Auto lights but no auto wipers?

My 2011 Superb SE has auto/tunnel lights.

It therefore has the windscreen mounted sensor.

However, it doesn't have auto wipers (normal intermittent only).

The wifes Octavia Scout has both auto lights and wipers. To me the sensor on the windscreen looks identical.

Can I therefore activate auto wipers on my Superb using VCDS or is it as I suspect not that simple?

On my 2012 MY Superb 1.4 Tsi 'S' (with auto lights, which may have been an added option), I notice my wipers appear to vary according to road speed, and will go from constant to intermittent when stopped at a set of lights.

However, there is no 'automatic' position marked on the stalk.

So - does the variable feature mean I have auto wipers? - They certainly only seem speed-dependent - the presence or absence of rain on the screen doesn't seem to make a difference. Or like you say, Phil, do I simply have to initialize something in VCDS (which I have).

There is no "AUTO" marking on the wiper stalk, even if the car has OEM rain sensor. The wiper stalk is the same.

• Like 1

As above, there is no auto setting. With the stalk in the intermittent position, that's when I get the auto wipers. The switch on the top of the stalk changes the sensitivity to the rain sensor.

... and will go from constant to intermittent when stopped at a set of lights.

This is a feature - mine do it too.

As per silver1011, I also have auto lights but no auto wipers, however I have GTechniq G1 applied to the front screen so don't particularly want auto wipers activating.

If it has the right relay then it can just be activated.

If not then you would need to swap the relay over.

Phil

Thanks Phil, a drive over to yours with some beer tokens might be in order :happy:

Not all UK specification Superbs have the auto wipers as standard.

My Superb is an 'SE' which is only the next model above the entry level 'S'.

Whether you have auto wipers or standard intermittent wipers if they are on constantly (either due to the amount of rain on the sensor, or manually selected) when you come to a halt the wipers stop or slow down. When you set off again they return back to the original speed.

Cheers mate, I'm hoping to fit a HID kit too soon so might try and turn off the cold-start diagnostics if I'm feeling brave.

I'll be in touch!

:thumbup:

No worries. Did it on the Octavia. The difference was amazing and the coding worked straight away.

Phil

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update on this.

We just had the laptop on silver1011's superb SE. Got auto wipers activated with one click. Just needed to untick the box that said something along the lines of "rain sensor inactive".

Phil

• Like 3

Is there any way to slow them down?? My wipers in auto seem to go insanely fast no matter what position the speed adjuster for intermittent is in. Invariably I end up flicking them up into the slow speed on setting and then back o intermittent when its eased off.

Cheers

Steve ;)

You're more than welcome. Please it was so simple!

Is there any way to slow them down?? My wipers in auto seem to go insanely fast no matter what position the speed adjuster for intermittent is in. Invariably I end up flicking them up into the slow speed on setting and then back o intermittent when its eased off.

Cheers

Steve ;)

When used as Auto the little dial on the top is no longer for the speed but the sensitivity. The speed is controlled automatically.

Phil

You might need to clean your windscreen properly on the outside, or just a new set of wiper blades. That might cure the "over active" sensor.

For anyone interested in doing it.

It was in 09 Central electrics. Then on the drop-down menu choose the bottom one (something like ALS). Choose the long coding helper.

Then it's in the first byte- untick the box that says "rain sensor inactive".

Done!

Phil

.... Then on the drop-down menu choose the bottom one (something like ALS). ...

Yep RLS, it's german for "rain and light sensor"

• 1 year later...

For anyone interested in doing it.

It was in 09 Central electrics. Then on the drop-down menu choose the bottom one (something like ALS). Choose the long coding helper.

Then it's in the first byte- untick the box that says "rain sensor inactive".

Done!

Phil

Hi guys, first post here so be gentle! Would really like to activate the auto wipers on my car (hired an elegance Octavia on holiday and loved them on that). After reading this post took the car to local tuning/diagnostic guy to uncheck this box but he couldn't find it. Only similar tick box was "Rain Light Sensor Installed". He reckoned if he unchecked this box I would probably loose my auto lights too so left it checked. Any ideas anyone?