Daytime running lights

Remove the fuse box cover located under the steering wheel and you'll find a switch in the fuse box itself. Simply switch 'on' and your DRLs will work. The procedure is also covered in the handbook. ;)

Funny My Monte came with the lights switched on.

I've run through all the lights and I can't see that those bulbs are used at any other time other than as DRL. Is that correct?

• 7 months later...

Anyway of turning them off fully as I checked my fusebox and theres no purple rocker swtich (the car is a 2014 on a 63 plate) as I'm not a fan of these lights.......or have they got to be on by law if the car has them fitted from new...????

You do not have to have them on by law.

No idea which Fuse,

but hopefully there is one you can remove that just stops the DRL's from going on.

Someone with knowledge of the Fuse will be along i hope,

and not those to say how they are a Safety Measure and all that stuff.

(it is dull here, and i was out, most have proper lights on, except those that seem to think Brights DRL's shining at you are a good idea.

Worst today other than an Evogue is the Renault Clio with them set near the midde of the car.)

George

There should be a switch in the fuse box under the steering wheel that switches them off. If I remember correctly it's on the right side of the fuses (it is on mine anyway). Mine isn't purple it's black.

There should be a switch in the fuse box under the steering wheel that switches them off. If I remember correctly it's on the right side of the fuses (it is on mine anyway). Mine isn't purple it's black.

There isn't a switch like said in my other post......theres a hole where there might have been a switch in a earlier model, I have tracked down the fuse number 35 but it also says it may run another item... 

And yes George they are a pita....

If it was dark, dull or poor light conditions then the OP could switch on lights to let others see.

Like good drivers do.

DRL's are there for the stupid and none thinking driver are they not.

If they are Daylight Running Lights, or Daytime Running Lights,

why are they on with the Engine on, yet the car can be stationary stopped at the roadside in broad daylight say..

This day and age could have then just light as a car moves.

Blind People that can not see cars or vehicles can not see lights. 

Maybe they are designed with the correct brightness for Guide Dogs to identify.

• Like 1

I've managed for yrs without any problems they never use to have these on cars back in the day when I use to have my 2.8i capri....(yes I'm that old...lol) it's just these days they come up with all these ideas of putting this and that on cars.......these lights don't make the cars any safer it just gives someone back at the factory a job...lol coming up with silly ideas.....sorry for the rant not aimed at anyone....just venting...lol from wot I can tell theres a switch on cars from 2012 back and anyone with a 2013 on has no choice in the matter (I'll ask someone at Skoda when it go's in for it's first check up)

You may be able to turn them off via VAGCOM, ask the question in the "Diagnostics & VCDS" Section of the forum, all you then need to do if it can be done is either convince your dealer to do it for you or someone locally who has the VAGCOM lead and software.

You might also get them to do some other changes for you at the same time :-)

I am old enough to remember seeing people drive the first Volvos with lights on all the time.

We all commented,

those without a clue still were flashing them years later.

They were inoffensive, still are, do the Job, Front and rear in the Sun or daytime,

still used almost no Battery Power.

I can not believe how many faulty DRL's are around on cars, and i do not mean Cornering DRL's or Cornering Fogs.

It used to be cars with a Sidelight or Head light out,

now near new cars with only one DRL working.

It is snowing and i am off out for a Jaunt.

Looking forward to those with Fogs or Spots on in snow that do not like being flashed.

If they want to play who can pee the highest, they need to learn.

I see a lot of members are fitting LED bulbs to their DRL's do these bulbs run cooler the reason I'm asking is if mine can't be turned off because there share the fuse with stop/ start radio systems as if they run cooler there won't be so much heat build up in the units hence no misting problems..???

I've got LEDs in mine, you only get slight misting after you switch them off but it clears within 5 mins, same thing used to happen to the dual lights on my last motorbike.

It only seems to happen when the weather's been cooler, it's never been a problem though.

• Like 1

I've noticed an alarming number of cars around at dusk and night that only have the DRLs on. I assume the drivers can see that they have forward illumination (especially when the DRLs are a bank of bright LEDs) and instrument panels are often lit by default now, so they just forget to switch lights on, resulting in no tail lights on at all.

Is there a reason why DRLs are so bright? Isn't a single marker light sufficient?

• Like 1

The amount of new vw transporters around with 1 drl working is unreal.

Maybe its coming into a legal requirement now? So they cant turn them off?

As far as i was aware it was just 'new vehicle models must be fitted with after 2011'. The fabia hasnt actually needed them up to now. Hence my 2013 fabia se doesnt have them. (Optional extra if you buy fogs i think)

Edited by Otaylor38

Yup. The dash is the give away isnt it. If your in a well lit area you cant see your headlights on the road anyway.

I think drl's are just another euro requirement that nobody actually needs.

Its a shame really. Motorcycles have had permanent dipped beam (cant turn em off) on for about 10 years now, to try and help us stand out, as we often arent seen and pulled out on. But now drls are being fitted to cars, i dont think motorcycles will stand out any more, or atleast not as much

• Like 2

Apart from the Maxi-Dot, Speedo and Rev needles (So I can see where the needles are pointing, but not what they are pointing at!! :D ) and the power button on my Stereo, nothing is illuminated on the Dash/Binnacle until the Sidelights (etc) are switched on!

I know I have DRL's, but just ignore them as I don't need to do anything with them to turn them on or off!...

I still put my headlights on whan Raining, Foggy (and Fog's if needed), Dusk and obviously at night! It's something I do automatically and have never forgotten! People just don't seem to have been taught things like this in their lessons!!  :@

I have seen a few times at 5:30am on the M4 some complete ********* that are driving on DRL's as they have just come from a very highly lit street/junction onto the badly lit (up to Reading anyway) Motorway!! I saw some bloke nearly get squashed by a Lorry the other week, as he was on DRL's and the lorry didn't see him till his reflectors illuminated! the Lorry swerved into the middle lane nearly taking my bonnet off!, as I accelerated to get past him to let him know he was a plank, only to see the car he'd swerved round, pootling along at 50mph with just a few LED's illuminating his path!!  :wall:

• Like 1