MAF unplugged, runs fine. New MAF, worse gain?

I have been having some issues with my car, i fitted new coils, plugs, full coil loom, injector seats, inlet gaskets. Still no better, i had done some logs with VCDS and MAF readings seemed all good. I then read on a post that the MAF logs dont tell the full story. The MAF that was on the car was a genuine recon approx 2 years ago so sort of dismissed it. One day i just thought id unplug the MAF see what happens, car drove much smoother. Got on the net straight away and got another genuine MAF ordered. Fitted it and staight away i realised my old MAF was probs OK. Ive unplugged the new MAF and its running smoother again??? Could this be because there ia unmetered air getting in? And with it unplugged its going of the base MAF tables?

I seem to remember a forum member having the same issue recently where the car ran fine with a new genuine MAF unplugged. I think it was a goosed cam position sensor at fault.

Cheers paul. Would the car not have starting issues if it was the cam position sensor? Or a fault code? Also it must be linked to the MAF somehow? Wonder if the maf and map sensors are linked? Any more help much appreciated, loosing interest in the car now, dont want to get rid.

Wish I could remember the post as he had exactly the same issue. With his MAF (new VAG) unplugged it ran fine, but MAF on it wasn't happy at all. I'm pretty sure it landed up being cam sensor related.

Cam position sensor throws a code and brings the engine light on, know this due to having a imtimmitant fault on mine

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Most of the engine sensors will throw a code or put the EML on if they become intermittent or short to ground. However sometimes as is the case with the coolant temp sensor, & the MAF as long as the ECU is getting a signal it doesn't throw a code.

Yes will do. Will try my mates maf as i know his defo works ok. Even with the old maf when i logged it has pretty much bang on G/S wise. Ive read it will run in open loop with it unplugged? Wonder what other sensors run in open loop with the maf??