level so it is never greater than this. With one of these boxes on you'll benefit from the power gains and a flatter torque curve but wont benefit from the peak increases the box can produce with a manual gearbox (without the torque restriction). The 6 speed DSG can be remapped itself to handle a greater torque load but this would invalidate the warranty on the gearbox; not a good call in my opinion given they cost about 4k part alone.

I think Andrew from DTUK reads the forum now and again so would be interested in his responses and rolling road data from a DSG car would be interesting to see.

My consensus is that it will likely make the power delivery on a DSG car much better but not quite to the same degree as a manual car though the DSGs quicker shifts without drive losses might even things out a bit. My concern is whether it would cause any engine light/limp home issues due to breaching the torque limiter.

The graph below is from a 2011 Seat Leon FR+ with DSG transmission.

LEON_20_TDI_DSG_2013_zps28ffb2b7.jpg

We have tuned 100's of these new 2.0CR engines worldwide in the last 3/4 years, and touch wood weve not had any issues regarding gearboxes or dpf's.

The beauty with the kit is that it is adjustable, so if you dont want to run 210/220bhp and 440nm of torque, you have the choice to set the box to a lower setting.

(ive just sent the admins and email regarding sponsorship so that i can answer any quesitons anyone has without breaking the rules)

Thanks DieselTuningUK

How does one change the setting on the box? is a flip switch? and how many programs are there to choose from?

I have had experience of tuning boxes for a good few years now and can say they have been good for me.

Admitedley I have not had one from DTUK ( sorry Andrew, didn't know you guys existed!!) but other big names in the business whom I won't name but have had them on a range of cars from already performance cars to everyday ones and the gains were very noticable.

As I know it, Andrew can correct if wrong, but these modern ones are basically a mini computer inside and have far more effect due to being able to self-adjust to your driving style and engine load conditions etc, plus with as Andrew says the ability to be adjusted by the user, one I had was simply by opening the box and moving a pin to get a different output-simples :-)

They may not be for everyone but if anybody is unsure if they work or not I would suggest getting a drive in a car with one fitted and see what ya think

Its ineresting fromt aht graph that the std car appears to be running 188hp.

Have i read that correctly?

Good spot

The top arc looks roughly like 203, which correlates with the number published

The bottom arc looks roughly 173, but published number is 188?

Good spot

Good spot

Youre reading the torque curve not the bhp curve, but the car produced 188bhp in standard form.