Daytime running lights

Here's a picture of mine this morning.

They're multi SMD type LEDs, they're barrel shaped with about 50 SMDs attached and look so much like OEM LED DRLs when on and give off a slightly blue white light.

attachicon.gifMonty3.JPG

Looks like they use the reflector nicely too!! unlike some of the Cree ones, though there are now some Cree ones that have LED's on the side too, but they are 3 times the price of these!!

As I said... if they're crap at lease its only £12 not £35 :)

As suspected!... they are a Steaming pile of poo!!!

Plugged them in and the Bulb warning on my dash came on (apparently the DRL's on a Greenline are monitored!!), and there was no illumination on the LED's what so ever!! do you think I can get a refund?, or am I stuck with a pair of SMD/LED DRL bulbs that I can't use!?!

On a bigger annoyance, one of the OEM bulbs (the passenger side DRL, which has been in and out of many puddles recently) has just popped!!! so I'm off to Halfrauds in the morning to get a new bulb! :(

Guest garpat32

I'm guessing you probably know mate, but have you tried taking the LED bulbs out and turning through 180 and trying again? The LEDs are polarity sensitive ie have a + and - side (like a battery)

Cant help with the error though, guess they arent canbus error free like the advert. You'd get a refund via paypal, but after paying postage back to the seller.

Not much help. sorry :wonder:

Yep! Tried 180degrees, even swapped em over (Left to Right and Right to Left) then 180degrees again. Nowt! :(

Nipped out too Halfrauds, now have a new set of 'Long Life' P21's Halogens in there for the princely sum of £3.49 (10% of the Cree LED's :D )

Edited by Simoneale1973

Just had the local Skoda dealership on phone just for their follow up to the work they carried out the replacement of the fog light bulbs.........they had found droplet's of water (condensation) inside the unit so took it upon themselves to change these instead of just drying out the units.......when I tried to explain the reason for them misting/fogging it was like me bashing my head again a wall, he only started to grasp it when I told him that since we have had the car 2 weeks we haven't used the fog light........then there was a pause followed by a speech about everything being acceptable as is stated by wots written in the owners manual........then he go's on to tell me how the headlights are bang on, to which I tell him they are dangerous as they are set to low and the stock bulbs range of about 30ft (that's being generous) just cuts off abruptly and that the high beam is only marginally better lol I was telling him about the adjusters screws on top of each headlight unit that can raise the beams so he said why don't I raise them to which I said would it not invalidate my warranty..??? to which he say no....................so I've got some Can Bus error free Led bulbs to replace the stock bulbs and and also got replacement headlight bulbs coming Bosch 90 plus coming and I'll adjust the adjuster screws as well while I'm at it (anti clockwise to raise them so I've been told)     

And just how much per hour do we pay Dealers for servicing/repairing our motors.

When you have muppets like that how can you know anything is being done right.

Seems I need to come out of retirement, again.

One poor guy on a motorbike site said he paid £170 for a small service. Oil & filter......and check over.

Expensive dealer sites, more white collar workers than working staff=expensive hourly rates.

I just shudder.

Edited by Carlo diesel

I'm a biker and do my owner servicing on my bikes, also get m8's and m8's m8's asking can I do bits n bobs for them because the dealerships are rip offs, I'd do the car myself but we have 3 yrs free servicing so bugger it, they can do it, the cars under warranty so if they balls it up then they can fix it............but I know where ur coming from......  

I do my own servicing on the bike too. Its silly how much dealers charge, and atleast by doing it yourself you know exactly what youve done and that its right.

I take the car to the dealers though. I want a fully stamped book, and no quibble warranty work if anything goes wrong. So ill pay a dealer, for now.

You've reminded me that my DRLs fogged up when new, but after one bulb went and I took both units out to look, it seemed to fix the problem (I'm talking a year without misting).

Is it worth checking it is seated properly and the rubber seal is correctly seated?  Just a thought, as mine was resolved after that.

As for bulbs etc, I am thinking of the headlight upgrade, not bothered about the DRL bulbs, as I can't see them and they don't do a great deal.  No one has flashed me for having "fog lights" on yet, but then nearly every car I see around here has DRLs (some are obvious LED strips, some less so) and then there are still the ones who drive around with front fogs on....(you can tell - either the car is too old to have DRLs, or they have headlights on AND "driving lights" - either way, not DRLs).

I was pulled in my '89 Sierra once upon a time, as the switch to turn on the front fogs had broken and would activate at each bump.  I proved it to the copper by banging the dash, which turned off the lights.  I then had to promise to fix it within 7 days, but no producer - benefit of the doubt from him that time.

I'm sticking with normal Halogens in my DRL's, much cheaper, I can change them 10 times (or more) for the price of one set of Cree LED's :) and as PDIBK said... 

not bothered about the DRL bulbs, as I can't see them and they don't do a great deal.

Never noticed if mine Fogged up or not!, but (apart from being covered in puddle muck) they are nice and clear now!

I will, however, upgrade my Dip/Main H7's (of which the Greenline has 2x sets) to a set of Nightbreakers for a whiter/stronger headlight... :D

Edited by Simoneale1973

Right no more DRL's for me took the fuse out like it states in my owners manual.......no adverse affects car still runs ok and everything still works ok so I'm a happy boy now so I can now get on and enjoy the car....thank phac...:) 

• 1 month later...

Gonna give another set a go.... (I can't seem to stop trying!!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I0NFZUE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

zSQ5EV0.jpg

This time £6.98 so they don't break the bank. They are identical to a set on ebay that have the Ballast Resistors built in (my next stop if these don't work)

Will report back once fitted... :)

Gonna give another set a go.... (I can't seem to stop trying!!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I0NFZUE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

zSQ5EV0.jpg

This time £6.98 so they don't break the bank. They are identical to a set on ebay that have the Ballast Resistors built in (my next stop if these don't work)

Will report back once fitted... :)

They look the same as what I have in mine, look good when fitted and not had any errors with them.

They look the same as what I have in mine, look good when fitted and not had any errors with them.

But I've had that before with some £12quid ones of ebay!... and Errors galore, plus they didn't even light up!! (see above)  :wait:

Mine have never failed and they've been in about 9-10 months now.

They were Canbus Error Free as well so no warning lights or flickering, you must've had a dodgy set.

As mentioned in an earlier post, a guy stopped me in a supermarket car park a while ago to ask how they were LED as he loved the look of them, told him what type to look for on FleaBay and he was gonna order some.

Mine have never failed and they've been in about 9-10 months now.

They were Canbus Error Free as well so no warning lights or flickering, you must've had a dodgy set.

As mentioned in an earlier post, a guy stopped me in a supermarket car park a while ago to ask how they were LED as he loved the look of them, told him what type to look for on FleaBay and he was gonna order some.

Link dude.....Please.!

Just tried to find them on EBay but it was a long time ago so can't find the exact ones, they were about £8, UK seller and have about 40-50 SMDs in each one.

I've always bought Canbus Error free ones, even with the interior LEDs and not had any problems apart from one w5w bulb which went dim, they sent a new set out FOC.

I'll look back thru my EBay account on the laptop and try and find which ones and who the seller was.

• Like 1

Nope! :@

I have no idea what is different between my car and anyone else's!!!  :envy:

Put them in, they illuminated (this time) but so did the little orange 'Bulb Warning' light on the dash! Strange thing being I didn't get any message on the Maxi-Dot to tell me what is wrong!! or which bulb was not working!  :wall:

Back on standard P21's again!  :'(

**Edit**

Wouldn't be anything to do with the full set of LED bulbs in my Interior cluster?? I was under the opinion that the interior lights were not monitored!!  :wait:

Edited by Simoneale1973

Yep!!  :wait:

It must have been the 'cheap' interior LED's causing a problem in the CANBUS system!

I just swapped the old w5w's and Festoon back into the cluster, then popped the LED's back in the DRL's... and NO BULB WARNING LIGHT!!  :S

Gonna keep an eye on it  :peek: but I think that's it!!  :yes:

pQR2Ure.jpg

H82PHSO.jpg

Should stop idiots claiming they "Didn't see me" when they pull out on me in Daylight!!

Yep!!  :wait:

It must have been the 'cheap' interior LED's causing a problem in the CANBUS system!

I just swapped the old w5w's and Festoon back into the cluster, then popped the LED's back in the DRL's... and NO BULB WARNING LIGHT!!  :S

Gonna keep an eye on it  :peek: but I think that's it!!  :yes:

pQR2Ure.jpg

H82PHSO.jpg

Should stop idiots claiming they "Didn't see me" when they pull out on me in Daylight!!

They're the same bulbs in my DRLs as well mate.

I've always bought Canbus Error free ones, even the interior ones and never had any warning lights on the dash.

I've got LED number plate and interior boot bulbs which haven't caused any errors either.