Silly question - sound proofing bonet matt

I think it is for diesels only.

That's what I thought. But today some Polish chap in his 1.8TSI destroyed my world by mentioning he's got one :devil:

I'm not at all clear what a sound mat would achieve over the already super quiet and smooth 1.8TSi

In terms of sound proofing, I don't care as it's already, as you mentioned, very quiet. However in terms of keeping heat in the engine bay, there is a lot to be said. Based on my previoud experiences i.e. Ford Focus, fitting such matt will allow car to warm up much quicker in cold days.

Edited by lmb

And neither does mine.

As a `PS` to that...I remember asking about it at the time and was told that they were fitted to the diesel models only due to the increased noise level.

My MY2012 1.8TSI Elegance has one, but only because I fitted it myself (which is a very easy job BTW).

Do you believe it makes an appreciable difference then?

My MY2012 1.8TSI Elegance has one, but only because I fitted it myself (which is a very easy job BTW).

Was there any room for extra insulation in there between the bonnet and the mat, if one was so inclined to do such a mod?

Do you believe it makes an appreciable difference then?

Just been out to have a look under the bonnet of my 2012MY 1.4 TSi. There is a black sound absorbent felt pad fixed to the central area of the bonnet - maybe 70cm x 90 cm? -. Is this the pad you are referring to, or is there a heavier pad on the diesels?

I certainly know that on the 1.4, the engine is so quiet at idle that many front seat passengers believe the car has stop-start fitted. I've had to tell them "look at the rev-counter" to convince them the engine is running (and that is without music or the climate control fan on)

I certainly know that on the 1.4, the engine is so quiet at idle that many front seat passengers believe the car has stop-start fitted. I've had to tell them "look at the rev-counter" to convince them the engine is running (and that is without music or the climate control fan on)

Yeah, I've found the same thing with my 1.8. I once went into a petrol forecourt and filled my car not noticing that the engine was still running! I'm not sure I'd bother with this mod even if it were available.

Yeah, I've found the same thing with my 1.8. I once went into a petrol forecourt and filled my car not noticing that the engine was still running! I'm not sure I'd bother with this mod even if it were available.

It's not about keeping car quiet, it's to allow the car to warm up quicker. However I don't mind to take engine's noise a few tones down. I find it a little bit annoying when going uphill on a low gear - I wouldn't mind the sound of proper engine but this one reminds me of lawn mower :bandit:

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...