Chassis upgrade

Brilliant write-up Rob. Gives people a good insight to handling mods that should be done.

Rear ARB is a must with proper bushes on the Octavia as the back is a bit light at times. Coilovers/Suspension Kits are personal preference based on what you are trying to achieve. I had Eibach Pro Coilover Kit on my 1st Octavia and couldnt fault it at all, but got rid of the 2nd before i had the chance to mod due to persistant problems.

Overall, your set-up would suit most i think. Comfort/Practicality/Looks/Useability.

Time to raid the piggy bank. :rofl:

• Like 1

Again thanks for the write up. Excellent useful information for everyone.

Car looks good now and with near all OE parts which I like too. I admit the standard alloys are very heavy. My Zeniths are too heavy tbh.

Great review, especially as what you want from car mods is exactly the same as me, just the sort of write-up that helps make your mind up when deciding what to do.

As with the comment above I'd also recommend Eibach coilovers - had them on my Fabia and they were super comfy and benefit from being stainless as well.

Cracking write up.

Had a quick shoofty on Ebay at the S3 wishbone kit. Bloody hell,they aint cheap. :sweat: . Bit confused by one place though, they were selling 2 types of kit and the only difference I could see was the addition of the ball joints but that kit was £200 extra. :think:

As with the comment above I'd also recommend Eibach coilovers - had them on my Fabia and they were super comfy and benefit from being stainless as well.

yep, eibach stuff is great quality and i did consider them - i couldn't find any info on how these would perform so it would have been another leap in the dark (like b16 were!). In contrast i had a couple of trusted recommendations on the h&rs, hence the decision.

Cracking write up.

Had a quick shoofty on Ebay at the S3 wishbone kit. Bloody hell,they aint cheap. :sweat: . Bit confused by one place though, they were selling 2 types of kit and the only difference I could see was the addition of the ball joints but that kit was £200 extra. :think:

S3/cupra alloy arms do come up used on ebay from time to time, there's one on there a the moment (item no: 170692676355) however for £100 i'd probably just buy two new ones - can't remember exact pricing but I'm pretty sure AKS sourced mine new for only a little bit more than that, which includes a new console and bushes.

The superpro ball joints retail about 160: http://www.awesomegti.com/superpro-front-camber-adjustable-ball-joints-mk5-mk6-golf-jetta-a3-s3-8p-leon-mk2-octavia-mk2

:thumbup:

Great post Rob - it's interesting to know what works in what way. I admire your approach and refusal to compromise on quality components.

I found both the 2UC option rear springs cracked on my old '04 PD140 Octy Elegance, so decided to shop around for a kit that would replicate the 2UC ride height, but with improved damping.The old dampers were fine, although the high speed rebound damping was definitely on the way out. I'm an ARDS instructor by trade so I spend enough time on track already to dictate that this car is for road use only, so I don't want a set-up any stiffer than OEM sports.

Ideally, I would have got a Bilstein B12 kit - trouble is I couldn't justify spending 25% of the car's value on a suspension kit!!

I eventually went for a Vogtland -35mm kit for £300 as I'd read good reviews on other make forums. The quality looks pretty good and it was easy enought to fit, and I included new OEM top mounts while I was at it. I wasn't expecting much - after all, you get what you pay for - but I have to say the car is transformed!

I think a lot is down to the progressive rate springs, the body control is a tad better and feels slightly stiffer at the rear so has improved the turn-in as a result. The composure over bumps is vastly improved. If you're on a particularly bad surface then the composure starts to ebb away but overall I think this is a great kit given the money.

The ride height has settled slightly since the attached photo was taken and now looks to be 10mm lower than the 2UC set up.

Ideally Audi S3 front wishbone bushes and a whiteline rear ARB are the next and final things on the menu!

post-104854-0-61866800-1371727621_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Todd's "runvag" wagon has those: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/219290-todds-dark-arrow-octavia-vrs-shagwagon/

From the pictures it's hard to tell - they look just like a polished version of the s3 arms but without putting them side by side you'd not be able to spot any geometry differences. The blurb talks about 1.5degrees caster additional so i'd guess they are closer to TT arms - either that or the it could be the offset console bush that gives you that?

Superpro is great stuff but those are pricey - new S3 arms including consoles and bushes are just over £100 each side iirc so a lot cheaper however the superpro kit does include ALK/polybush. I actually prefer mine as they look oe - i'm not a fan of polished stuff. :)

Also keep an eye out for Scirocco R, Cupra and R32 control arms. Basivcally any of the cars with the 345mm front brake setup have these to offset the extra weight of the larger brakes. TT is the one that differs slightly by having the adjustable ball joints.

Beware with these Top Mount options. I know of a few guys who have for instance upgraded to TTRS Top mounts thinking they were better only to find out they were actually identical and not worth the money or time.

Nice write up Rob.

Currently thinking about KW V1 for my octavia. My uncle has them on his mk2 hatch and the ride isn't too harsh. Though still tempted by bilstein b12

• 1 year later...

I was starting to worry that I am the only psychopath on the roads :-D

Your driving style seems to match mine - with addition of 2 years of karting and pimping Scottish Highlands with Subaru Impreza.

I wonder:

1. do you have problems with brakes overheating? (I can burn stock brakes under 5 minutes - ceramic brake pads last slightly longer)

2. H&R seems to not support officially Skoda - could you tell me how did you choose your coilovers, please?

On my Fabia - I used to have Weitec suspension + Powerflex (slightly stiffer than stock dampers). Now, I am looking for stiff adjustable coilovers for my new Octavia ( 80% mountain roads of Austria + 20% access roads in mountains). I am looking for control of compression and rebound. That is most problematic issue I have...right after burning brakes :-D

I don't look for comfort but feel of my Subaru Impreza (in limits, Skoda will never be Subaru ;-) suspension. Stiff, adjustable for mountain hillclimbs and access mixed roads with potholes and so on.

I was starting to worry that I am the only psychopath on the roads :-D

Your driving style seems to match mine - with addition of 2 years of karting and pimping Scottish Highlands with Subaru Impreza.

I wonder:

1. do you have problems with brakes overheating? (I can burn stock brakes under 5 minutes - ceramic brake pads last slightly longer)

2. H&R seems to not support officially Skoda - could you tell me how did you choose your coilovers, please?

On my Fabia - I used to have Weitec suspension + Powerflex (slightly stiffer than stock dampers). Now, I am looking for stiff adjustable coilovers for my new Octavia ( 80% mountain roads of Austria + 20% access roads in mountains). I am looking for control of compression and rebound. That is most problematic issue I have...right after burning brakes :-D

I don't look for comfort but feel of my Subaru Impreza (in limits, Skoda will never be Subaru ;-) suspension. Stiff, adjustable for mountain hillclimbs and access mixed roads with potholes and so on.

I don't do track days and I don't drive as hard on the road as i used to.. so no, i don't get overheating brakes.  The brembo upgrade was for me primarily about weight reduction, improved brake feel.  I would guess that the larger brembo caliper would help dissipate heat a bit better than stock, but it won't be massively different given it runs the same 312mm disc.  If you were to do track days though i would expect you've got much more choice of pad for the brembos which again might help reduce fade.

How did i choose H&R?  Very badly as you can see, i had four other setups before i got there :)   Choosing is a nightmare, and tbh the internet seems to make it harder, so many comments, all without comparative reference, on different platforms, different requirements, driving styles etc.  For the first vrs the Weitec i chose because they were a KW brand, lots of good feedback on this forum at the time about AP coils (also made by KW) - i chose the weitecs over AP based on their superior corrosion protection.   I did a lot more research for the second car and initially bought the adjustable Bilsteins based on some great reviews on the gti forums.  That is a great kit and if you're coming from a subaru and you like stiff cars, don't do a high motorway mileage like me then those might be perfect for you.   If you do trackdays those would be perfect.  The ride on the b16's is similar to the 2011 WRX STI I used to have.  What are the roads like where you are?  If they are relatively smooth (unlike the uK) then you'd be fine with those. 

ALthough you can adjust the damping, it'll never ride like a limo as the spring rate is always going to stay the same.

The H&R uses a bilstein made strut, monotube design like the b16 so its a super quality damper - the calibration on the h&r kit though is much more forgiving than the b16; you still have better body control vs. stock, but less crashy, improved ride - don't ask me how they manage to achieve that, it really is a clever setup.  Perfect for high-miles on uk tarmac.  The H&R are not adjustable for bump/rebound though - they are only adjustable for height.  I would expect that back-to-back a car on H&R would not keep with an identical car on a track running b16s..  but the guy in the H&R car would have a more comfortable ride home afterwards.

Hope that helps?

:)

• Like 2

I just re-read my original post above - the only thing i changed after that was written was the rear ARB.  I got fedup with the autotech squeaking so i replaced that with an H&R.  That one has teflon inserts in the bush to avoid the squeaking issue, much quieter, however the h&r is solid so weights a bit more than the autotech.

I don't do track days and I don't drive as hard on the road as i used to.. so no, i don't get overheating brakes.  The brembo upgrade was for me primarily about weight reduction, improved brake feel.  I would guess that the larger brembo caliper would help dissipate heat a bit better than stock, but it won't be massively different given it runs the same 312mm disc.  If you were to do track days though i would expect you've got much more choice of pad for the brembos which again might help reduce fade.

How did i choose H&R?  Very badly as you can see, i had four other setups before i got there :)   Choosing is a nightmare, and tbh the internet seems to make it harder, so many comments, all without comparative reference, on different platforms, different requirements, driving styles etc.  For the first vrs the Weitec i chose because they were a KW brand, lots of good feedback on this forum at the time about AP coils (also made by KW) - i chose the weitecs over AP based on their superior corrosion protection.   I did a lot more research for the second car and initially bought the adjustable Bilsteins based on some great reviews on the gti forums.  That is a great kit and if you're coming from a subaru and you like stiff cars, don't do a high motorway mileage like me then those might be perfect for you.   If you do trackdays those would be perfect.  The ride on the b16's is similar to the 2011 WRX STI I used to have.  What are the roads like where you are?  If they are relatively smooth (unlike the uK) then you'd be fine with those. 

ALthough you can adjust the damping, it'll never ride like a limo as the spring rate is always going to stay the same.

The H&R uses a bilstein made strut, monotube design like the b16 so its a super quality damper - the calibration on the h&r kit though is much more forgiving than the b16; you still have better body control vs. stock, but less crashy, improved ride - don't ask me how they manage to achieve that, it really is a clever setup.  Perfect for high-miles on uk tarmac.  The H&R are not adjustable for bump/rebound though - they are only adjustable for height.  I would expect that back-to-back a car on H&R would not keep with an identical car on a track running b16s..  but the guy in the H&R car would have a more comfortable ride home afterwards.

Hope that helps?

:)

Thanks Rob. I've read your mods...also on Piston Heads.

It is hard to find a feedback because most people are tuners who do it for looks. I am amateur racing driver - my intention is legal racing car for mortals. I don't like driving expensive car because you are scared to drive it :-D

I don't do tracks either - circuit racing is for girls. Big boys do rally and hillclimbs because there is no safety zones ;-) Your protection is only big balls :-D

Where I drive...Austrian Autobahns are usually as smooth as racing circuit so doesn't matter how hard suspension do you have. Czech roads are very similar to military training grounds - potholes and speciality of czech highways is 2-3cm steps between concrete blocks :-D It gives you feel of old railroads :-D My friend damaged alloy rims on this lovely highways.

Then comes Austrian mountain roads...it is usually damaged and more like proper mixed rally stage...asphalt...gravel...potholes...huge holes.

I have got Weitec on my Fabia but it is pretty soft. This setup is rubbish because it is women shopping car with little options to tweak suspensions.

I am looking for stiff suspension. I am thinking about your mentioned Bilstein coilovers with Eibach Anti-Roll kit. I am look for a complete system. Bilstein made a revolution few decades ago. Bilstein/Eibech is most likely one company I suspect. They make big claims...question is - is it really so good?

I was thinking about KW V3 suspension kit because it has got rebound and compression control. Question is - is it worthy to spend 2000€ on coilovers for Octavia? It is marketing...if I recall my MTB Downhill career...Unless you are constantly changing stiffness of springs and oil viscosity...rebound is pointless. I could play with my fork for every race...but in car?

Most of time I drive on highways, 20% of time is mountain roads.

I'll most likely buy Bilstein B16 based on your feedback. I don't mind stiff suspension - I am used to balls bouncing from downhill :-D I don't have family so I don't need comfort. I just want my car stick to the road.

Weitec on my Fabia with stock stabilisators/sway/anti-roll bars...lots of understeer...corrected partially by pressure in tires...still it is just better stock suspension.

next problem is heigh....I most likely want what doesn't exist...keep the same height or slightly lower (max. 20mm) with stiff suspension. We are working on suspension spacers...my friend uses them for offroad...if I survive this experiment...I will write about it :-D

I also wonder if you ever used wheel spacers - to get wider wheel base (unsure about words in English)

I've big problems with brakes...I was doing karting for 2.5 years and learnt racing style braking. I overheat stock brakes under five minutes - I burn them to be precise...stock brake fluid boiled. Ceramic brake pads and grooved disc helped slightly...My current project is brakes cooling...I will most likely go for AP Racing 4 piston callipers...stock one piston floating calliper is rubbish...It doesn't dissipate heat at all. Well, it is not racing car right ;-)

I will have to make some compromises...slightly bigger disc + 4 pistons calliper + air flow/cooling...Fun is price of brakes...once again...if you buy car for 7000€...buy racing brakes for 3000€ :-D Despite I drive like idiot (quotation of my mother) - I am still sane with upgrades...perhaps years of racing and wasting lots of money on useless rubbish and lots of money in R&D...My MTB DH prototype costed me about 10,000€ during 2.5 years of racing.

• Like 2

I forgot to mention...I got some "secrets" of Skoda Motorsport from published books.

Until I found this post ...well I wanted to make my own wishbone.

My next project is custom hub because stock hubs + bearings are weakest spot of the car.

I have all in my head...then I have to pimp it in CAD...then make it if I get chance on my CNC machine.

We will see - said Zen master.

KW V3 is an option i considered - its a good kit -  yes they have separate bump/rebound adjustment where the bilstein has a single control wheel.  I choose the B16 over the KW V3 as the bilstein kit is adjustable on the car (you just reach in behind the wheel and click up/down - no need even to lift the car off the ground) where i think the KW needs to come off the car for adjustment.. ?    Also, i'm not a chassis engineer so i don't want to spend all my time searching for that "perfect" setup - much easier to go with the 10 pre-sets that the bilstein boffins have worked out already for you.

check out the s3 hubs - i think these are also alloy so more weight saving to be had - might be easier than milling your own.

I didn't run spacers (don't like them personally) other than a short period when i had neptunes as winters to clear my brembo calipers.  the neuspeeds were wider and lower offset so they filled the arch much better without the need for the spacers.

If i was building a car for the driving you describe above, i'd go B16, H&R anti roll bars, s3/cupra arms/bushes, adjustable camber ball joints (get -1.5 or so on the front and it transforms the turn in), alcon or ap brake kit on the front, s3 rears, light rims + a map or some other power mods.   That would be a very nice car :)

• Like 1

Thanks Rob, I've to think about money issue. Octavia costed me 6000€ and all planed customisation cost more than car :-D

I still not sure - I am still Subaru Impreza man no mater what ;-)

There is also problem with insurance - Czech Republic doesn't allow so called tuning so nobody will insure your car...unfortunately, stealing in CZ is quite common. I cannot insure my car in Austria (there is allowed 30% modifications of car) because I don't have a permanent address there.

KW is not possible to adjust on road.

Regarding the hub - I am more thinking about durability with integrated spacers. I am thinking more about complete solution - what I've seen so far, Octavia has got pretty weak hub/bearing construction compared to my old Fabia. Sure, it is better for replacement but...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rob could you mention part numbers for your H&R suspension setup. More than one option was found when I go-ogled it. 

Sorry Aby - didn't see this until now.  

The Part number was: 29258-1.  Its the 2wd, kombi incl. RS, 1Z, 55mm strut version you need.  http://www.h-r.com/en/katalog/index.html 

:thumbup: