Projector Upgrade - Thoughts

Hi Guys,

I have a 2011 facelift Fabia and the models down here do not come with projector lamps and the the lighting of the car is really inadequate along with the fog lamps. So i am planning to upgrade to projector can anyone direct me if this upgrade is :

1) Really worth or should i upgrade the bulbs with a cut out for 100/90

2) Will this Increase the lighting on the road?

3) Can i use the old bulbs or is there an upgrade for the bulbs also.

4) Has anyone upgraded and the price for the upgrade. - Any currency is fine as the prices worldwide are the same for skoda

5) Are there any tweaks to be done on the Fabia to accommodate this change?

6) Does anyone know the part number for the Normal Projector lamps and the price.

I did manage to get the price of the projector, but the ones i got are smoked projector lamps(Needs to be imported) which i am not a fan and i have CBeige colour fabia, i am looking for the normal projector lamps.

I would appreciate everyone contribution as i am in a fix as to if i have to go with this upgrade which i know is pretty costly and need some one to guide me with this.

Thank you for your ŠkodaParts.Com Enquiry. Please click on the links below for price on items required

http://www.skodaparts.com/product/fabia-facelift-headlamp-black-o-s-2011-2013-50080

http://www.skodaparts.com/product/fabia-headlamp-n-s-black-2011-2013-50079

There will be additional postage charge if you decide to buy it.

Thanks

The projector headlights on the Fabia are shockingly bad so I wouldn't bother. Just get some decent bulbs :-)

EER I disagree. The ones I have are Fantastic on my Elegance. They out perform the ones on my Merc and have no dead spot, illuminating the road ahead very well. I am very happy with them. I would go as far as to say they are the best I have had on any car since my 1987 Volvo.... AND THEY WERE GOOD.

Hi,

so what do i go about with, the bulb upgrade or projectors, does any one have an idea as to what it might cost for an upgrade and which bulbs are recommended?

Guess you've not got a VRS if you're looking to buy some 2012MY VRS headlamps?

These are fitted to mine but I still had to improve the lamps by fitting a pair of Phillips Extreme bulbs,& adjusting them skywards 1/2 a turn (see other threads).

Ideally,I will probably upgrade to HIDs once out of warranty ,as I did on my previous car!

I paid for the curve projector light option when i bought my vrs and put some better phillips bulbs it in. Had Xenons on my last 2 cars prior to the Fabia. Reallity is the lamps with the bulb change i would rate as 'okay' but nothing more.

To solve this Skoda needs to add Xenons/HiDS to the option list.... :giggle:

• Like 1

Thanks a lot guys, i think i will upgrade my existing bulbs to 100/90 with a relay.

The projector costs a about 19K INR and another 1K fitting charges. Then probably i will need to upgrade to HID etc. so i will delay the project for the next 6 months and when the currency exchange rate dips will order it from superskoda or from skoda directly.

Guess you've not got a VRS if you're looking to buy some 2012MY VRS headlamps?

These are fitted to mine but I still had to improve the lamps by fitting a pair of Phillips Extreme bulbs,& adjusting them skywards 1/2 a turn (see other threads).

Ideally,I will probably upgrade to HIDs once out of warranty ,as I did on my previous car!

Thanks for your inputs, if you can share the link for your thread it will be really helpfull, i was unable to find it as such.

Which type of headlamps can be adjusted to bend left/right when dipped to accommodate chaning from driving on the right/left?

And how easy ($) is it to change the standard lamps on the Greenline to such a version?

EER I disagree. The ones I have are Fantastic on my Elegance. They out perform the ones on my Merc and have no dead spot, illuminating the road ahead very well. I am very happy with them. I would go as far as to say they are the best I have had on any car since my 1987 Volvo.... AND THEY WERE GOOD.

Weird! You must be the only person on here who is happy with the fabia2 projectors! Most have swapped the bulbs

Weird! You must be the only person on here who is happy with the fabia2 projectors! Most have swapped the bulbs

Ahh maybe not everyone has had to put up with the appalling lighting that our Merc offered... Maybe the last owner uprated my lighting before I bought it, who knows? I just know I am very happy with my Projection lighting and no longer have to use front fogs on the country roads to see my way home after dark.

Ask this chap for a shot of his KC Daylighters.

matt_savage_kc.jpg

Or this guy. I think he was having problems with the shutter cut off being too low as well. Common problem with newer Scoobies

csckx.jpg

But seriously if you think they are that bad, just up the wattage to 100w, use a lower K value light, I have obvioulsy yellow ones that are far superior to anything in rubbish weather. Even better than HID's which I find get "lost" in foggy or heavy rain.

Why do you think all street lights give off a very heavy yellow light? Higher contrast for the human eyes to work with so you can see better.

Same goes with yellow lensed goggles.

Edited by apmaman
  • Like 1

LOL - I love the projectors in my Fabia 2 facelift (2013). Much much better than the lighting in my old Fabia 1. The difference is like night and day! The best stock lighting in a car I have ever seen, actually.

Yes, yes and yes - they are worth the money!!!!

Edited by Kent (DK)

Why do you think all street lights give off a very heavy yellow light? Higher contrast for the human eyes to work with so you can see better.

Same goes with yellow lensed goggles.

Well your are right and your wrong with this statement. The main reason they are yellow in colour is because they are discharge lighting given off from sodium vapour. They are now mostly high pressure but you still find low pressure lighting in places and yes they do give better contrast but that isn't the main reason they were introduced. That was down to efficiency and the need to lower power consumption and they also have a long life. Today there is a move to LED lighting to lower cost even more. These are not yellow and are white LED's.

Edited by 4matt
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Sorry for the intrusion guys but seem appropiate to ask here rather than start a new topic..what projector lights can be used for the upgrade on a 2011 fabia 2 ?

Do the Roomster ones fit ?

Thank you and nice to meet you as it's my first post :)

--------

Daily runner:

Skoda Fabia Combi MK 2 (12.2011) , 1.6 TDI @ 75 HP

Everything else

Ford Fiesta RS1800

Sorry for the intrusion guys but seem appropiate to ask here rather than start a new topic..what projector lights can be used for the upgrade on a 2011 fabia 2 ?

Do the Roomster ones fit ?

Thank you and nice to meet you as it's my first post :)

--------

Daily runner:

Skoda Fabia Combi MK 2 (12.2011) , 1.6 TDI @ 75 HP

Everything else

Ford Fiesta RS1800

For clarity, are you looking to switch to projector type from reflector type?

The projector headlights on the Fabia are shockingly bad so I wouldn't bother. Just get some decent bulbs :-)

There's two types of Projector headlight on the Fabia!

The horrible 'Shutter' type that uses one 35w H7 bulb and a shutter to move the bean 'high' or 'low', used on the VRS and some Monty's... Then there's the 'Twin H7' version that has one H7 bulb in the Projector (low beam) and another in a reflector (high beam) Used in the Greenline and Elegance and an option on other models!

The 'Twin H7' type (also called the silver pack) are excellent on both High and Low beam, I have no complaints (I have a Greenline), However the 'Shutter' type are the ones that most people complain about!! The light is pitiful in both low and high beam due to a shutter moving the beam up and down, so no extra light is added on high beam!! The 'smoked' lens (also called the black pack) on these types doesn't help either.

Edited by Simoneale1973

The horrible 'Shutter' type that uses one 35w H7 bulb and a shutter to move the bean 'high' or 'low', used on the VRS and some Monty's... Then there's the 'Twin H7' version that has one H7 bulb in the Projector (low beam) and another in a reflector (high beam) Used in the Greenline and Elegance and an option on other models!

The 'Twin H7' type (also called the silver pack) are excellent on both High and Low beam, I have no complaints (I have a Greenline), However the 'Shutter' type are the ones that most people complain about!! The light is pitiful in both low and high beam due to a shutter moving the beam up and down, so no extra light is added on high beam!! The 'smoked' lens (also called the black pack) on these types doesn't help either.

I'd disagree slightly with that. We've had a 2011 fabia vRS with the twin "silver" type and now have a 2014 fabia vRS with the black pack shutter type. Both are horrendously poor performers, tbh the early twin light car wasn't any better. We upgraded the bulbs in our first fabia and now winter is approaching I'll be upgrading the ones in our current chariot :-)

• 3 weeks later...

I have fitted Halfords 120% brighter lamps to my headlights, they are still awful, I can barely see where I'm going at night. I fitted four of Halfords 90% brighter to my wife's 2009 Cmax, the dipped headlights on that are just amazing, the main beam just incredible. I have seen aftermarket 4000k HID's on ebay for around £42, I think at that price they are worth the risk as they could make what is a brilliant, fun, practical and economical car even better. I need an auto as a bike accident cost me an arm and this car averages 43-48 mpg over my 1250 miles a month commute and very much cuts it on the M25 :) Has anyone tried aftermarket HID's?

Slightly incorrect.

Black pack is on all montes but an option on VRS

Silver H4 reflectors are only standard on S spec.

Silver projectors with reflector high beam are standard on SE, Greenline (basically an SE iirc) and Elegance spec cars.

People do have problems with the blackpack lights, but it seems to generaoly be because theyre set up wrong from the factory

I have fitted Halfords 120% brighter lamps to my headlights, they are still awful, I can barely see where I'm going at night. I fitted four of Halfords 90% brighter to my wife's 2009 Cmax, the dipped headlights on that are just amazing, the main beam just incredible. I have seen aftermarket 4000k HID's on ebay for around £42, I think at that price they are worth the risk as they could make what is a brilliant, fun, practical and economical car even better. I need an auto as a bike accident cost me an arm and this car averages 43-48 mpg over my 1250 miles a month commute and very much cuts it on the M25 :) Has anyone tried aftermarket HID's?

I had them in the silver pack projectors for a while. Theyre good.. But eventually i couldnt be bothered so fitted Osram gold halogens.

I even had them in the high beam reflectors aswel as the dipped projectors for a while. Now once theyd warmed up they were absolutly brilliant. 4 x HIDS on at once. But they didnt last long as hids dont like cycling on/off. So it soon blew a burner. It wasnt ideal anyway. Took 10 seconds or so to warm up. But it was an experiment and it was awesome aslong as i was driving in the middle of the night with nobody else around