Passenger side electric window not working

Fabia 1.4 tdi sport 2008.

Passenger side window does not work at all. There is no noise when the button is depressed either on the passenger side or the drivers side. The double switch on the drivers side does allow me to open the drivers side window.

This led me to believe that it is not the switch(es) (unless both went at the same time, highly unlikely but possible i suppose) and therefore i was thinking that it is probably the motor on the passenger side.

Just wondered if anybody had any advice before i sought professional help, or maybe i could have a look myself with advice from you guys going in through the panels to maybe test the motor.

With thanks

Steve

Edited by stegsy76

My 2011 vrs passenger window stopped working for 24 hours a few weeks back then magically started to work again. (Didn't work from either driver or passenger side). Same used to happen to my mk1 vrs

• Like 1

Does global opening work on both windows? If it doesn't prob Brocken wire common place is drivers door lume were goes through rubber boot back into car if it does prob motor

The passenger window does not open at all, so therefore no the global opening does not work on both windows.

The double switch on the drivers door will only open the drivers window, it works as normal therefore it will open it part way and all the way automatically. The passenger window button (on the double switch) on the drivers side doesn't work and the switch on the passenger door does not work either. Will check the wiring as you've stated and see if there are any signs of damage.

Thanks

My 2011 vrs passenger window stopped working for 24 hours a few weeks back then magically started to work again. (Didn't work from either driver or passenger side). Same used to happen to my mk1 vrs

Both mine stopped working, then worked intermittently for a while. Now they have been working perfectly for the last couple of months. I wondered if it was moisture in winter on some of the wiring or connections as mine is outside on the drive.

my left window stopped working, then right window, then both working..this was a year ago, recently both windows came down a few inches when i unlocked the car...strange.....

the window not working is fixed (for now) it was some loose wiring..take the door card off and check the contacts

this seems to be a common problem on the fabia...touch wood, they won't stop working again...

Any joy with the wire checks?? And by global opening I mean hold the key in door lock either lock or unlock position for a few seconds windows should go up or down depending which way just in case you didn't know lol

Hi Red Rover, had a look and the protective rubber sleeve is all intact, tried pulling it away from entry to door and car but seems very stiff and don't want to pull it off and then not be able to get it back in (are they tough to pull out on purpose and are they easy to get back in???). Tried the global opening and it DIDNT work. Tried it on the VRS just to make sure i was doing it right and that worked fine. Can you diagnose it from that??

Thks Fabia 55 will have a look. Are the panels easy to take off. Any advice on taking them off would be appreciated. Are they just pushed on/levered off or are there screws? Cheers

Just read back, prob wire in the rubber shoe between car and door. Will a flat headed screw driver get them off or is there a trick of the trade rool for doing this. Much appreciated

I'd normally use a plastic trim tool so not 2scratch the door it's normally stiff can't remember on this model if it clips in2 door so would be easier to take panel off and do it from the inside been a while since I did 1 lol

• Like 1

It was bugging me so got on with it. Bang on the button, one of the wires on the passenger door lume in the rubber casing leading into the door is snapped. Traced it back to the window motor. Im thinking best way is butt connector and crimp them back together??

It was bugging me so got on with it. Bang on the button, one of the wires on the passenger door lume in the rubber casing leading into the door is snapped. Traced it back to the window motor. Im thinking best way is butt connector and crimp them back together??

Just had a look and the connectors have an amp rating, can you advise me of which i need, with thanks

If you join the wire in the rubber boot it will last 2 mins, the amount it flexes will break it. Needs a new loom or at least the wire replacing.

Ok thanks. Any idea of where I could purchase said wire or loom. Or is Skoda the only place. Thanks

Just read back, prob wire in the rubber shoe between car and door. Will a flat headed screw driver get them off or is there a trick of the trade rool for doing this. Much appreciated

Very easy, just prise the door handle cover off with some force, it will sound like you're going to snap the clips. Inside the door handle there are two large torx screws, undo those. (You might need an extension if your screw/torx driver shaft is not long enough) At the bottom of the door card unscrew the small torx screws. Put the screws safe.

Move the whole door card away from the door starting at the bottom first, then lift the whole thing. Don't move it away from the door more than a few inches because the wire for the electric window switch and the door release is attached. Once you've moved the door card away from the door, unclip the plug for the electric window switch, and undo the cable for the door release.

Do the reverse to put the door card back on.

edit: the clips that hold the door card in place are very fragile and break easily, don't worry they can easily be replaced and can be bought for a small price from the dealers. I believe the old ones were white, new ones can come ina different colour or green.

Edited by fabia55
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Got similar problem myself, read few posts on here, but window works on mine passenger switch and global just not drivers door, anyway thought it was switch so went and bought one, changed it while at dealers (£29) it worked, thought great that's that then tried about 8 times or so, anyway raining today so went to get water off by winding down...guess what not working grrrrr, think must be wire but not sure if drivers door or passenger......where to start?.......any help appreciated

• 3 months later...

Mine did this today - passenger front window did not respond to either switch. By the end of the journey it worked fine again. Was cold and damp so wonder if something inside the door dried out over the course of the journey! Still not great on a 2012 car!

• 5 years later...

A bit late to the party, but i've just encountered this problem with my 2008 Fabia.

The passenger side window was initially temperamental, but always worked after a few attempts. However, eventually it gave up and made a sad wherring noise and refused to respond to it's own switch or even the drivers side switch.

After 3 weeks of having a passenger side window partially open i decided to try overriding it with the key. (not sure if anybody else has realised but when unlocking the drivers side door with your key, if you turn the key as far as you can and hold it down you can open the windows too). Lo and behold, after a few attempts this managed to both fully open and close the passenger window. This isn't a long term fix, but something to consider should you need to close the window.