Daytime running lights

Gazbull17, on 18 Feb 2014 - 12:08, said:

Don't think it needs fixing, it's not a fault, it's quite common and clears up after a few minutes.

Now there's the thing mine don't clear in a few minutes......I've been back from the dealer 3 hours now and they are still misted....I drove all the way from South Wales where I bought the car to Scotland where I live (don't ask why we bought it down there) and the were misted for 2 days.....

Edited by Sixty7

Sorry then, don't know why they're doing it so much.

Mine had a slight misting on Sunday when I started washing it but it cleared after 5-10 mins but I do have multi SMD LEDs fitted, don't know if that makes a difference though.

Gazbull17, on 18 Feb 2014 - 14:07, said:

Sorry then, don't know why they're doing it so much.

Mine had a slight misting on Sunday when I started washing it but it cleared after 5-10 mins but I do have multi SMD LEDs fitted, don't know if that makes a difference though.

Maybe the LED's run cooler than the stock bulbs...... :wonder: They also checked my headlights and said they were ok and within spec......but I think I'm going with brighter bulbs on the recommendations of members on here.....can't live with them in stock form scary to drive at night especially when u can't see where u are going.... :o

Maybe the LED's run cooler than the stock bulbs...... :wonder: They also checked my headlights and said they were ok and within spec......but I think I'm going with brighter bulbs on the recommendations of members on here.....can't live with them in stock form scary to drive at night especially when u can't see where u are going.... :o

I have 80w CREE in mine and they mist up but clear after about 10 minutes.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Just got back from the dealership and they are replacing both sides fog/DRL units under warranty on Thursday, some how I don't think this will cure the problem of misting :think: 

Please let me know if this does as it looks like I haven't cleaned the car properly and is a source of annoyance!

If the deactivation u put up don't work for my car then the fuse is being pulled.....I don't like the DRL's then perhaps I can get on and enjoy the car....

How can anyone be so offended by DRL'S? You don't see them from inside the car and they are a safety feature

• Like 3

How can anyone be so offended by DRL'S? You don't see them from inside the car and they are a safety feature

I agree, every car eventually will have to have them fitted but I can't understand why you can't enjoy a car because it has DRLs, whether they're on or off the car doesn't drive or behave any different.

• Like 1

They have a place but only in winter time (should be able to switch them on/off)......during the summer months it just looks wrong for a car to have it's lights on during this time...(I'm old skool.....I know when to turn my lights on and don't need to have them on all the time) the fuse on my Monte for the DRL's is a shared one the other item is start/stop radio.....what ever that is.....and I checked again today there is deffo no switch to turn them on/off so I'll ask the dealer on Thursday see what his thought are.........the thing is it's obviously a personal thing......I like to have my lights on during the night time and not during the day time..... 

Fair shout. I think it perhaps benefits people who dont put their lights on until its pitch black. But for the most part of us, who are actually interested in driving, its annoying because we automatically turn our lights on when we need to.

It will defo benefit some people though. As my dad says about driving/riding 'expect people to do anything, because they will. And ride defensively and accordingly'. Some peoples minds just arent good at driving, and this includes turning lights on

It's the first car I've had with DRLs, I'm not for them or against them, it doesn't bother me if I have them or not, all I'm saying is how can it affect your enjoyment if you can't see them.

It's going to be EU ruling that they're fitted as standard so there'll no getting away from them.

• Like 1

It can effect you in a vRS, because if you have them on, there are often people Flashing you, or doing the long flash, the one that means you are a D1ck.

My area is where other drivers tell you in no uncertain terms, You are a D1ck. by using Full Beam.

What offends with DRL's is unlikely to be just a car in Broad Day Light with them on. 

Cars are all around with LIghts on,

Sidelights or Headlights at different angles coming towards you, in the dark etc.  That is life.

But some cars can sit at junctions one facing up hill and the car opposite just there, say waiting to ove at traffic lights or a crossing.

everyone else has lights on it is gloomy maybe.

And the car sitting with inappropriate for the weather and visibility has these DRL's, not just standard even, but with upgraded bulbs.

Sitting there unaware that their lights mean the vision of others is being effected.

Be that a Pedestrian  or cyclist not illuminated by the cars DRL's just the glaring lights that have different beams from even someone with Full Beam on.

If someone forgets to put lights on or to dip, you can Flash to let them know or help make them aware.

Some with DRL's on are just oblivious, who knows what they think as people flash them or, more likely some have no idea anyone flashes them,

after all they have no idea it is lighting up time, that is Lighting up to the front and rear.

Mostly the problem with DRL's are those that are oblivious to what they have on,

& now those with DRL's and only the one on. there are those that drive with only sidelights and yiou seee them for weeks always with a faulty light bulb.

Those with a faulty DRL really stand out a miles, i think there are dozens currently driving around where i stay with faulty DRL's.

Loads of Double Dab Pickups, and the newest Ford Pickup seams to have faulty lights while still very new.

• Like 1

Aye u can get away from it buy a older car....I like my classics plenty of cars I'd drive about in that don't have these lights.....on a different note being a biker as well we've had our lights turned on automatically since 2002 (don't quote me on this) but I have had older bikes with a switch which gives u the choice (theres that word again..lol) choice........Gazbull ur right u can't see it from inside the car so therefore it can't do any harm......wot ****es me off is when u get out and see the mist/condensation on the inside of the lens (which can in time turn into a puddle of water) and doesn't look good no matter wot anyone says.....I took the car to show my m8 last week...very nice car he says......but u want to take it back and get ur fog lights checked all the condensation isn't right....his words not mine.....that's my point whether it's in the owners manual or not it's wrong and SKODA should have nipped this in the bud and come up with a fix.......(this is not a pop at anyone just venting)  

If you don't like the DRLs and can't remove the fuse then just remove the whole unit, tape up the harness so it's not loose then buy some blank covers that are fitted to Fabias without Fogs and DRLs, bingo, problem solved.

I can't understand all the fuss about them, not on the Monte anyway, the vRS is a different matter which I do understand.

No one complained about Volvos through the years where the headlights were on all the time so why is it different now, car manufacturers aren't doing it for the hell of it, EU law states they have to have them so just embrace change instead of getting worked up about it.

Sorry if I don't appear to be sympathetic but I just don't get what all the fuss is about.

• Like 3

I want the fog light just not the DRL's but I suppose I could just disconnect them and tape the wire up at the back....mmmmmm but then a bloody light would come on the dash....... :wall:  (no idea if it would) lol

Gazbull if they have to stay on they have to stay on.........thinking about it now it's probably the misting that ****es me off more that the dam lights.....lol 

• Like 1

It is different now because they are not like the Volvos were.

http://theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/daytime-running-lights.html

The Daytime bit is often lost in translation, it should be Daylight, good light, not Daytime in poor light or visibility. IMO.

**Dim Dip was actually quite good i think on the cars that got them, but they did not suit what other EU/EEC countries wanted.**

A car took my leg off on January 11th many moons ago at 5.30 in the early evening, i had my headlight on .

snow at the side of the road.

Just before he crossed my path that was an empty side of the road going into the city against the rush hour traffic,

he indicated.

2 flashes of a white Indicator Bulb on a Ford, where the Orange Lense had faded.

He hit the crash bar on my bike and it cut my leg off between the Engine Bar and the tank.

it flew over the wall and landed at a ladies door..

Funnily i have been aware of car lights & how people use them ever since.

Indicators particularly.