Buying a CRD-T tuning box from DTUK

Brimma without people like you and cars like yours the world would be a pretty dull place!

RE DSG soft torque limiter, its either not as strict as people make out or its just plain rubbish that it exists at all not sure which. Have to say seeing those figures its a very tempting proposition.

Edited by pipsyp
  • Like 1

Very interesting thread this. Im really liking the idea of the tuning box. I would probably opt for a more sensible level of tune just to help preserve the DSG but certainly 200bhp sounds nice as i do feel it needs a wee bit extra at the top end. My BMW had about 210bhp after map and it just felt that bit more eager when stretching its legs fully. Standard VRS feels plenty strong enough low down but it does feel like its running out of puff when you extend it. Not much but probably just in comparison to my BMW. August before missus is working again though so will need to bide my time.

Edited by Jockdooshbag

Ok, So the box was delivered today (next day - very quick) and Ive fitted to the car. Took about 15 mins to do as the boost pressure sensor is a little fiddly to get to but its fine. I have attached so pics below of the instal and where I routed the cables and stored the tuning box.

I took the car out for a little drive at lunch but i will test drive further over the next few days and the weekend.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS ARE - WOW!!!! There is now a HUGE surge of torque between about 1900rpm and 3100rpm that pushes you back in your seat! This is something that the CR 170 was really lacking (power delivery was far to linear for a TD)

So far i'm really impressed with power & delivery. Mine is set to the top level map (nearly) and performance is super - took a friend with me and he commented on the real whack of torque at low revs. The DSG seems to cope perfectly with no slip etc.

I will update more as I drive the car over the weekend as a quick 10 min test drive only gives you a quick glimpse.

IMG_1771_zpse6a28f9f.jpg

IMG_1767_zpsf2bc04af.jpg

IMG_1766_zps80c59801.jpg

IMG_1761_zps388a28a0.jpg

• Like 3

X-power are you going to get it RR'd; be super interested to see the before and afters results on your car.

One thing that worries me as im not the most mechanically minded despite this supposedly being relatively "plug and play"......what if the car breaks down? Guess you'd have to remove the box before callibg Skoda Assist which could be a bit of a pain in the ass and a bit fiddly without the tools to hand. Whats your thoughts on this?

I was thinking of getting one of these myself for the last few months.

DTUK are very well known in the Vauxhall world and are generally preferred over remaps with many people running the units on CDTi 150 producing just over 200bhp.

I'd say people that are skeptical should go on Astra Owners Club or Vectra Owners Club and do a search!

Nice to see Andrew potentially becoming a sponsor here too!

X-power are you going to get it RR'd; be super interested to see the before and afters results on your car.

One thing that worries me as im not the most mechanically minded despite this supposedly being relatively "plug and play"......what if the car breaks down? Guess you'd have to remove the box before callibg Skoda Assist which could be a bit of a pain in the ass and a bit fiddly without the tools to hand. Whats your thoughts on this?

TBH I'd love to get it on the rollers to see some actual figures but I've spent my hard earned cash on this for now :-)

Fitting = the common rail sensor is right on top of the engine so really really simple (last pic). The other sensor (map) is a little more tricky, I used a hook tool at work to pop the clip and slide the plug off - it can be done without but it just made it easier! Routing the wiring is again easy and it fits nicely between the airbox and battery although it would fit other places as well. You would have no problem fitting this without any mechanical knowledge just allow a little extra time :-).

Removing the plugs and refitting originals roadside (if required) also wouldn't be an issue - don't forget you don't have to take the box and wiring out just unplug the adapters and replug in the original wiring.

Xpower. Thanks for the pics.

Did it come with decent clear fitting instructions? I take it no tools needed ?

As above I used a hook tool to make the unclipping of the MAP sensor plug easier, it did come with clear fitting instructions with colour pictures. Although the instructions say to remove the undertray from the engine to gain access to the MAP sensor that wasn't necessary, it can be reached from the top. the pictures in the instructions show a golf with the CR engine in so not sure if the sensor is slightly further down on that variant.

Edited by xpower
  • Like 1

Thanks.

What map setting did the unit come shipped with ? I've read map 3 +1 hits a sweet spot.

It came shipped with Map 4 + 2 :-) now that's the sweet spot!!! It's maximum setting is Map 4 + 3 but the doccumention says if that setting is selected it will generate a engine management light :-(

• Like 1

HI Phil,

usually we ship the kits on map 1 zero :)

Regarding the maps, since the rolling road weve modified them slightly, so any CRD-T's shipped from now on will have the new software installed.

Regarding sponsorship, ive been in touch with Colin and hopefully he feels that DTUK can bring something to the Briskoda community.

Edited by DieselTuningUK
  • Like 3

In fact, how about DTUK loan me a box for say 3 months? I will then do a full review to post on the forum including mpg figures etc etc, If its good they can post it on their website as a testimonial, everyones a winner lol

In fact DTUK is only about 6 miles from me so i could even pop in and save them the postage ha ha.

Edited by ed209

In fact, how about DTUK loan me a box for say 3 months? I will then do a full review to post on the forum including mpg figures etc etc, If its good they can post it on their website as a testimonial, everyones a winner lol

In fact DTUK is only about 6 miles from me so i could even pop in and save them the postage ha ha.

Pop in for a coffee, the kettles always on :)

I have been thinking of a remap for a month or so, but have been put off by warranty issues as the car is only 7 months old. this seems like the perfect solution. my concern is the negitive views that people have about " Tuning Boxes " It will be interesting to see what the overall driving experience is and mpg over time. The general feed back from a quality remap is that mpg stays the same or even improves. this is what i would want better driving experience when needed and better mpg when diving normally to work ect. Then if any warranty work or servicing is needed it can be removed.

Lee

I have been thinking of a remap for a month or so, but have been put off by warranty issues as the car is only 7 months old. this seems like the perfect solution. my concern is the negitive views that people have about " Tuning Boxes " It will be interesting to see what the overall driving experience is and mpg over time. The general feed back from a quality remap is that mpg stays the same or even improves. this is what i would want better driving experience when needed and better mpg when diving normally to work ect. Then if any warranty work or servicing is needed it can be removed.

Lee

feedback from our customers regarding MPG is that 90% of them see a genuine improvement on a tank to tank comparison.

Worst case scenario, is that it will be no worse/no better.

Edited by DieselTuningUK

a special brisky group buy would be very nice :) (better than the current audi one running!)

pay day next week too so no reason not to buy one lol

a special brisky group buy would be very nice :) (better than the current audi one running!)

pay day next week too so no reason not to buy one lol

any deals we offer on Briskoda will match the deals youve seen on other forums

Edited by DieselTuningUK

Could there be a group buy/furum offer on these boxes if DTUK are going to sponsor the site?

As were now officially a sponsor ive set up a discount code for Briskoda members which represents an £80 discount off the full rrp on all DTUK systems.

so the CRD-T (Common rail plus boost control systems)

http://www.diesel-pe...tails.php?id=10

is reduced from £439.00 down to £359.00 inc vat

FITTING INSTRUCTIONS AVAILABLE HERE

CRD2+ (Common Rail Only)

http://www.diesel-pe...etails.php?id=1

is reduced from £389.00 down to £309.00 inc vat

If anyone is interested, please drop me a pm or email me on andrew(at)diesel-performance.co.uk and ill email it to you.

Edited by Andrew@DTUK
  • Like 1