TSI HT lead failure

weaver

This has come up in at least one other thread: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/266649-car-judders-and-epc-light-comes-on/

Ours is a December 2009 1.2 TSI and various warning lights popped up on Sunday and 'go-slow' mode was engaged, I've just taken it to the local Skoda dealer and it was diagnosed with a fault on HT lead 3.

As in the above thread this appears to be a heat related issue and the newer HT leads have protective shrouds as a result. At just over three years old but under 30,000 miles ours is out of warranty but low on miles.

Clearly the dealers don't expect to be replacing them as they don't hold any in stock and I'm in a coutesy car until tommorow.

Does anyone have any news on a Skoda view on this?

Secondly, having done 50 or so miles on a mis-firing engine what are the implications for possible damage to the catalytic converter?

Ouch indeed. No charge on ours, but still in warranty, so done by Skoda Assistance. If your original HT lead 3 didn't have the heat sheathing, it suggests a design fault on this engine. Worth raising with Skoda UK?

• Like 1

Secondly, having done 50 or so miles on a mis-firing engine what are the implications for possible damage to the catalytic converter?

I think none. ECUs usually simply shut down the injector of a misfiring cylinder.

Agree with Michael G, you should raise it with SUK as the newer engines do have additional protective sleeves over the HT leads, so clearly a design issue.

Standard HT leads on our previous 2010 Fabia TSI, protected leads on the replacement 2012 Monte.

TP

I did put in a complaint to SUK yesterday but haven't heard anything back yet.

I'm assuming they use a formula when deciding whether something is an issue that they actually need to aknowledge as such; ie if a certain percentage fail within a certain time then up to a point it's 'acceptable'. I raised the issue of the rear door chipping on cars without the protective film; this was never a re-call as such, but if asked for would be rectified without charge.

I'm pretty sure all the others failed under warranty - so an annoying and avoidable failure, but not costly for the customer (still inconvenient). In my case - I guess due to lower than average mileage, it's failed out of warranty which is both inconvenient and costly. The line I was given yesterday was "we can't guarantee parts for life" and "can't act on internet hearsay".

There were four on the previous thread, plus me that's now five - all on the number 3 lead, which to me says that it's more than just coincidence, coupled with the extra sleeving on newer leads.

• Like 1

I did put in a complaint to SUK yesterday but haven't heard anything back yet.

There were four on the previous thread, plus me that's now five - all on the number 3 lead, which to me says that it's more than just coincidence, coupled with the extra sleeving on newer leads.

Me too. Be interested in their response.

The line I was given yesterday was "we can't guarantee parts for life" and "can't act on internet hearsay".

Think their hoping to fob you off.

Agreed they don't have to guarantee parts for life (although Vauxhall claim too for first owners :giggle: ), however they do have to be fit for purpose and last a reasonable time in the life cycle of the vehicle, which IMHO is not the case here by the sounds of it. They should also know themselves that a design change to the leads has taken place and by the sounds of it are being reluctant to acknowledge, as it would really put them on shaky ground if they did.

I take it from your comments that the new leads are protected :wonder: So I would push on that point again. Along the lines of getting written explanation as to why the leads are now protected if there was not an issue of potential damage or failure with the original type fitted to your car without protection.

TP

• Like 2

As in the above thread this appears to be a heat related issue and the newer HT leads have protective shrouds as a result.

As a matter of interest, does your car have the (sound) insulation under the bonnet?

It may have no bearing, and I know the consensus is that Skoda only dropped it for cost reasons - hearing about the HT problems though, did make me change my mind about purchasing the after-market insulation, just in case.

Mine actually didn't, but I bought it after and fitted it. Are you thinking the two together could be a fire risk, or the insulation itself might add to the level of heat?

As a matter of interest, does your car have the (sound) insulation under the bonnet?

It may have no bearing, and I know the consensus is that Skoda only dropped it for cost reasons - hearing about the HT problems though, did make me change my mind about purchasing the after-market insulation, just in case.

Can't actually remember now you ask - just off to pick it up though.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/161301-12-tsi-cold-engine-rattles/page__st__30#entry3107508

My Yeti lost power, so took it to the garage, they found 2 foulty spark plugs and one ignition lead. They've changed all 4 plugs and one lead, and gave me the bill. After investigating this forum, I've found out that this was covered by good will, eventhough my car was out of warranty. I told this to my dealer, and they've changed the other 3 leads as well, and charged me nothing at all.

Edited by cackok

Just back from the garage and the Yeti is running much more smoothly!

No I don't have any under bonnet insulation to answer the question above.

Looking at the new cable it is abundantly clear that it is not a re-designed, 'new' cable. The extra sleeve is just that: a length of corrugated sleeve that is presumably put in place before the ends are put on the cable. I strongly suspect that it would be possible to modify an existing cable using a slit or coiled sleeve and this would cost pennies.

Thanks to cackok for your input - looks like Skoda Macedonia are rather more enlightened than Skoda UK at the current time!

As of this morning I have a case number, but also a continuing denial that any issue exists with this cable and an assertion that the changed design could have been for any number of reasons. The visual evidence of what is under my bonnet and the experiences of others here strongly contradicts this position.

Mine actually didn't, but I bought it after and fitted it. Are you thinking the two together could be a fire risk, or the insulation itself might add to the level of heat?

I think saying a fire risk would be going too far, but there is, in my view, a slight chance of increased temperatures.

Looking at the new cable it is abundantly clear that it is not a re-designed, 'new' cable. The extra sleeve is just that: a length of corrugated sleeve that is presumably put in place before the ends are put on the cable. I strongly suspect that it would be possible to modify an existing cable using a slit or coiled sleeve and this would cost pennies...

My take on it was that whilst the lead per se had not been re-designed, the addition of the thermal sleeve constituted an updated design, most likely as a result of the failures you and I and others experienced with the unprotected original in the TSI engine.

My take on it was that whilst the lead per se had not been re-designed, the addition of the thermal sleeve constituted an updated design, most likely as a result of the failures you and I and others experienced with the unprotected original in the TSI engine.

I agree - but the line I'm being given at present is that just because a design is 'updated' it doesn't follow that there was any problem with the previous design; it seems clear to us here that the update was specifically designed to address the exact issue we are having - but SUK are denying exists.

Can't guarantee parts for life but not looking good against Hyundai's 5 years, Kia's 7 years and Vauxhalls life while you own the car. I hope Skoda are not becoming too complacent as I see Korean manufacturers where Skoda was 5years ago....trying hard and increasing quality.

I will be changing when warranty expires and it won't be a Yeti.

Don't believe all you here about these "extended" warranty periods! There are lots of stories on the 'net about how poor Kia's supposed 7 years is after 3 years, ditto Vauxhall's "lifetime".

All seem to to have lots of "get-out" clauses.

I agree - but the line I'm being given at present is that just because a design is 'updated' it doesn't follow that there was any problem with the previous design; it seems clear to us here that the update was specifically designed to address the exact issue we are having - but SUK are denying exists.

I didn't have to pay for ours being done, and the circumstances were such that inconvenience was minimal. In fact, the Skoda Assist lad was a pleasure to deal with, and I commended him. Had it been different, I would have pursued it with SUK, drawing their CEO's attention to the examples listed here. Even a contribution, or retail vouchers, would ease the pain.

It's about how far you want to go. Sometimes I've just sucked this stuff up and moved on. Life isn't always long enough.