Q? Might there be a market for a vRS Superb?

And?

And it was an comment to your comment.... they're bigger than the Superb and are performance versions... so no, Superb is not too big for a performance version.

Al.

And it was an comment to your comment.... they're bigger than the Superb and are performance versions... so no, Superb is not too big for a performance version.

Al.

That may well be.

My point remains!

That may well be.

My point remains!

That may well be.

My point remains!

I think that I've lost the point, & I started this thread!

Perhaps I should interject?

A Superb isn't such a large car, so a performance version wouldn't be too difficult to market nor a technical impossibility, more is there a potential demand?

Another point, would VAG allow Skoda to nibble away at what they might feel is forbidden territory for Skoda?

DC

DC

"My 2.0 TSi replaced a vRS 2.0 TSi Octy vRS & it's a much better car in many ways, including the space, comfort & overall ambience, but since 'er indoors purchased her own Octy vRS I'm reminded that that I'd like a little more performance....

A remap is the obvious answer, (plus suspension / brake modifications?) but I'd worry about re-mapping a car that's still got two years warranty left to run."

I have had 2 re-maps and my 140PD did 70,000 miles with no problems, my TSi has done 6,000 miles with no problems.

Best advice I can give is go for a standard re-map (it transformed my cars) which will give you about 250 BHP close to the V6 and you should gain about 1-2MPG. I think your brakes are the same as the V6?

Edited by BurialConstant

We're about as likely to see an official Superb vRS as we are to see Skoda UK casting buckets of bratwurst from the top of Big Ben. There's just no market for it at the price it would inevitably be. What people need to remember is that the modified Superbs you see were almost certainly bought used and then 'done up', so it would cost much less than a brand new equivalent. If it happens I'll eat my shoes.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

depends on what people wish..... Its the same like having the oldtimer, simply Skoda has its own motorsport division for Fabia/Octavia. If you´d like to have something special you can go for some professional alternation beside or simply purchase completely another brand like AUDI S line.

I think Superb is considered as comfy car for middle class managers or family use, so no vRS ideas in Skoda so far.

I'm also guessing that the average Superb buyer chooses it for the extra space and comfort level they get over the Octavia

Not necessarily over the Octavia; I hadn't considered Skoda at all until I read about the Superb. I was comparing it with the Passat, A6, Mazda 6, Sharan even. Octy was never an option.

Well officially not. But consider

Benet Automotive Czech Republic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgsA3reOCRw

http://www.benet-automotive.cz

They have achieved all the approvals in Czech legislation and all the conversions are legal in the EU.

Thanks for the info & the interesting video......

Perhaps our (driving) summer holiday in Europe should include the Czech Republic?

We would be driving one of our Skodas, but I'm concerned that the language might just be a problem!

Thanks again, DC

DC

"My 2.0 TSi replaced a vRS 2.0 TSi Octy vRS & it's a much better car in many ways, including the space, comfort & overall ambience, but since 'er indoors purchased her own Octy vRS I'm reminded that that I'd like a little more performance....

A remap is the obvious answer, (plus suspension / brake modifications?) but I'd worry about re-mapping a car that's still got two years warranty left to run."

I have had 2 re-maps and my 140PD did 70,000 miles with no problems, my TSi has done 6,000 miles with no problems.

Best advice I can give is go for a standard re-map (it transformed my cars) which will give you about 250 BHP close to the V6 and you should gain about 1-2MPG. I think your brakes are the same as the V6?

When I've asked what I might expect from a basic re-map on a 2.0 TSi, 240 - 250 BHP is the usual answer with 260 - 270 ft/lbs torque.

My old Octy 2.0 TFSi did better after it's re-map, giving 257 bhp & 284 ft/lbs torque, but that's a different engine, with app. 30k miles on it at the time.

It was 4+ years old at the time, so out of warranty, so no issue with any warranty claims if there were any problems!

As for the brakes, the front discs are larger than our Octy vRS, they seem to be about 340 mm dia, is that the same as a V6?

No problems noted re stopping at all, but I'm not "hard" on brakes, pads & discs seem to last for ever on my cars.

I don't do a lot of city driving & I usually back-off early &/or shift down for corners & planned stops, it saves money........

DC.

Totally agree, as I have said in many posts " .......oh how I wish the V6 had the low down torque of a 170CR Diesel ............"

I'd be an even happier man

David.

How I wish my 170CR Diesel had the power of my previous 1.8 TSI.

Both are DSG. I miss my petrol (except for fuel consumption... but anyway it's a company car, I don't pay the fuel)

Mine has more power than the 1.8

However I saw a VRS Mk2 in Cheiveley services on Thursday , I was a Silver CR170 with a VRS badge stuck on , hope its no-one on here :):)

Never realised that always thought it was based on the passat!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Think you're both correct - the Passat is a stretched Golf platform I believe.... so the Octy is a stretched Golf, the Passat a stretched Golf and the Superb a super-stretched Golf :) I stand to be corrected, but pretty sure!

As for a vRS Superb, I'd like the looks of the vRS and the engine (ie economy/emissions) of my Greenline II please :D

• 3 years later...

Brimma's right. Where's the market for a Superb VRS? Sure there are a few petrol heads like me who want to modify their Superb and aim for a VRS in all but it's name. But the Skoda marketing gurus know that they sell 99% of their Superbs to a different kind of customer. One who wants a large comfortable cruiser that's a bit different from the other brands out there and at a price point cheaper than an A6 etc. So they know there's no business sense in a VRS version.

However, the Superb isn't too big to make it as a VRS. You just need the right modifications to remove it's 'cruiser' attributes and change it's personality.

So that leaves us 'alternative' Superb owners who want to morph ours cars from Dr Jekyll in to something akin to Mr Hyde - perhaps for the saner owners among us, a wolf in sheeps clothing (ah well, we can all dream.....)

I can only speak for myself but I'm past the days of crashy ride quality and massive wheels. Its all about economy, comfort and reliability...sad I know. If anything could be made more sporty on the Superb it should be the steering (dull compared to even the Mazda 6).

• Like 2

Ah, but maybe you can still have it all(?). My days of a teeth-chattering ride and massive wheels are no more - I'm far too old for that.

I still ride on my original 17" rims - much more comfortable and quieter than 18" ones. But I have Eibach Pro springs (30mm drop) which is a much better (yes, that includes comfortable not crashy!) ride than the original joggly-wobbly springs (my kids always felt sea sick riding in the rear). ECU remap and exhaust gained another 5+mpg overall plus another 55hp and lots of torque if you need it. So may be....just may be, you could have it all too (diesels are transformed by a remap).

Ah, but maybe you can still have it all(?). My days of a teeth-chattering ride and massive wheels are no more - I'm far too old for that.

I still ride on my original 17" rims - much more comfortable and quieter than 18" ones. But I have Eibach Pro springs (30mm drop) which is a much better (yes, that includes comfortable not crashy!) ride than the original joggly-wobbly springs (my kids always felt sea sick riding in the rear). ECU remap and exhaust gained another 5+mpg overall plus another 55hp and lots of torque if you need it.o may be....just may be, you could have it all too (diesels are transformed by a remap).

,We have 3 VAG cars, all on 18" rims & the Superb has the best ride by far, possibly down to the tyres  (Goodyear EfficientGrip) & sensible tyre pressures.

The Golf R has adaptive damping, but suffers from Bridgestone Potenzas running at 39 psi, so even in " Comfort" mode it's a bit of a joke.

As for a Superb 2 being too big for a performance version, it's smaller than a 5 series or an E class, is usefully narrower than either of the Germans or an XF Jag, 

& with a decent remap it's plenty quick enough.

I was following my own car yesterday (being driven with some enthusiasm by SWMBO....) & it seemed to be quite composed through the twisties.........

DC

Brimma's right. Where's the market for a Superb VRS? Sure there are a few petrol heads like me who want to modify their Superb and aim for a VRS in all but it's name. But the Skoda marketing gurus know that they sell 99% of their Superbs to a different kind of customer. One who wants a large comfortable cruiser that's a bit different from the other brands out there and at a price point cheaper than an A6 etc. So they know there's no business sense in a VRS version.

However, the Superb isn't too big to make it as a VRS. You just need the right modifications to remove it's 'cruiser' attributes and change it's personality.

So that leaves us 'alternative' Superb owners who want to morph ours cars from Dr Jekyll in to something akin to Mr Hyde - perhaps for the saner owners among us, a wolf in sheeps clothing (ah well, we can all dream.....)

So, why have Skoda re-introduced the 2.0 TSi in the Superb 3 & appear to be selling quite a few to private buyers who possibly don't need / want a diesel & like the Q-car concept.

I wouldn't want a vRS 280 at all, but I could enjoy an L&K, if only 'cos it really does have the Jekyll & Hyde persona............

DC 

I think a driver focussed version is no bad thing, I was surprised at how agile the Superb is for a big car. The 1.8 petrol definitely is keener on turn in than the TDIs I have test driven (due to less mass). 

A 4wd version with a VAQ diff and some of the Golf R playfulness would be good. 

Yes. I think there will be a VRS Superb at some point. Sooner rather than later. Depends on how well the R series Seats and VWs do.

Since the mark 3 Superb comes with the same 280 bhp engine as the Leon Cupra and 4WD, there's already a Superb that will easily outpace an Octy VRS. And that's before remapping it. From what I've heard modifying the throttle map makes a massive difference to the way this drives even without a remap.

I reckon the biggest impediment to a Superb vRS is Audi. At the price point such a model would be placed at, the market is a good deal smaller, and I suspect it'd eat into Audi A6 sales quite a bit.

• Like 1