Whiteline ARB - Rear

Do they really make that much difference?

its the best bang-for-buck mod.

transforms the car's cornering abilitities!!

Edited by JR RS

Set it on medium & then try the following:

• Drive up a wide straight road doing about 60-80kph.  Swerve the car from left to right (like a racing car trying to heat the tyres before a race).  See how much the back jumps out.  If your comfortable with how lively the back end is then try it on hard.
  • Do the above on a wet road.
  • go into a sweeping corner at about 7/10ths - 8/10ths.  lift off the throttle at the apex.  Does it step out too quick?
  • As above - wet road
  • Are you always on your game when driving
  • Does anyone else drive the car that might not be as involved in "the drive" as you are?

I had the extra-heavy duty adjustable whiteline RARB on the back of my Gen2 Liberty/Legacy & when it was on hard it drove fantastic but you had to have your game-face on in the wet and "drive" the car or the back end would try & overtake you.  It was great if you were concentrating but if you wanted a bit of a lazy drive then medium worked better.

Id recommend Medium, its much better than stock, and if you really feel the need you can change to hard later, just dont blame us if you oversteer into a roundabout in the winter, lol

Another vote for medium here, I ran it on the stiffest setting and found it a bit unpredictable in the winter. The stiffest setting was really good in decent conditions, made the car feel really stable through high speed changes of direction. Medium doesn't feel quite so stable but any loss of grip in less than perfect conditions seems more controlled and predictable to me.

Also, it isn't mandatory to use matching holes, so you can use the middle hole on one side & the hard or soft hole on the other.  This can come in handy in some circumstances (circuit work or a really overweight driver).

.. not sure that would work?  its a single bar mounted at both ends, so the choice of hole is restricting the length that can twist/flex.  if you have uneven mounting holes used it won't be stiffer on one side vs. the other. 

i'd also be surprised if anyone is oval racing an octavia.. :)

.. not sure that would work?  its a single bar mounted at both ends, so the choice of hole is restricting the length that can twist/flex.  if you have uneven mounting holes used it won't be stiffer on one side vs. the other. 

i'd also be surprised if anyone is oval racing an octavia.. :)

It does work but not many people use it or need to fine tune their suspension to that extent.  The bar actually acts as a single spring, so the assymetric setting doesn't affect the left/right to any great extent (so part of what I wrote is incorrect).  If the bar was pegged to the chassis in the middle then you'd notice the difference quite a bit.

it just gives you a chance to go up in 0.5mm increments which is still significant change in torsion.

Whiteline had a tech bulletin about it on their website years back but I can't find it now.

They still say:

Whiteline adjustable sway bars offer from 2 up to 4 points of adjustment allowing in some cases 10 distinct stiffness settings for precise handling bias adjustment. The Whiteline blade is available across a huge range of applications.

also  some comments here

and here http://www.whiteline.com.au/articles/NASIOC_post_assymetric_adj.pdf

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?p=3165811#post3165811

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=284627

For those of you short of cash but with some practical skills, you can redrill the OEM bar to make a poor mans adjustable sway bar.  You can add about 30% more torsional stiffnes, which isn't much but better than nothing.

• 1 month later...

Had both the WALK and the RARB (medium setting, if I'm not wrong) on my MkII.

They made a massive difference: I could finally "turn" along those bends without having to lift my right foot :)

Too bad they don't seem to fit my new MkIII

So a question if you change the setting do you need to replace the nut everytime?

As I've read that both the clamp bolts and drop link nuts are one time use.

Asking as no dealers near me have any as they are order parts, so if this is the case I might as well order a few.

Each side with including hanging bolts is £4.50 so full set is £9.00 (for fitting the rarb).

Drop link nuts are only £1.15 plus vat. So cheap. I'll order a few extra and keep them in the parts box.

The parts guy said the the original bolts and nuts can be used again.

Reading all comments on the bar asked a well  known briskodian his views and having fitted one said did not notice any difference. The amount of cars he goes through, and spends vast amounts of money on suspension etc was considering the mod myself so now not so 

sure. When all you read is praise has any body else not noticed a difference.

I noticed a difference straight away, even though it was already lowered.  It was much stiffer across the back of the car.  Strange but - when driving the car it feels like it is stiffer across my shoulder blades, I assume this is because of the reduced body roll.  Do it, you won't regret it.

Reading all comments on the bar asked a well  known briskodian his views and having fitted one said did not notice any difference. The amount of cars he goes through, and spends vast amounts of money on suspension etc was considering the mod myself so now not so 

sure. When all you read is praise has any body else not noticed a difference.

IMHO, at sustained speeds it's impossible not to notice a consistent, huge difference while driving along bends.

Depends on the driver.

My missus wouldn't notice anything - she's basically oblivious to any changes to a vehicle whatsoever. This includes flat tyres, metal-on-metal brakes, warning lights on the dash (apparently this is just a "suggestion" that action might be taken some time in the next 2-3 months).

I don't see how you could not notice a 50-100% increase in rear roll stiffness - even going over speed humps at running pace on an angle is different

• Like 1

Was the car lowered friend i asked said his car was lowered so maybe did not notice because of his.

No mine was completely standard apart from the roll bar (it was a Neuspeed bar, not adjustable if that makes a difference)

I'm still tempted to get one for my Mk2 as that wallows a lot more