Buying a CRD-T tuning box from DTUK

Andrew I didn't got any e-mail from you. I want to send the unit back to you.

Now I cannot even run on map 1, If the engine was petrol I would say it misfiring

I have sent numerous emails so not sure why you've not received them, our address is on the contact us page

Ok, shipped back today. To: Diesel Tuning UK LTD[/size]

11C Tanfield Lea North Industrial Estate[/size]

Tanfield Lea[/size]

Stanley[/size]

Co.Durham[/size]

DH9 9UU[/size]

Will be there in 10-12 days[/size]

we've received the box back and straight away we think we have found the issue.

can you confirm what setting you had set the box too Serge?

Andrew any update on newer firmware version? 

The only way to partially prevent (when engine cold this behavior still persist but to lesser extent than on maps 2, 3, 4) jerking behavior of the car is to switch to map 1 .0

When engine in normal operational temp. RPM goes up and down + - 200-300 rpm withing 1-2 seconds interval when engine idle.

This car behavior drives me nuts when it fitted with the box.

Serge,

from reading above it suggests that you set the box to map 1 zero, this is how we received the box from yourself.

SERGE_zps2638bea1.jpg

can you confirm that this is how you set the box to map 1 zero?

Mine arrived next day (well it would have, had I been at home to receive it!).

Box and loom appear nice quality. The look seems well measured to allow comfortable slack to reach the required connectors and position the box in a safe location, without the need to use too many cable ties.

Fitting time was about 15 minutes. In reality, it's a 2 minute job to plug in the four connectors, but I took a few minutes to route the cables etc. for now, the box is wedged with some foam between the battery and air filter... I think I'll look at some Velcro for a more permanent solution.

I've only driven the car about a mile so far and it was in a built up area... More of a test to ensure the engine still works and will get me to work tonight, than a performance test.

Mine came set to map 4 and I've switched it to 4+1 as suggested above. I'll see how I get on during my 70- mile round commute tonight!

I'm not one for blowing smoke up people's a***s, but credit where it's due, Andrew actually text me mid order to let me know I had made a mistake and was about to miss out on the discount. It leaves me confident that should I have any problems, the customer service is likely to be good. Top man.

Will update later with my thoughts on the performance side of things.

Hi, do you have an update on the performance, economy

• 2 weeks later...

might be a long shot but has anyone done a diagnostic download after getting an EML from having the box set too high? i got an EML light and limp mode the other morning while flooring it. unplugged the box and plugged it back in and the fault cleared, then teased it home and put the box down one. had a service yesterday and there were a few codes up that i am assuming were logged when i got my EML light. just wanted to compare to someone else incase its something else on the car thats on its way out.

thanks

Edited by andsoutham

You will most likely have a low pressure fuel fault - I had this happen once and after a reset (ign on/off/on) the light went out and all back to normal.

VCDS scan revealed fault as described. Erase codes and continue to enjoy the extra power :-)

Mine never came back again but if it did, I would need to turn the box down 1 setting.

thanks. the codes i got were something like "signal to fuel pressure sensor plausible" and "signal to boost pressure sensor implausible" which would make sense as thats where my box is plugged in.

hey ho hasn't happened since so am enjoying the power... my tires not so much!

andy

• 2 weeks later...

Just fitted my CRD-T box to my Octavia VRS CR 170. Bought second hand (only two months old) and was being ran on a TTS 170. Running on Map 1 - Boost 1 at the moment and only thing I can say is WOW !!! Instantly noticed the difference especially bottom end with this map. Can't wait to teat the other maps soon !! Credit to Andy and team at DTUK well done !

Also managed to fit boost pressure plug from above using the hook technique to release it. Which I was very happy about even if a bit fiddlly !! Will keep updated on my progress

• Like 1

I've also fitted my new (used) CRD-T box a few days ago to my MK2 Octy CR vRS.

Set to Map 2 plus 1, the resultant power increase is very noticeable. Pretty much as much power as I'd want, considering the car is FWD and not fitted with a proper LSD, tbh.

Not tried any of the other maps yet, as I have brimmed it and am in the process of calibrating my fuel computer (in my previous experience, they are always out after tuning), It's now is quite clear the weak link in my car are now thVentus V12 Evo tyres occasionally struggling for traction (not easy getting all that shove down with the first 3 gears!). 

All above board and declared on my Insurance like the saint I am too.  :angel:

Looking at the fuelling/boost graphs, am I right in thinking Map 2 is the most linear of the four maps for power delivery, Andrew? I'm ultimately looking for the map with the most progressive power delivery up towards the red line, as opposed to a low to mid range shove in the back that peters out after say, 3500 rpm.

Also, although on a somewhat trivial note, which map delivers the highest power figure of the four?

Early days yet, but as someone who previously wouldn't touch tuning boxes with a barge pole, I have to say this DTUK CRD-T box has won me over.  :clap:

Cheers,

Fr0d

• Like 1

Looking forward to hearing your experiences with the box aswell Fr0d !!! I also was dubious of tuning boxes but have been very impressed with Andy his teams efforts on this system

I Drove to work this morning on Map 1 - Plus 1 very impressed but with no issues whatsoever I changed to Map 3 - Plus 1 felt a little lacking bottom end and picked up further up revs which didn't feel right (for my driving anyway). Changed now to Map 2 - Plus 2 and wow instant power straight away carrying on up the rev range. No engine management issues or of any other kind.

Will run on this for a good bit now and see how it goes with Milage etc.

On a bad note I did kerb an alloy today grrrr !!!

Well I'd thought try out one of the other popular maps - map 4, just out of curiosity.

Took the box out and set it to 4+1 and gave it a run.

Noticed the boost came in slightly earlier, in a slightly less aggressive manner, and seems to last a bit longer too - largely as the fuelling/boost graph seems to illustrate. A slightly less PD-like shove than map 2, which, tbh, is more to my liking, as I can't see my tyres lasting very long with map 2.

Then I thought I'd push my luck a little and try map 4+2 whilst datalogging with my Torque Pro app. 

The car was even more eager after a short run, and the potential to be up to very naughty speeds in no time at all, is very real. My app calculated approxiamate torque and BHP figures of over 284lb/ft and 196bhp at the wheels. I suppose multiplying by 1.17 would give you rough flywheel figures.

After coming to a stop and switching off, I noticed a fans continuing to spin up for a few minutes after. As mentioned earlier in the thread, it could have been going into active DPF regen mode, as I guess the smoke I could have generated at this setting would have been epic. At no point did any warning lights appear, though.

As I don't want to brick the engine anytime soon, I'm back down to the sensible level of 4+1 for now, which datalogging revealed roughly to produce 175-179 whp  pretty much near to what DTUK state.

On another note, I see my box seems to be programmed with the old map 2, and as I like the look of the revised map 2, Is there any chance I could get my box re-flashed please, Andrew?

Sorry to hear about your alloy, VRSged - annoying, isn't it!

Cheers,

Fr0d.

available later this month...

Hmmmm....  it has always been the crawl under the engine that put me off this. And also this living there all the time. But if this is something that just lives indoors and can be taken out at any time...  YUM!

• Like 1

Nope that will plug into the loom, same as the current boxes.

Ah...  :-(  So what's different about it then?

Soooooo the ability to control common rail and boost sensors but with the benefit of just one connection like the common rail only box?

Cheers

Dave.

Still 2 connections to the common rail plus boost sensors. 3 maps rather than 4. No more need to open the box and move jumpers and pins, and on the 2.0 184 we saw additional power and torque over and above the current kit

• Like 2

Fr0d glad to hear u are also having good experiences with the box. I am still running on 2+2 and loving every minute haha !

Getting slightly better mpg as long as I'm keeping my right foot off ;).

I also got an active regen a couple of days ago, after a fairly heavy run. I think I interrupted it as when I turned the car off I got a little bit of smoke from under bonnet ! Worried at first lol but after reading advice on here and speaking to mechanics at my work this is what it seems to be, and hasn't happened since.

I may change to map 4+2 after reading your post and see what results I have with that ! What app are you using to measure as ones I've found have been a bit rubbish lol ?

Cheers cammy