1.8 TSI engine failure

Mike&Suzy

Hi All

I'm looking to see if anyone has had a similar experience or has any information on timing chain issues with the 1.8 TSI engine.

My Yeti which has just done 50k miles is currently with the dealers awaiting a new engine. Apparently the timing chain has slipped causing the valves to hit the pistons. At the moment Skoda have offered to cover 35% of the cost which I don't feel is sufficient. The car has been main dealer serviced from new. I've found some refernces to problems with the chain tensioner on the earlier engines which I believe covers mine and would like to find more details.

Mike

I'm looking to see if anyone has had a similar experience or has any information on timing chain issues with the 1.8 TSI engine.

All I know is that some earlier 1.8 TSI engines did have serious timing chain/tensioner issues as well as issues with oil consumption (due to piston rings). Some engines went out of order as early as after just 30K kilometres: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.skoda-club.ru%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D16%26t%3D47204

All I know is that some earlier 1.8 TSI engines did have serious timing chain/tensioner issues as well as issues with oil consumption (due to piston rings). Some engines went out of order as early as after just 30K kilometres: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.skoda-club.ru%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D16%26t%3D47204

I just love that Russian translation!  But not the problem :no:

• Like 1

The car is just over 3 and a half years old so out of warrantee. I'm hoping to get more support from Skoda, at this point the dealers are chasing on my behalf but I want to build as much information as I can to push my case. Interesting on the oil use point, I was using around 2ltrs between services, which I felt was high but two different dealers claimed was well in spec.

How about the thread below? Although all the failures listed involved 2.0TSI engines, I believe that the part which fails and leads to timing chain slip, ie the chain tensioner, is the same for both the 1.8TSI and 2.0TSI, as is the engine design.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/266114-octavia-ii-tsi-engine-failures/

I need to add your 1.8TSI to it, plus the Superb 1.8TSI which suffered timing chain slip following piston ring change. You know about that one.

Did the timing slip on startup and was there any pre-warning that things were not right, eg unusual noise. And can you post the actual age of the car and mileage when it happened?

This can happen with belt driven cambelts if the water pump fails, so it is essential to replace the water pump at cambelt change intervals. I'm not sure if this applies to chain driven cams though........ :whew:

In answer to the question did I have any warning yes,did it occur at start up the answer is I'm not sure. I had a slight miss fire which cleared very quickly, having had a Leon Cupra during the timing coil issues I wondered if that was the problem. At this point I got no warning lights and the car did the journey to and from work (44miles) without an issue. I called the dealers to ask if there were any known issues and was told not, and they would check at the next service if nothing further happened.

That evening the warning light came on and after that the car was more difficult to start, a couple of cranks rather than instant on the button. I drove the car into the dealers the following day taking it easy though it seemed to drive OK. Exact milage is 50397.

Just to update Skoda have offered 35% and Skoda Uk have offered a further 25%, I'm still looking at a bill of over £2000. The dealer is certain there are no published issues with The 1.8 TSI.

I thought the issue was only with the 2 litre engines... is the chain tensioner 100% the same between these and our 1.8TSi's? Personally, I'd hold out and increase the pressure on them to up the financial contribution. Best of luck with it.

This can happen with belt driven cambelts if the water pump fails, so it is essential to replace the water pump at cambelt change intervals. I'm not sure if this applies to chain driven cams though........ :whew:

The 1.8 (Gen. II) TSI engine has 3 chains: a timing chain, a chain that drives balance shafts, and a chain that drives the oil pump. The water pump is driven by one of the balance shafts via a small belt. So I reckon that a seized water pump is very unlikely (if at all possible) to cause any damage to the timing chain.

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-07-08%2520at%25

• Like 1

I thought the issue was only with the 2 litre engines... is the chain tensioner 100% the same between these and our 1.8TSi's?

The camshaft timimg chain, chain tensioner and slide rails are common to the 2.0TSI (CCZA), and to the 160PS (CDAA) and 152PS (CDAB) versions of the 1.8TSI engine.
  • Like 1

"Apparently the timing chain has slipped causing the valves to hit the pistons."

MiKE

Surely, if this had really happened it would not have been possible to drive the car into the dealer's shop??

Norry

Edited by Norry

I must admit I was surprised it was drivable, I took it easy, when I asked the dealer their view was the engine management copes with the timing issue and I guess driving gently it wasn't too bad. Only real issue was starting which took a bit of cranking over rather than on the button.

Very troubled to hear this - I had one of these down for my next car :wall:

Anyway best of luck with Skoda. I would certainly have thought a car's engine should have a service life well in excess of 3 1/2 years  / 50K miles.

It seems that Skoda UK also agree the engine failing at such a low milage is unacceptable. My case was escallated an I've now been offered 80% of the cost of a new engine. The people in the Skoda Care team have I'm pleased to say been very pleasant to deal with. Although I would prefer not to be picking up any of the bill I will be accepting the 80% and moving on. Longer term I think this may well be the end of my ownership of the Yeti, that said I need to find a car that fits the role of workhorse for a family with two activity obsesed teenage boys as well as the Yeti does.

It seems that Skoda UK also agree the engine failing at such a low milage is unacceptable. My case was escallated an I've now been offered 80% of the cost of a new engine. The people in the Skoda Care team have I'm pleased to say been very pleasant to deal with. Although I would prefer not to be picking up any of the bill I will be accepting the 80% and moving on. Longer term I think this may well be the end of my ownership of the Yeti, that said I need to find a car that fits the role of workhorse for a family with two activity obsesed teenage boys as well as the Yeti does.

Thats great to hear although I agree, it shouldnt be costing you anything at that young age/mileage! Well done Skoda care team who will no doubt be reading this. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Did those engine failures only happen in 2009-2010 cars, or is it an issue in 2011/2012 cars too? I own 1.8 tsi superb manufactured in march 2010 (55 000 km driven so far) and i wonder if it could help to replace chain drive (water pump, tensioner and all necessary stuff) with 2013 (upgraded?) parts. On the other hand, I would hate to pay 700£ for it, only to see it fail anyway.

Edited by Zuber
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Another 1.8tsi engine failure! My Yeti is 5 months out to of warranty with just 39,800 miles on the clock. The reasons for failure seems to be similar to the OP.

Have been offered 60% goodwill payment by Skoda, which having read around the forums seems to be rather inadequate for a problem that VAG are well aware of. Have contacted Skoda Customer Services to register my dissatisfaction and am holding out for a better offer. I'm now awaiting the response from their case manager before I consider my next step.

Gutted for you Minm, my 2.0tsi went about a month ago (see tsi engine fail posts) Luckily mine only jumped a few teeth so no major engine damage, just new tensioner chain and an oil valve that they say was clogged????

Hold out as long as you with SUK, mine was all covered under warranty even though i had just done the last service (Toyota Tech)

Phil

Ex owner here, 10 reg 1.2 tsi which I had to get rid of on third anniversary as soon as it was out of warranty. Very rough sounding, particularly on start up but let me down on three or four occasions, going into limp mode .Some of the problems were highlighted here if you see my history.

Anyway after using a full litre of oil n the last 3 thousand miles I just lost faith and am now in the Qashqai club. The Qash isn't nearly as good as the Yeti but I hope it turns out to be far more reliable. I see more problems surfacing in future as the mileage on these cars increases . By the way mine was on 40 thou when I got rid..