Test drive of Octavia Elegance 150

I was in to the dealers who supplied my Superb today (Silbury at Cramlington) to get my car serviced (only it's second visit at 37k miles). I mentioned that the lease is up on the Superb at the end of the year and that I liked the look of the new Octavia. Justin was good enough to hand me the keys to a their demo Octavia 150CR Elegance with DSG and was happy for me to take it out with my wife to try it for myself. 

First off, I was really impressed by the extra space in the car. Slightly less legroom in the back compared to the Superb (what hasn't!) but still loads of room. I was thinking about the estate until I saw the size of the boot space in the hatch. Very impressed by the way it drove. The Superb I have (170 CR Elegance) is hardly a noisy car but this new Octavia is quieter still. Pick up from the new 150 TD seems similar to my 170, it probably is as my Superb is AWD and therefore heavier. Good ride and decent handling on the std suspension. I doubt I'd go for the DSG that this car had as I just prefer manuals but everything else about the car really impressed. The suggestion about the Octavia likely being capable of 10 miles more out of every gallon compared to my Superb (av over 37k miles approx 42 mpg) is a big incentive too. The std spec is generous (compared to the Golf I was considering) and with the price factored in, it looks like I'll be staying with Skoda.

• Like 2

Thanks fellas, I speak as I find, if I didn't like it I'd say so. Looks like the Elegance doesn't need many extras adding (the Winter pack is always a good idea). I'd be interested to hear opinion about the upgraded sound system on the new Octavia. I ticked this box when I got the Superb and I've been a bit disappointed by the upgrade. It's powerful enough but the vibration which sets in at even low volume spoils the experience. Is the Canton system any better from anyone who has listened to both?

Thanks fellas, I speak as I find, if I didn't like it I'd say so. Looks like the Elegance doesn't need many extras adding (the Winter pack is always a good idea). I'd be interested to hear opinion about the upgraded sound system on the new Octavia. I ticked this box when I got the Superb and I've been a bit disappointed by the upgrade. It's powerful enough but the vibration which sets in at even low volume spoils the experience. Is the Canton system any better from anyone who has listened to both?

I did a post on this subject after I did do a back to back comparison between my 10 speaker setup (same as the superb system you have), the Bolero with standard speakers and the Canton system. My conclusion was that the Canton was by far the best and offered exceptional value for money. I preferred it to the Golf's optional Dynaudio system also. :)

I did a post on this subject after I did do a back to back comparison between my 10 speaker setup (same as the superb system you have), the Bolero with standard speakers and the Canton system. My conclusion was that the Canton was by far the best and offered exceptional value for money. I preferred it to the Golf's optional Dynaudio system also. :)

That's good to hear, thanks. It sounds like a good upgrade for the money.

I was told today that September would be the time to order for delivery at the start of next year so plenty of time to consider options. As above though, the Octavia Elegance doesn't look like it needs much.

On that note, I'm half tempted to walk into my local VW dealer and ask the salesman if satnav is std on the Golf I looked at, just to see the expression on his face!

Nice to see an impartial post where you are commending the new Octavia despite the fact you currently own a different model! :)

Fair play to the OP, he was considering a move to the VAG Dark Side! :giggle: ...but the force is strong with the Flying Arrow! :bandit:   I had a very close shave with the Dagenham Dark Side before being offered a cracking deal on an Octy III, and don't regret it for one second! :D

• Like 2

Fair play to the OP, he was considering a move to the VAG Dark Side! :giggle: ...but the force is strong with the Flying Arrow! :bandit:   I had a very close shave with the Dagenham Dark Side before being offered a cracking deal on an Octy III, and don't regret it for one second! :D

For me, it's the overall experience. I haven't a bad word to say about the Skoda dealer I use plus the cars are good. I've found the VW dealers helpful too but, whilst I like the new Golf, it loses out to the Octavia on price, std spec and size. As for Ford, the current Mondeo seems a good car (based on a passenger ride I had in one). Sadly my last experience with a Ford dealer (when I went to look at a Mondeo prior to getting my current Superb) consisted in me walking into the dealers on a quiet weekday morning and getting ignored by two salesmen who were on the phone for several minutes. When I finally asked someone passing if I could speak to someone about a new car his response was, 'Er, I think everyone's busy...'. I walked out. Compare that to the experience from the Skoda dealer I use who listened to what I want and just handed me the keys to their demo to take out unaccompanied with no restrictions imposed. Suffice to say I've had three cars from them and considering a fourth.

• Like 1

I have the Canton system with Bolero and I find it super and now I see this was cheap. I recommend it. People only dislike it when comparing to Harman Kardon, Bang and Olufsen and other Audi, Bmw and Porsche luxury options. I find it better than the Bose in the Renault Megane Bose edition.

Edited by Harkonnen

I had my vRS in for its service on Wednesday and took a test drive in 2.0 diesel DSG Elegance estate.My other half has a 2.0 diesel Mk V Golf Estate which I am looking to replace.

I would echo a lot of the comments made by the OP. Loads of room inside, good NVH, build quality seems first rate and the standard spec on the Elegance models is pretty good.

Not sure I would spec the 18s but having sais that it still rode well. Does the Octavia have the full multi link rear suspension or is that being kept for the vRS?

The car seemed a little hesitant at first but I discovered it was set to Eco mode. The normal setting soon cured that. I tried the Sport setting on the bypass and was surprised how you could feel the suspension firm up. The engine was more eager to rev and the box willing to kick down inthe Sport setting as well.

I saw in the brochure that the Canton audio upgrade offers noise cancellation. Surely this has to be a must have option if it reproduces music better and effectively makes the car quieter inside.

Edited by CMcK

I tried the Sport setting on the bypass and was surprised how you could feel the suspension firm up.

Placebo effect of hitting something with Sport written on it I'm afraid - it has absolutely zero effect on anything suspension related.
  • Like 1

Placebo effect of hitting something with Sport written on it I'm afraid - it has absolutely zero effect on anything suspension related.

Ah well. Still a really nice motor though. Hopefully get the missus in for a test drive at the weekend.