1.2Tsi spark plug life

Second service if on variable...so 37/38k miles for both my 1.4's; I don't expect the 1.2 to be any different??

Surely the service manual says what the interval is?

Interestingly, the OE plug is an NGK Iridium plug type IZFR6P7

Honda Civic 1.8 have a very similer OE plug IZFR6K11S - these are specced for 75,000 miles between changes

I wonder if this another case of VAG UK "4 year" service plans (as with cambelts - UK only!)

After all Fabia humble 1.2HTP use cheap standard plugs (Bosch FR7HC+) and they are deemed good for 40,000 miles (as service schedule and in practice...)

Edited by xman

Small point, re 40,000 miles and plugs in a vRS.

That is the official VAG Service Routine mileage for changing them, it does not mean that all are good to that mileage,

some have failed long before that.

(A figure reached by engineers and then printed 4 years ago before there ever were any engines being driven by private owners,

and them having experience of many Twinchargers actually covering 40,000 miles, just their Engine  Manufacturing experience.

So thats been proved in a few cases to not be the greatest.)

Maybe they will get around to changing the Plug Change mileage advice and maybe they will stick with what they first said,

they are not exactly quick to respond to problems or admit to them.)

Personally i would not go beyond 20,000 miles without at least having them looked at.

The plugs in the 1.2 tsi might well be OK to 40,000 miles or beyond,

but they still need removed and checked,

and personally if doing that you may as well change them, (they are not that expensive on economic cars with economic road tax,

so worth keepinhg running well IMO)

and Variable servicing is about Oil & Filter changes, it really does not cover maintenance or preventing bigger bills.

george

• Like 1

Plugs were fine in my twincharger Scirocco at 38k; shame they fitted the wrong ones at that point and caused engine failure shortly after, but that was VWs fault for having the wrong ones on their parts system.

They fitted the wrong plugs in some new cars from the factory as well.

'THey' are a little with plugs, as they are with tyres.  'these are the correct plugs, these are the plugs we currently have delivered, these are going in these engines.'

"Whats the worst that can happen!"

george

You know that because they lasted and were checked, someone removed the coils and took out the plugs.  

Most should be OK,

they all should be OK actually at 40,000 miles.

The ones that have lost a tip, or failed, caused misfires, or were damaged because of poor remaps or other tuning errors, or just looked sh1te well before 40,000 miles were not so good.

george

It doesnt stop Honda using virtually the same plug leaving them untouched for 75,000 miles and indeed Toyota use iridium plugs and spec 120,000 miles with no inspection regime - hardly companies used to taking risks.

Once you take a plug out, you've compromised the integrity of the seal (the washers already compressed) and its questionable if you should refit the plug.

The ones that have lost a tip, or failed, caused misfires, or were damaged because of poor remaps or other tuning errors, or just looked sh1te well before 40,000 miles were not so good.

All of which should be noticeable to the driver - misfires usually throws the engine check light. The VRS shambles seems to be down to wrong heat range plugs fitted and a supply chain problem.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

Knowing all that then, do not bother changing them until you want to, seems easy enough.

Its good you know about Honda and Toyota (Lexus) service inspection periods, ( just be sure they are the same type and price of plugs). just need to cram up on Skoda now.

http://www.densoiridium.com/faq.php

george

Thanks for the link, the NGK plugs use a 0.6mm tip.

The dealer will probably insist on changing the plugs on the 2nd (variable) service as its still in warranty and if its in the schedule. I will ask them to give me the old plugs (50/50 if that actually happens) and have a gander....

BTW I know Honda dealers charge around £150+ for a set of plugs - hope Skoda arent the same (a set from GSF would cost £72)

Edited by xman

xman, direct injection turbocharged engines are harder on their plugs than the Honda engines due to the wider range of combustion pressures and heat etc. It causes the plugs internal insulation to break down much earlier than if that same plug was being used in normally aspirated engines. Using a more high tec plug may help give more miles but at more cost so may not be worth it. Just don't go over the recommended miles for the plugs in your engine. It needs considerably more voltage to fire a plug once it gets a few thousand miles over it's recommended life span (you prolly know that).

• 6 years later...

To refresh the topic. 

Should I change or not the spark plugs on 1.2 tsi 66 KW CJZC engine on 60000 km (38000 miles) or not? The car manifacturer recommends, but fhe spurk plug manifacturer recommends to change double platinum spark plugs on 90000 km. Original spark plug is VW AG 04E905601B, made by NGK. WHO i need to listen? Car or spark plug manifacturer? 

You have an EA211 engine in a Fabia III, 16 valve, cambelt engine. Use double platinum plugs - platinum tip, platinum earth electrode. Individual coil packs mean they fire only on combustion stroke.

I have two cars with CBZA/CZBC EA111 8 valve, camchain engines. They use an iridium tip, platinum ground electrode. Waste spark system means they fire at double the rate, on both combustion and exhaust stroke.

Your EA211 engines run cooler exhaust temps due to integrated, water cooled exhaust manifold, so probably a little kinder to the plugs.

On my EA111 I've run a set to over 85,000 miles (136,000 km) without any misfire or running issues,  however on no.3 (known to run hotter than others due to exhaust manifold/turbo design) the welded platinum disc on the ground side had disappeared due to side erosion of the supporting ground electrode. Other sets to 60,000 miles without problem.

However VAG stick to 40,000 miles/2 years as it fits in nicely with their dealer servicing money maker.

As Rootytooty said, best to remove and examine (all 4 as often wear at different rates) Pop back in if OK or change if not or in doubt.

They are expensive. Cheapest for mine were from Opieoils.co.uk, quote Briskoda for 10% off if no better offers on.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BigJase88
9 minutes ago, dudule said:

Hello, someone said that it is not good to screw back the unscrewed  plugs. 

Please advise? 

It will be fine

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, dudule said:

What is the difference between 04E905601 and 04E905601B spark plugs? 

Looks like just a single B to me. 😀

Interesting info on here, I didn't realise some cars sparked on the exhaust stroke. Almost certainly to burn up any fuel and clean the emissions up. My ancient 2 stroke Suzuki GT250X7 used to do that because it saved bothering with any ignition timing.  If I had a 1.2 I'd use any suitable plug - so cheap really that if you got a slightly better MPG it would probably pay back anyway. Not replacing plugs at a service doesn't feel right, you should get something for your hard earned cash. 

• 1 month later...
On 09/11/2019 at 09:38, VRS_White_Hatch said:

Interesting info on here, I didn't realise some cars sparked on the exhaust stroke. Almost certainly to burn up any fuel and clean the emissions up. 

The previous EA111 8v 1.2 tsi engine used a "wasted " spark dual coil pack which incorporates 2 seperate coils where each one fires two cylinders. So on each exhaust stroke each cylinder has a wasted spark

Edited by bigjohn